Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Safety Bulletin or absurd death?

Author Topic: Safety Bulletin or absurd death?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You decide: Underwire Bras Deadly.

Read the article. Then comment.

It's not as funny as other Darwin Awards, but it got me thinking -- just what is the function of a brassiere underwire (apart from making the wearer uncomfortable)?

--Baloo

------------------
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle.
--MoosieGirl (From the SDMB)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard some stories along those lines, whether they are true or not remains to be seen.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its a hoax... Lightning would have killed them anyways whether they had the underwire anyways, and the metal use is so small it wouldn't be able to carry a surge of the lightning order.

------------------
"I suppose you thought I was dead? No such thing. Don't flatter yourselves that I haven't got my eye upon you. I am wide awake, and you give plenty to look at."
Household Words, Aug. 24, 1850
From the Raven in the Happy Family

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree that the lighting would have killed them. But metal conducts electricity no matter what. The size and strength of the wire only determines if it is vaporized.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In responce to Baloo:

Seeing that I am one of the few women on this board usually, I guess I'll jump up to explain the point of underwires.....

Support.

Bingo. That's it. Support. Without them, many activities in day to day life are WAY less comfortable to do, and your boobs tend to get in the way more...

Dead serious on this, it's the honest to goodness truth. I used to HATE the concept of underwires, but since I've started wearing them (When you hit a certain size, all you can FIND are underwires....) I've decided that I like them WAY more... my shape is better, they fit nicer, and whoa, baby do they support better! *L*

*ahem* Anyway... now you know.... from a female point of view.

~LOA

------------------
"The battle is raging inside my weary heart
screaming for me to let it all go...
My body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underwires cause lightning death?

Fine, so do Jockstraps too.

Couple of years ago, a baseball player was struck by lightning and killed. Reason? He was wearing a metal cup.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which just goes to show how sometimes safety equipment is a safety liability.

I tend to agree that the "underwire = lightning magnet" theory is pretty lame. After all, they were standing under a tree when they were struck. They were at risk even if they'd been wearing latex catsuits and rubber shoes.

--Baloo

------------------
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle.
--MoosieGirl (From the SDMB)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's an excuse to write about bras without getting smacked for it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps