Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Send in the Clowns... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Send in the Clowns...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible disgusting details and probable flame-restarting comments ahead. Read carefully.
One of my co-workers this morning told the story of a friend of hers who had a baby girl. Early on in the pregnancy, they knew something was badly wrong, but rather than abort they chose to carry her to term.

She was born with part of her brain and most of her abdominal organs outside her body. She lived for about 20 minutes.

Life. What a beautiful choice.

--------------
On the tombstone of an infant:
"It is so soon that I am done for,
I wonder what I was begun for."

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the people or the situation early in pregnancy, so I cannot give proper judgment. Were they Christians who refused to abort the baby no matter what? Did the doctors tell them or did they even know exactly what was going to happen? Did they know the baby wouldn't have lived anyway?

What's your point with this, First? They were presented with a choice, and they chose not to abort. The results might have been sad, but they had made the choice. Maybe there was a hope that it'll come out all right. If it were me, I'd probably abort it if I were 100% sure it's not gonna live.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did something like that not show up on the tests? In fact, if it had part of its brain and abdominal organs on the outside, how did it survive in the womb in the first place?

Test can pinpoint an extra chromosome. How did they miss that?

------------------
'Those are the headlines. Happy now?'
-Chris Morris.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medical science is not perfectly accurate when it comes to prognostication.

Babies who were diagnosed with defects turn out perfectly normal & vice versa. Not 100% of the time, of course, but if there is any chance in the unborn child's favor, many parents will take it.

Some children are born with Downs' syndrome. If you didn't know your child had this until it was born, would you regret not having an abortion or would you love this child with all your heart? If you haven't considered questions like that you shouldn't consider having children until you have.

The problem with abortion, from my perspective, is that it is promoted by some as a safe and convenient alternative to contraception. The best method of contraception is abstinence, but the second best, the condom, prevents many sexually transmitted diseases, in addition to it's primary function. Abortion is a surgical procedure. The survival rate is quite good, but not as good as the survival rate of condom users. I am certain that no-one has ever been killed by properly using a condom.

(Upon reflection, I suppose some may complain as if proper condom use is fatal. Rest assured it is not.)

Unprotected sex, unless engaged in with the clear understanding that children may result, is irresponsible.

--Baloo

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 25, 1999.]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.