Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Friday.

Author Topic: Friday.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a rather nifty field trip of sorts with my Media Studies class to Toronto today... We went to a taping of the Mike Bullard Show (I got a seat in the second row, allowing the back of my head to feature oh-so-prominently in this past show) and toured the CBC Broadcast Centre. At the latter we wound up completely randomly in a longish discussion with the CBC News' head honcho news director who we met outside a set.

Anyway, and it was a little surprising how confident this guy sounded, as far as they know, bombs will begin to fall on Friday regardless of what happens with the weapons inspectors or Blix. As a result the CBC is airing their most enormous special two-hour commercial-free news-event thing ever on Thursday night about the war (we saw them building the set... it's one big mother.) Live satellite feeds with six different world bigshots, a keynote debate between noted Canadian dove Lloyd Axworthy and noted American hawk Richard Pearl, Rex Murphy emails, and Peter Mansbridge striding about the middle of it. (ie, for the non-Canadians, this is a standard issue CBC pulling-out-all-the-stops thing.)

So, um, you heard it here first.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who ever doubted that the Canadian finger was firmly placed on the pulse of the international newsbeat? Not many, certainly. Well, many, I guess.

Rex Murphy? OH YES! I will not be watching Canadian TV this thursday.

Though how this differs from any other day, I cannot say. W5 all the way!

But, I mean, why do we know? Really.

Was this the Open Mike show with that Thomas Howell guy?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bullard had Don McKellar on. Strangely enough, its somewhat funny when you're actually there. Not so at home.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rex Murphy reminds me of an older, cantankerous Matt Frewer.

BOTH CANADIAN! Well, sort of. Not technically, but close.

WE OWN THE HOLLYWOOD ESTABLISHMENT!

Don McKellar looks a bit like Trent Reznor. I liked Twitch City.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most. Canadian. Thread. Ever.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All it needs is a mention of Kraft Dinner and. . . D'Oh!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spin City was never the same after Mike left.

But Carter is gay! Yes! And Stuart like the ladeez! Double yes!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
All it needs is a mention of Kraft Dinner and. . . D'Oh!

I'm actually cooking KRAFT DINNER right now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Breakfast of champions.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's my Lunch, or Brunch, or whatever you call it. [Wink]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.