Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Pipe Control (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pipe Control
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As more reports filter in from Colorado, it appears that many of the killed and wounded were not injured with guns, but with the pipe bombs used by the maniacs.

Now, since pipe bombs and their use are already illegal, further steps must be taken.

I propose a pipe-control program. There are entirely too many pipes around where the average person can get their hands on them. I've seen children playing with pipes. A lot of people keep pipes in their house, unknowingly risking their lives and the lives of their families.. who knows what could happen if those pipes were to fall into the wrong hands, or to be used unwisely?

We should have a ban on private ownership of pipes. We should have a cash for pipes exchange program, to get people to take pipes out of their house and give them to the authorities. Plus we need to educate more people on the dangers of pipes and pipe use.

Pipes are bad.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may be fine and dandy, but how many of those killed were killed by pipe bombs?

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least one of the pipe bombs had nails. the nails are projected with the fragments of the bomb and can cause injury and death.
IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is that building a pipe bomb is already a criminal act (or isn't it in the USA?), not only using it. There is a long way from conceiving and constructing one (I wouldn't know how) to the eventual crime, while getting a gun seems a lot easier (also morally). Only real criminals planning their deeds for a long time do use pipe bombs, so what would your ironic proposal help? I don't really see your point.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Simon
Ex-Member

I think the only solution to the problem of pipe bomb proliferation is to give them to everybody. Make them completly legal and easy to come by and I'm sure pipe bomb crimes will decrease. As well to prevent a return to our current situation we must entrench the right to own pipe bombs in the constitution.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest we just ignore the problem, and blame in on the Americans. Oh, wait...

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two's message was satire, of course. I mean, you could even bludgeon someone to death with a pipe...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Quintesson: "You are the Autobot named Kup. You are Cybertron's chief of security."
Kup: "Nah, my name's Teaspoon, and I'm Cybertron's chief dishwasher."

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Bernd
On the web there are directions for making every kind of bomb-small pipe bombs to bombs used in the Oklahoma incident. Print the instructions. Build a bomb very carefully. Use said bomb. How do you think these middle class, unloved children get the information to create bombs? Like you and me, they were residents of the net and found a "room" with information on bombs, nazism, and other hateful, spiteful rhetoric one can imagine.

Chimaera
Ex-Member

Well, you could bludgeon someone to death with a gun too, if you really wanted to, or just couldn't find the trigger.

Actually, the funny thing is, as far as I know, Americans don't have the constitutional right to own pipes, so taking them away would actually be easier. Then again, I hear the pipe lobby is quite powerfull in Washington.....

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need I say this?

Pipes don't kill people, people kill each other with other people.

------------------
"You can burn a man's house & possesions, you can kill his friends, his family, but the most dangerous man is one that has nothing left to lose."

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come ON now! . . .

People..........I mean.........o_O.
A PIPE BAN? *LMAO* I can just imagine. These police cars roaming the neighborhood, knocking on people's doors and saying, "Excuse me sir. But you need to give us your pipes. Now.", while the house owner looks on, bemused as hell. *LOLOL* Look. Even if you did take away guns, people could always build more guns. Out of what, you ask? Parts. Just as a pipe is a component in a pipe-bomb....oh, let's say....err, I don't know much about guns. But just as a pipe is a component in a pipe-bomb, an *insert common component of a gun that is used Elsewhere* is a component of a gun. So what are you going tah do? Ban the insert common component of a gun that is used Elsewhere*? HA!.....hehe

------------------
post by ��Cody�� the Insane One :-)

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cody....it was a joke, dude.
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A ban on pipes?

It'll never work in Scotland!

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

Pipes bombs may be illegal already, but I bet it's easier to get your hands on a gun than a pipe bomb down there.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest an immediate ban on any object that is harder than unfired clay. An amount of such objects sufficiently massive to damage another person with would be so unwieldy that the defender could saunter away unharmed whilst his attacker risked a hernia if he gave chase with his weapon.

Oops! I just remembered something. Our bones are harder than unfired clay! I propose a legal requirement for all persons strong enough to lift a (soft rubber) beer glass be required to wear extensive padding so as to render impact with any part of their body harmless.

C'mon, folks. Just how far are we willing to go before we admit that people are the problem, and people, not laws, are the solution?

--Baloo

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 24, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps