Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Happy Sept. 11th... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Happy Sept. 11th...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...wanting to carpet bomb any country where they talk funny..."

Careful, "governor", or you "blokes" may be next...

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is interesting to note that this country has been attacked many times over by terrorists before the WTC bombing in February 1993. A bomb killed a dozen people in Wall Street around 1913. Some Puerto Rican nationalists set off hordes of bombs in New York in the 50's. And I would say the assassination attempt on Harry Truman was a terrorist incident.

Plus, although these are not terrorist attacks, the Japanese did invade the Aleutian islands during World War II (although Alaska was more of a US territory and not our soil). Also, the Japanese flew across the Pacific in hot-air balloons and dropped some bombs in Washington state, and killed a family.

Now, I'm not saying anyone said terrorism in America started with the WTC bombing, I'm saying it has been around for longer than some might think.

--------------------
Meh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ballons were unmanned....

It has, hell, the mobsters having their wars, now the gangs...

I wasn't trying to garner support, just making a comment that the weapons of war, while doing their jobs, do make some interesting sights.

Yes, your troops are already in Northern Ireland, so the invasion is complete.

Does anybody remeber a movie that came out quite sometime ago where terrorists made a strike in someplace like Beverly Hills, or some ritzy shopping area. Walked along and tossed grenades in to the shops and cafes. This is all I remember of it.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I wouldn't call the IRA a good example. They only started bombing you AFTER you invaded and occupied their country.

Oh, man, realizing that has given me all sorts of mean-spirited new ideas...

Isn't it about time for some UN sanctions against this imperialist occupying force controlling the Ulsterian people?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean to say Palestinian extremists DIDN'T start blowing themselves to kingdom come until WELL after the formation of Israel?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Yeah, I wouldn't call the IRA a good example. They only started bombing you AFTER you invaded and occupied their country.

Riiiigggghhht. There is the matter that Northern Ireland is part of the UK, and the majority of the population wishes to remain that way, and that the IRA is more based in the Republic, which I don't believe we've occupied (unless I've missed a memo), so yeah, I wouldn't call the IRA a good example either.

quote:
Also, the Japanese flew across the Pacific in hot-air balloons and dropped some bombs in Washington state, and killed a family.

My god! A whole family was killed! In war time! No wonder you got the nukes out.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Careful, "governor", or you "blokes" may be next...

Sorry "dude". I don't want to come across as if I'm "totally Jonesin'".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Riiiigggghhht. There is the matter that Northern Ireland is part of the UK, and the majority of the population wishes to remain that way, and that the IRA is more based in the Republic, which I don't believe we've occupied (unless I've missed a memo), so yeah, I wouldn't call the IRA a good example either.
[/QB]

Actually we did occupy what is now the Republic. But then we um... unoccupied it. We didn't do that in NI because the people there wanted to remain part of the UK. This is called democracy. You may have heard of it. The IRA is a small and unnecessarily violent minority. Yes, the 11th September attacks were terrible but many other nations have gone through far worse and yet make less of a fuss about it. Hell, if we had national holidays for every IRA attack we'd never get anything done!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it I'm always hearing "It's the worst terrorist attack in American history?", not "the worst terrorist attack in history?". Sure, it's been the worst for us, but, as far as I know, no other country has ever suffered a terrorist attack that has killed 2,800 people. Do the repeated suicide bombings in Israel count as one big terrorist event? Does Saddam Hussein's gassing of the Kurds in '88 count? Just a question I've been pondering for a year and three days.

--------------------
Meh

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herewegoagain. Terrorist attack is a little bit up there on the hardtodefine scale.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And even higher up on the subjectiveterm scale.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The atomic bombs were the worst terrorist attacks in history. Why? They were used to instill terror to the Japanese people and government, the aim was to end WWII with minimal loss of life to the Allies. It worked.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is the matter that Northern Ireland is part of the UK
Riiiiiiight.

#1. England invaded and occupied Ireland (including Northern Ireland). It may have happened 900 years ago, but it still happened.

#2. Although the majority of occupied territory was eventually released, Ulster is still occupied. They remain under foreign rule since the "intifada" of the late 60's-early 70's.

#3. England built settlements on Irish land, moving British citizens in in successive waves of "relocations," adding a veneer of legitimacy to their occupation. Otherwise they would clearly not have enough votes in the occupied territory to win any legitimate referendum.

#4. The British maintain "Diplock" courts, for trial without jury, a practice widely condemned by human-rights organizations for compromising due process (sounds familiar)

We demand the immediate withdrawal of UK forces and settlements from the occpied territories in Northern Ireland, with UN sanctions to be imposed in the event of noncompliance.

Of course, I'm just being a bastard, and you could easily apply the "invasion and occupation" stigma to every country in the Western Hemisphere and many in the Eastern.

But it's funny how, when you expand ideals that seem applicable to ONE situation, they don't always seem applicable to similar ones.

quote:
The IRA is a small and unnecessarily violent minority
sounds like the PLO.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

"unnecessarily violent minority"

By whose standards, the oppressed or oppressor?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't want to come across as if I'm 'totally Jonesin''."

Unfortunately, I don't actually know what that means...

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps