Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Dems take hit for illegal contributions. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dems take hit for illegal contributions.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just love being right.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/23/elec02.fec.dnc/

quote:

The FEC's general counsel recommended a more severe penalties, but the three Democratic election commissioners blocked those recommendations on 3-3 tie votes

All those not surprised?
quote:

Scott Thomas, one of the Democratic commissioners who voted against stronger action, filed an 11-page statement to explain his votes, saying that "for the most part the DNC seems to have been the victim of unscrupulous or careless donors and fund-raisers."

Riiiight. Oh, wait, Gore WAS a fund-raiser, wasn't he? RIGHT!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it when Rob feels the need to prove himself after taking an ass-whipping in one anti-Republican thread by posting at least two anti-Democrat threads.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"oh noes, that donor carelessly gave us millions in illegal money! that can't be our fault, no sir ree bob". fucking democrats. they're even worse than republicans.
IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Snay, I'm biting back in that thread, too.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a baby kitten without teeth.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

It doesn't take a large animal to attack a smokescreen.

Discuss the topic, or crawl back under your rock.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Six years ago, that's the best you can do? At least Democrats supported new laws to restrict this happening again. I wonder why most Republicans opposed it, because they rely heavily on illegal donations? I think so.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering Governor Bush is breaking fund-raising records while this "war" is going on, I'm not sure how far one wants to go down the 'your-side-is-worse-than-we-are' when it comes to raising funds.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Breaking records isn't necessarily breaking laws, Jay. False comparison?

quote:
Six years ago, that's the best you can do? At least Democrats supported new laws to restrict this happening again.
I'm betting that they just haven't gotten around to the more recent violations yet.

I tell you what. I have a campaign finance reform proposal.

We've already limited contributions from individuals.

Next step, TOTALLY ban campaign contributions from any organization, NGO, Union, non-profit group, church, PAC, etc. If an entity can't vote, it can't donate.

Also ban individual contributions from any individual receiving the entirety of their salary from any governmental body (who is not a government employee.)

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
I just love being right

I just hope you're not saying that to hail the almighty GOP and to bash the Democrat Scum.

quote:
Next step, TOTALLY ban campaign contributions from any organization, NGO, Union, non-profit group, church, PAC, etc. If an entity can't vote, it can't donate.

Then ban Businesses, Business Groups, and Right Wing Federations like the NRA and so-called "Taxpayers Federations". After all, they are entites too right?

A Similar provincial law that was being debated in Ontario would ban any union, non-profit group, and the whatnot from donating to any political party. Of course, this meant that while the left-wing politicians would be starved of campaign funds from its traditional allies (unions, non-profit groups, etc), the right-wing would roll in the dough from the loot provided by businesses, business groups, and the Canadian Federation of Taxpayers (which for some damned reason, was not deemed non-profit). Those "entities" were not targeted under the legislation. Rather than amend the bill to ban the others, the right-wing provincial government decided to remove the bill altogether. Figures.

Oh, and be warned, there was some kind of legal loophole somewhere that allowed the use of proxy donations. One man enlisting others to donate his money to the political party of his choice, but not necessarily from him.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I think it'd be simpler if anyone was allowed to donate to anyone else, but every cantidate was required to reveal ALL of their financial information, everything taken in and given out, for the last, say, four years. That way we'd know exactly who donated what, and if we had a problem with it, well, we wouldn't vote for 'em, and the politicians wouldn't control who donated money to their adversaries.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten years and you've got a deal.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be a good idea, but if someone gave me $525,000.00 and asked that I donate $500,000.00 in my name to certain political groups and individuals then it wouldn't work. Well, for me it would...

Then you have the politics of the people that are running the data center, leaving out info, changing it... or, if each poli does it themselves you end up with the 'I don't recal' syndrom...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Republic of Ireland has banned political donations of all sorts and instead the government doles out the same amount of public money to every officially-recognized political party. Perhaps Grocka could correct me here. It certainly does seem to be the only way to get around Ritten's problem.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also hear that when a candidate displeases them, they incinerate him or her in an explosion within their automobile. seems sound.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps