Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » That's it, Iraq . . . (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: That's it, Iraq . . .
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very moving. Too bad your evidence mounts to exactly zilch.

If he gets nukes

He didn't have them in '98, and he doesn't have them now.

and bombs Jews

Why would Saddam give Israel the perfect excuse to pull a Hiroshima on Baghdad and himself?

What the Hell, it isn't YOU!

Aww, gee, have we taken the moral high ground again? Are we once more trying to sell war as a purely altruistic act, no strings attached? You couldn't be more diaphanous if you tried.

Ain't it great, you'd rather wait

Yeah... I'd rather wait than light the fuse of a VERY dirty, VERY ugly conflict.

Than face your fears

See, some of us don't fear crazy dictators, just the imperialists that install them. Agendas are lovely things to advance, aren't they?

[ February 04, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bingo.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd respond, but really, it's the same old junk Cartman always spews, and besides, I'm too busy boiling vats of crow for Tomorrow.

http://msnbc.com/news/868277.asp?0bl=-0

quote:
When U.S.-led forces began their air attacks against Baghdad, one of Iraq�s intelligence agencies attempted unsuccessfully to carry out terrorist bombings against U.S. embassies and other facilities, including targets in Manila, Bangkok and Jakarta, according to U.S. intelligence assessments. According to these assessments, Hussein sent pairs of agents to many countries where they were to pick up explosives or weapons that had already been sent abroad.

quote:
Two terrorists in the Philippines blew themselves up trying to plant a bomb outside the U.S. cultural center in 1991. Another bomb was found before it could be detonated outside the breakfast room of the U.S. ambassador�s residence in Jakarta.
Richard Butler, the former U.N. weapons inspector, was Australia�s ambassador to Thailand at the time of the Persian Gulf War. �Saddam sent a terrorist hit group to Bangkok,� he told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last July. �The existence of that group was identified by intelligence authorities, and their plan was to make an attack upon the embassies of the United States, Australia and Israel in Bangkok.� He said the Australian embassy was targeted because Australia was part of the coalition that fought to force Iraq out of Kuwait.
Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan threatened last week to send �thousands of suicide attackers� against U.S. targets outside Iraq. �We have no long-range missiles or bomber squadrons, but we will deploy thousands of suicide attackers,� Ramadan told the German weekly, Der Spiegel. �These are our new weapons, and they will be used not only in Iraq.�

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Powell brings out the receipts, tomorrow?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd respond, but really, it's the same old junk Cartman always spews, and besides, I'm too busy boiling vats of crow for Tomorrow.

That's a bit unappreciative of you. It takes me a great deal of effort to drag myself down to your level so often.

BTW, how do you like that third person?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Rob may not have time, but I do. [Smile]

He didn't have [nukes] in '98, and he doesn't have them now.

Which you don't know. We DO know, however, that he's trying to get them, based on the materials he's tried to import that can only be used for that one purpose.

Why would Saddam give Israel the perfect excuse to pull a Hiroshima on Baghdad and himself?

Well, assuming that Israel has nukes, which I'll grant, this is Sadaam Housein we're talking about. He may be crazy/evil, but he's not dumb. If he was gonna nuke someone, he'd be hiding in a bunker somewhere instead of sitting in Baghdad waiting for retaliation. And I seriously doubt Israel has the weaponry to turn ALL of Iraq into a parking lot. Heck, this being Housein, I wouldn't put it past him to nuke Baghdad himself, once we had a significant number of troops there, just out of spite.

I'd rather wait than light the fuse of a VERY dirty, VERY ugly conflict.

Wait for... what? To give him more time to get the nukes that we know he's after? He's already broken his agreements, and he's trying to develop weapons that he has no legitimate use for. You think the conflict would be ugly NOW?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Out of curiosity, what the heck IS a "legitimate" use for nuclear weapons?
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Well, it's certainly grounds for war.

Well, if you had read my posts you'd know that it isn't "grounds for war."
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity, what the heck IS a "legitimate" use for nuclear weapons?

A use that results in a preferable outcome to that which would otherwise come about. Always. What qualifies as a preferable outcome, though, is a matter of some debate.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, interesting.
So in your opinion, what countries on Earth (aside from the US) would have legitimate uses for nuclear weapons, and what would they be?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why "aside from the US"?

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Member # 91

Depends on who can and will use them, whether as weapons or deterrents or doorstops, to bring about a better future than would have occured otherwise. Sadaam Housein does not intend to do this, nor could he if he intended to, because, well, who's he gonna deter or nuke that would lead to a preferable future?

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

"Aside from the US" due to the fact that I wanted to eliminate personal bias, but more importantly to nail down some specifics. Evidently I failed.
Lets try this again.

Omega, what *specific* countries do you think have legitimate uses for nuclear weapons and what would they be? Be as specific as possible.
In your words, is it preferable to use nuclear weapons as "weapons or deterrents or doorstops"?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A use that results in a preferable outcome to that which would otherwise come about."

And, of course, you decide what's "preferable", yes?

"I didn't join the Navy to fight in a war much less die in one."

Erm... So, what did you join for? Hoping to meet the Village People? I mean, the military fights wars. That's why it exists. When they told you would be boarding a ship, did you say "Hey, wait, no-one said anything about any boats..."?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Millennium:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Well, it's certainly grounds for war.

Well, if you had read my posts you'd know that it isn't "grounds for war."
Must be that Amerrican sarcasm Omega's always going on about...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps