Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Calculus

Author Topic: Calculus
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooohh did I screw up this time. The bane of all college students with "attendence optional" classes... I skipped a hell of a lot of calculus. To be specific, I skipped well over 90% of the sessions. As a result, I am failing, miserably. However, my professor is one of the rare breed that allows one to take their exam grade as their final grade if it is above their actual numerical average. Now I've got the interesting task of learning a full semester in roughly two weeks. I figure a chapter a night for the first week combined with reviewing for the second and I should be fine... yeah right. I already dicked around too much last semester, which resulted in me being on probation. I got a 1500 on the SAT, and my GPA after a semester of college was a 1.91... proof positive that high school and test scores don't mean crap once you're out. I've learned my lesson, now, so I should be fine in the future. Well, fine until I'm looking to intern at Lockheed or NASA and they decide to look back at my freshman year... =(

I should have stuck with graphic design instead of aerospace engineering... with AP scores, I would have had no math, no english, no science, and just art for four years. Now I've got five or six years just for the bachelor's, four semesters of calculus, two of physics, plus statics, fluid dynamics, orbital mechanics, mission planning, computer programming, material analysis, and god knows what else... damn.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calculus was organized by Isaac Newton... who reportenly died a virgin.

Coincidence? I think not...

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROTFL* First of Two!

------------------
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives......

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we just have a talk about swearing in the Forums! Reynolds said the C-word!

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isaac Newton a virgin?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/960621.html

Apparently so.

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came into college as a music education major. After a year and a half, I realized that I sucked at playing the trumpet. I'm now a computer science major. I have calculus to look forward to next year. I took it my senior year and got a C for the first semester and a nice F+ for the second semester. I'M GOING TO DIE IN CALCULUS! AUGH!

"If we all took leaps of faith like we take calculus, we'd be a bloody mass at the bottom of some cliff." -- the slogan for the 2nd period calculus class my senior year.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryan, I know exactly what you mean. I won't go into all the gruesome details (as they aren't that interesting), but getting to class isn't exactly a skill of mine.

Still...results count for something too. I wouldn't worry too much about it ruining your future plans.

------------------
"It was sweet, like lead paint's sweet, but the aftereffects left me paralyzed."
--
They Might Be Giants

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides Calculus, I'd like to kill the person or people responsible for Algebra. I hate that course even more than Calculus.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only one thing worse than calculus: partial differential equations. They are the tool of the devil. If you think calculus and algebra are hard, then my advice would be to run as soon as you hear the words "Fourier Series", or "Laplace Equation".

After doing four calculus courses, I do have one word of advice, do the past exams if you can find them. They saved me this year when I wrote the exam for the last calculus course I had to take.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps