Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Y2K and The Meaning of Life (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Y2K and The Meaning of Life
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, reagrdless of what people think, 2000 is the final year of the twentieth century. It's a simple fact. I'll admit, it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. The calendar system in reference begins at the year 1, not 0, and there's nothing to be done about it.

Here's one way around it: Don't think of the turnover as midnight, January 1, 2000. Think of it as the middle of Julian Day 2,451,544. Not quite so mystical-sounding, is it?

Anyway, regarding the music thing... I've begun to think in recent times that we are actually witnessing the death of rock and roll (meaning that it really isn't being produced as a large portion of music these days). Does anyone else think that's true?

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey wait a minute TSN are you saying that the Julian Calender goes back to the year 4716 B.C.

By my estimates we are exactly (depending on your time zone) on the 730,120th day day since they decided 1 A.D. would be where they restarted the calender.

Of course I could be wrong, happy new year and hope everyone has fun waiting 365 more days to the next Y2001 .

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for clarification, 2000 is a leap year, correct?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, more Y2K bugs to come in Feb.

------------------
Peace on Earth

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*digs his way out of the bunker*
*looks around*

As Q said in "All Good Things..."

"Awww.. nothing happened..."

Guess I'll have to do it myself.

*makes note to call up local ultraconservative radio talk-show host who predicted widespread chaos, and belittle same*

and I failed to convince any of that bunch of Christians who DID believe that the world would end to show a final act of faith by transferring all their worldly property to me.

Oh, well, there's always next year. Gullible Fundies will always be with us.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 02, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMSWS: Actually, I believe the Julian Period starts at noon, January 1, 4713 BC.

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the ka-boom?
There was supposed to be an earth-shattering ka-boom!

Delays, delays...

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.