Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » House of Lords reform (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: House of Lords reform
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt200203/jtselect/jtholref/17/1702.htm

Well, the Commons was debating today about the future of the HoL (possibly tomorrow as well, not sure). The govt report above details the options (Part 5); personally I'm in favour of option 1, which is similar to the Canadian Senate (I think). This is basically because it will keep the crossbenchers (the most important part of the HoL and possibly Parliament) and also keeps down the number of politicians, which can only be a good thing.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting, Wraithy, but - from past experience of such discussions - don't expect too many responses. The Yanks only care about their own political system, and how they can force it on others. I suppose you can't blame the poor little mites, really, once they've managed to understand how Electoral Colleges work there's not a lot of room left in their brains for much else than celebrity gossip. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well really, your governmental system is quite odd. Lords that aren't lords, Commons that aren't commoners, and people who actually say "Hem" and "Haw" when they hem and haw.

Plus the text of the article is so dry, it's hard to stay awake long enough to decipher what they're planning from the original Britlegalese into American English.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be argued that your Representatives aren't particularly representative, nor your President particularly presidential

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we drive on parkways and park in driveways!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dia-bolical!
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VP: yeah, I thought that'd be the case. Still, can't help but try to educate the poor things. [Smile]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
It could be argued that your Representatives aren't particularly representative, nor your President particularly presidential

It could also be argued that their Queen isn't particularly royalty either, though, right? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you've quite got this, have you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

So does anyone actually have an opinion on this? At all? After all it is the most important contitutional change in the UK for decades!

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry. Though I do my best to keep on top of international affairs, quite frankly keeping track of our OWN archaic domestic politics is so difficult that I can't really spend much time figuring out other countries' archaic domestic politics.

[Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
British government makes my brain hurt. I mean, you people have a monarch who does nothing but wear funny hats and wave at people rather than any sort of governing whatsoever. Explain the point of that.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, she's not about to invade country A for something done by someone from (and funded by) country B, who also doesn't like country A either. That's got to count for something. And. . . wait a minute, why am I defending the Royal Family? Fuck 'em.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, she's not about to invade country A for something done by someone from (and funded by) country B, who also doesn't like country A either.

Point. But then again, if that's the standard for a good ruler, then I can't think of any bad ones.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
British government makes my brain hurt. I mean, you people have a monarch who does nothing but wear funny hats and wave at people rather than any sort of governing whatsoever. Explain the point of that.

Tourism.

Now you explain the electoral college.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps