Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » That's it, Iraq . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: That's it, Iraq . . .
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I've never understood people's adoration of celebrities. Sometimes it just gets really creepy.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen, gentlemen, hang on:

1. All I ever heard from Iraq post Sept. 11 was the "if you ask for it" thing (which was tolerably asslike), and the morons cheering in the street. I did see the reports shown and translated on CNN a year afterward, which were rather flippant toward the tragedy and which included some standard party lines against American aggression, but that was it.

2. Individuals cheering in the street over September 11 are stupid and/or evil people . . . but that, in and of itself, does not demand that an invasion occur. This is not to say that I would disagree if someone were to ID each person seen cheering and perform almost any level of horribleness against them, but that's neither here nor there.

3. My opinion on Iraq was "iffy" in regards to "right now". Saddam Hussein is an evil shit, but I questioned the need of (A) an invasion (B) right now. I would have been perfectly happy with a simple assassination or some sort of kidnapping/arrest/regime-toppling, under the theory that most of the rest of Iraq was composed of decent human beings. I still hold that theory. However, the Columbia comments piss me off, and therefore I want (A) the most expeditious method of getting him out of there (B) right now.

He is not just a major asshole. To be so overjoyed by a tragedy that so touches the world is sick. And if he really was all smiles on September 11, too, then by damn he's dehumanized himself right out of the human race, in my book.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guardian 2000: "This is not to say that I would disagree if someone were to ID each person seen cheering and perform almost any level of horribleness against them, but that's neither here nor there."

Before you said that, you had a decent post there. Too bad.

I would support war against Iraq if it meant the percentage of their people that DOESN'T like Saddam and HAVE been
oppressed, tortured and inhumanly treated could get somewhat of a break in their lives.
Not that it will be that easy, it could get worse, just like last time.

As for the reactions to the people being happy for 9/11, you obviously haven't contemplated that same phenomenon in
the streets of New York when they'd found out Berlin had fallen, the last of the german army lay dead or were being
marched into Moscow and Hitler had finally met a gruesome death.

Those people reacted to the news from the basis of the information they had received, that Hitler was a ruthless
dictator, that the germans were all like totally evil, that the hope of the
free world depended on the last armies of the allies defeating the Axis powers.

In the case of Hitler, we all agree we were right.

So what do you know about the information the modern middle-eastern "dancing-in-the-street" people have been fed during the last century?

And how much of it could potentially be true, about us?

Or if not necessarily us, but the portion of our populations that gladly would kill the muslim religion once and for all,
outlaw the old barbaric customs and justice systems and save the heretics from hell? Or just nuke'em if they're being stubborn?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship Millennium--I believe that Iraq DOES treat women well. I believe they can walk the streets freely, reveal themselves, and drive. Now, Saudi Arabia, our ALLY, does not allow this. Women must be accompanied by men at all times. they cannot drive. They must wear veils, or they can be executed. So, for a woman, Iraq is much better place to live.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

(Note: I am in no way expressing support for Saddam Hussein)

You know, there's another thing I need to get off my back...if Iraqis realized how supid some Americans are, they would laugh!. Most of them can't find Iraq on a map. While at my high school, asking people if they could find Iraq on a map, they said "I don't need to know that. It doesn't affect me" and "Just because I don't know where it is doesn't mean I can't talk about what's going on there." I believe I'm the only person that knew where the country was. In fact, three people said the country was in Europe!

They also said "Oh yeah, Saddam Hussein--he's that Communist guy, right?" Communist? Saddam hates god-less Communists! Is every enemy of our country Communist?

Lastly, they can't tell Saddam from bin Laden...some said that we were chasing and couldn't find Saddam Hussein, others said bin Laden or whoever that guy is is the leader of Iraq.

*Sigh* Where is our country going?
OK, OK, that is my rant about American teenagers/current events. Continue with more Iraq bashing, please.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iraq of course being well known as a hotbed of geographical awareness.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

I assume most people there can find the US on a map, although I can't be sure.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Here's an interesting story:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77333,00.html

This proves some people in Iraq sympathize with us. Yes, some papers say its "God's Vengenace," but just take a look.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
I assume most people there can find the US on a map, although I can't be sure.

To be fair, the US (for better or worse) is the world's only superpower, so it's not surprising that most people can locate it.

It's also slightly bigger than Iraq, which aids in the spotting.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's also in a bright primary color, depending on what age group the map was drawn for. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Starship Millennium--I believe that Iraq DOES treat women well. I believe they can walk the streets freely, reveal themselves, and drive. Now, Saudi Arabia, our ALLY, does not allow this. Women must be accompanied by men at all times. they cannot drive. They must wear veils, or they can be executed. So, for a woman, Iraq is much better place to live.

So is Saddam's harem just a rumor?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's certainly grounds for war.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to go to war. I didn't join the Navy to fight in a war much less die in one. If President Bush, who in my opinion is a dumbass, wants to go to war with Iraq so bad let him go there and do it himself. It's a lot easier to sit in the White House and order people to fight and die for your cause than to do it yourself.

There are plently people on my ship that also agree. They don't want to go on this 6+ month deployment to the Persian Gulf. Which means other people on other ships don't want it. Of course CNN will show us supporting the president because that's what a good military is suppose to do.

It's also why I think the Secretary of the Navy stepped down, he doesn't want to send the Navy/Marines into a war he doesn't believe in but Bush is too stubborn.

I've come to wish Clinton were back in office and this wouldn't be an issue. Whether it was smoking pot or getting head from an intern, imo Clinton was the everyman president. We weren't off starting wars with everyone we didn't like.

The George Bush Song

Sung to the tune: "If You're Happy And You Know It, Clap Your Hands"

If we cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq.
If the markets hurt your Mama, bomb Iraq.
If the terrorists are Saudi
And the bank takes back your Audi
And the TV shows are bawdy,
Bomb Iraq.

If the corporate scandals growin', bomb Iraq.
And your ties to them are showin', bomb Iraq.
If the smoking gun ain't smokin'
We don't care, and we're not jokin'.
That Saddam will soon be croakin',
Bomb Iraq.

Even if we have no allies, bomb Iraq.
From the sand dunes to the valleys, bomb Iraq.
So to hell with the inspections;
Let's look tough for the elections,
Close your mind and take directions,
Bomb Iraq.

While the globe is slowly warming, bomb Iraq.
Yay! the clouds of war are storming, bomb Iraq.
If the ozone hole is growing,
Some things we prefer not knowing.
Though our ignorance is showing),
Bomb Iraq.

So here's one for dear old daddy, bomb Iraq,
From his favorite little laddy, bomb Iraq.
Saying no would look like treason.
It's the Hussein hunting season.
Even if we have no reason,
Bomb Iraq

[ February 04, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long it'd be before that got posted here. I considered doing it just to annoy Rob, but it would really be like shooting fish. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I already responded to this back when someone else posted it on snopes:

When the evidence is mounting, plug your ears,
Yell "imperialist" and cry phony tears,
If he gets nukes and bombs Jews,
What the Hell, it isn't YOU!
Ain't it great, you'd rather wait
Than face your fears.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps