Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Speaking Words of Wisdom...

Author Topic: Speaking Words of Wisdom...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin, whose little boy turns five this coming year, has asked me (ME, of all people!) to give her bits of wisdom for her kid when he gets a bit older and can read, as well as for her to remember and teach him.

So, besides "stay away from your Uncle Rob, he's a looney," I came up with five things. Anybody else want to give some thoughts to the kid?

1.) READ. Read as much as you can, about everything you can. Never let anybody tell you what you are allowed to read or think or know. Anyone who does is trying to enslave you, even though he may not think so himself.

2.) When you were very young, you drove people nuts always asking "why?" and "what for?" Don't ever stop. Asking why may get you a lot of angry glares, or worse (look up 'Socrates' when you get older). These will come mostly from people who either have no idea what they're talking about, or do, but are lying.

3.) Treat women with kindness, respect, and care, and you'll see that the ones worth finding will eventually seek YOU out. It may take a while for them to get around to it, though. Have patience.

4.) Do unto others the way you would lke them to do unto you... as long as they do the same unto you. If someone does poorly by you, forgive them... the first time. Let them know that their chances are limited. (Hurt me once, forgive you. Hurt me twice, forget you.)

5.) 80% of the people who tell you that THEY know better than you what is good for you are LYING. 80% of the rest are WRONG. Your mother is probably not one of these people, but take care even still.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad. All I can really think of to add is "stay away from your Uncle Rob, he's a looney!"

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tolerate ignorance, in yourself or in others. See my signature... :-)

Don't hate people for something that isn't their fault.

Learn, not because you're forced to, but for the sake of knowledge itself.

Someone whose name escapes me at the moment once said something like this, but I'm going to change it a little: Look at what is and ask "why?". Then look at what isn't and ask "why not?".

People are stupid. Don't do what they do, just to be like them, because it's probably better not to be like them.

Boldly go where no-one has gone before.

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*was almost tempted to say "Always wear sunscreen.", but thought better of it* :-)

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Some people see things that have been done and ask 'Why?'. But I dream things that were never made and I ask 'Why Not?'"

I think it was some famous president or something. *shrugs*

I think you should add something about religions to that, First.... something like "Don't let anyone tell you what religions is right or the best or good, and don't let anyone tell you that you NEED a religion".

------------------
"SHOES!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I don't think it was a president. I do think, though, that it was somebody w/ three names (i.e. they are usually known w/ their middle name intact).

And, regarding the religion thing, how about "Religion is a surmountable archetype which is often little more than an excuse for people to hate each other or a means by which one person controls another. You're better off without it."

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Religion is a surmountable archetype which is often little more than an excuse for people to hate each other or a means by which one person controls another. You're better off without it."

Uh... not everybody uses it like that, you know.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps you could let the little kid decide wether or not he's better off without religion. It's really up to him. Nobody else.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And most important, never get so caught up in work that you don't have time to relax. Life's a ride, so have fun.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember City Slickers?

Find the one thing in life that gives you purpose (or something like that).

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chivalry is not dead.
Be true to your heart.
Don't stay in bad relationships.

And one I live by

Strip clubs are a great way to relax.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Or, in the words of former president George Bush, "Chivalry is only reasonably dead." :-)

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think I covered religion in my points 1,2, and 5.. if you think about it.

Keep it coming, I won't see her until the New Year at the earliest.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and a myriad of other devices. Which is a good way to do it, as opposed to not stating that the poor child does have a choice and that all religion for every purpose is naughty.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think about things before you do them.

Learn from other's mistakes, better yet learn from your own.

Remember that you have to live your life or it will pass you by.

Shut up and listen, you might learn something.

Learn History so you don't repeat the lessions of the past.

Go outside and play, your only young once.

Whatever you do keep learning, knowledge is power.

Do on to others as you would do on to yourself.

Love yourself.

Listen to your parents, sometimes they actually give good advice.

Love your family, one day they be gone.

My only question is now when will I follow my own advice .

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.