Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Loss Of Respect for Nasa. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Loss Of Respect for Nasa.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have seen people here refer to old airplanes. I know older airplanes are in existence. There is a very good reason for this. Many of these older planes, such as the DC-3 Dakota, fly in environments which are more benign than anything the shuttle will encounter. The shuttle is under more stress than other piece of hardware on our planet. She is required to be blasted into space at tremendous velocities and land at tremendous velocities while contending with the forces of gravity and heat."

Yeah, and airplanes are under a lot more stress than cars. All three vehicles are built to withstand the forces being placed on them, so it isn't a very useful analogy for your purposes.

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newark my comment above regarding spinoffs was an attempt to get you to do alittle research before you go shooting off at the mouth...obviously that failed. Now who has their blinders on?

And NASA has procedures in place to account for the fact that the program uses a reusable launch system that must repeatedly be exposed to launch, orbit, and landing environments. No airliner is meticulously disassembled, inspected, and reassembled like the shuttles are.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not uneducated as to the spinoffs produced by the space program. These include advances in computers, velcro, and so on.

Age of Exploration: Primary purpose, the exploitation of people and lands for the purpose of expanding nations and building nation's treasuries. After doing this, use the land as staging platforms for engaging enemies in battle.

Age of Exploration: Secondary purpose, exploration

The Space Age: Primary and secondary purpose, exploration of space

America in the late 18th century was not a major player on the world stage. This honor was given to the Continental European nations, Britain, and Russia. US was a product of the Age of Exploration.

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a little early to be doing this debate, isn't it, fellas? I mean it was only four days ago that the Columbia disintegrated upon reentry, and yet already you have all forgotten the sympathy you felt for the families of Husband, McCool, Clark, Anderson, Brown, Ramon, and Chawla?

I think we've forgotten the true purpose of the space program, guys.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...the true purpose of the space program is to waste tax payer dollars? [Smile]

Joking aside, NASA has for decades attempted to define the true purpose of the space program. The space program is for many an idealistic pursuit of establishing peace and furthering man's ambitions for exploration and exploitation.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plain and simple, NASA cleaned house with the safety panel becaue the current members didn't like the safety cuts being made.

Guess what? Turns out NASA thinks the foam had nothing to do with the breakup.... So that leaves several disturbing choices: 1) Someone screwed up during an overhaul and missed somthing. 2) Pilot error 3) Sabotage.

Yeah. Ok. If they admit that the foam/ice damaged the wing and they ignored it, someone would loose thier job. (Shuttle Program Director!)

One more thing: Y'all vastly over-estimate the impact NASA has had on devloping products for daily life.

Keep up the river of flame, folks. MY heat-shield is still intact.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is your barrier of idiocy.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"river of flame.." how poetic..
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Styrofoaman:
"Plain and simple, NASA cleaned house with the safety panel becaue the current members didn't like the safety cuts being made."

When did plain and simple become synonomous with baseless and no facts to back it up?

"Guess what? Turns out NASA thinks the foam had nothing to do with the breakup.... So that leaves several disturbing choices: 1) Someone screwed up during an overhaul and missed somthing. 2) Pilot error 3) Sabotage."

NASA hasn't said one way or the other on the subject....its called an investigation for a reason, and it won't be over with in a week or two, the press are the ones talking up possible causes. 1) Could've happened 2) More likely a flight control computer error than pilot error, since the shuttle is under computer control during descent (pilot only has emergency capability to override and no indication from the downlink that he attempted to do so). 3) If you were going to sabotage a shuttle, where would u do it? During descent when cameras aren't "generally" pointed at it, or sitting on or just above the launch pad where ALL cameras are pointing and usually sending out live feeds?

"Yeah. Ok. If they admit that the foam/ice damaged the wing and they ignored it, someone would loose thier job. (Shuttle Program Director!)"

They didn't ignore it, a TECHNICAL decision was made that it was not a flight safety issue, despite this fact I would imagine the director would step down because of his own personal feelings of responsibilities, we forget that these folks are human beings too.

"One more thing: Y'all vastly over-estimate the impact NASA has had on devloping products for daily life."

Again I say do alittle research and find out the facts.

"Keep up the river of flame, folks. MY heat-shield is still intact."

Again, another example of poor taste on your part, considering recent events.

"

[ February 07, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Shipbuilder ]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Age of Exploration: Primary purpose, the exploitation of people and lands for the purpose of expanding nations and building nation's treasuries. After doing this, use the land as staging platforms for engaging enemies in battle.

Because the Apollo program wasn't primarily intended to beat the USSR to the moon and build up national prestige at all, was it.

quote:
America in the late 18th century was not a major player on the world stage. This honor was given to the Continental European nations, Britain, and Russia. US was a product of the Age of Exploration.
Not entirely sure how this is relevent; if it's a reference to the above fact about the Continental navy, then I should point out that the RN also underwent significant reductions in the number of ships available, frequently, although usually after wars (obviously). Oh, and by the way, wooden hulled Napoleonic ships of the line were still being used as training accomodation and classrooms as late as WWII, and were still floating and seaworthy, as was proved by the fact that most were towed out to sea and scuttled after the war ( [Mad] )

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoking Gun. Break Out The Whoopass and Let The Firings Begin.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theyre going to fire people because the wing broke? or we're going to fire you for being annoying?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good grief... Styrofoaman, do you have all the facts here? Are you a member of the investigating commission? Have you warped into the future and already know the outcome?

If it's none of the above, then please refrain from making assumptions presented as facts. [Roll Eyes]

I don't think the theory that the wing broke off was ever in doubt -- because breaking up was the nature of the accident! What caused the damage on the wing of sufficient severity to lead to a break-up is the main concern here.

It's certainly possible that this much-touted foam theory was the cause of the accident... but that's still all it is -- an ACCIDENT. At this stage, the presented accounts indicate that an operational decision was made during the shuttle flight... if that was a bad decision, that's one thing. That doesn't mean that we need to disband NASA and never consider launching into space again, or whatever it is you're calling for.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

hmm.. foam? foam!? you're the one who did it!

how the hell does any brand of logic leap from 'we have a picture of the wing flying off' straight to 'this is the fault of NASA directors and they should be fired' i for one think it was an accident, and short of being omniscient (and maybe omnipotent) no one on the ground or on the shuttle couldve foreseen or avoided this.

posting that article with that link only shows how misguided you are, demonstrates nothing else to me.

you know who we really have to blame for this? the ACLU, the homosexuals, feminists, anyone who tried to secularize .. oh never mind..

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or how about this latest headline from CNN: NASA not convinced photos reveal Columbia's problem.

Translation: Nobody has a fucking clue yet. So please shut up about firing everyone at NASA already! I'm very sorry if some incident at your workplace was traumatic -- but that doesn't automatically mean that everything must fit that exact same scenario.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps