Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A Newsreading Tip

Author Topic: A Newsreading Tip
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know whether you've seen this or not, in any case, check out www.remarq.com

It virtually transforms newsgroups into the UBB format we're used to on these forums (all messages seen neatly on one page, Reply buttons placed conveniently next to each and every one, threads move up or down based on the most recent messages).

It doesn't have nearly as many features as Deja, but at least the interface is not as cluttered, which cuts down on loading times and makes it easier to use for everyday newsreading. Perfect for someone stuck with public computers, and even better than Messenger or Outlook Express because of the unique format.

And THIS IS NOT A SPAM, IT'S A FRIENDLY ADVICE, so let's not delete threads automatically.

Boris

------------------

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited December 04, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but it IS in the wrong Forum. Honestly, some of you seem to think that if you post in more than one Forum you'll lose street-cred or something. Are you afraid that all the nerds will say "HA-HA! Boris posted in the Officer's Lounge, so he can't be a SERIOUS starship expert" or something?
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some people only read certain forums.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deja's better, and RemarQ == Supernews, which is currently cracking under pressure and has really crappy retention...

------------------
Jubes, holding dinner: "What will you give me for the food?"
Me: "My virginity..."
-- Actual quote

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to use "Dejanews" back before I had any idea how to use a real newsreader. But then they went and got all shortened and stuff. I don't know, it just doesn't strike my fancy anymore. Which isn't to say that some sort of global rating system isn't a good idea.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps