Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Moon for sale... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moon for sale...
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to lighten the mood away from the threat of war I thought I would post this topic in light of a more positive future.

I saw this guy on Late Night with Conan O'Brien recently and thought this was pretty odd.

http://www.lunarembassy.com

Evidently you can buy acreage on the moon, Mars, Venus, Io for a mere $19.99US per acre (.4 ha) + $1.51 [outerspace] tax.

quote:
A declaration of ownership was filed with the United Nations as well as the US and Russian governments 23 years ago by Mr. Dennis M. Hope of the Lunar Embassy, to ensure that a legal basis for the ownership of the properties sold here can be claimed. On that wonderful day in 1980, the Lunar Embassy was born.

If this sounds like a joke to you, please read on, because this is no joke. The sale of lunar property has been ongoing for 23 years by the Lunar Embassy, which are THE ONLY COMPANY in the world to posess a legal basis and copyright for the sale of lunar, and other extraterrestrial property within the confines of our solar system. This is discussed in detail in our general FAQ on this website as well as our space law page (Warning...that one is heavy reading!).

Just to save you some time, due to some crazy UN loophole in the Outer Space Treaty of 1967, which 'explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet'. This guy realized that despite this, individuals could own property on the moon, and evidently he took it upon himself to claim the moon, and the rest of the solar system as his own.

So far the "Lunar Embassy" has revealed that approximately 250 very well known celebrities as well as two former US presidents are extraterrestrial property owners. This includes approximately 15 main actors from the original Star Trek series, as well as the Next Generation and Voyager series.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as to why you would want a piece of the moon, this answers all your questions.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy fuck....i'm speachless at the stupidity.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first heard about this... erm, endeavor a few years ago. It amazes me that such intelligence (figuring out the loophole, understanding international law) can be paired with such stupidity.

And, what the fuck is with that "space tax"? He's not a government -- at least, not one that's recognized by any REAL government on the planet -- so how can he charge a tax?

Of course, the answer is because the people buying the real estate are too stupid to know better. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His story is that through a loophole he claimed ownership. But all of this is under the assumption that there are no lifeforms on the other planets. If there are, he's out of luck. [Smile]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US was the first to land on the moon, they planted the flag... So does that make the moon property of the US?

Like in colonial times, they'd plant the flag and the land would be property of whatever country sent the explorer.

That'd be cool.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Like in colonial times, they'd plant the flag and the land would be property of whatever country sent the explorer.

That'd be cool.

Yee-haaaaw! It's everyone's favourite period of historical wrongdoing!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You could not do that without permission from the Pope or a king though.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I imagine in that case, Neal Armstrong might have said: "I claim this land in the name of America, Nixon, and all that is good"....

I think it mentioned on the website in the FAQ that NASA made no such claim on the moon at the time of the moonlanding, or for that matter now. Its not like it really matters now anyway, its just a huge chuck of rock with a few footprints, tire tracks and a small collection of human trash.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

Of course, the answer is because the people buying the real estate are too stupid to know better. [Roll Eyes]

Could be worse: http://www.starregistry.com/

For $48 you could have a star named after you. Imagine in 200 years, when we make some extraterrestrial encounter with Bob Johnsonians of the planet Bob Johnson IV in the Bob Johnson Starsystem..... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, my sister bought one of those stars for her friend's family, since their one son died in a car wreck last year and he was into astronomy and scifi.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to mention the buy-a-star scam. I mean, the certificate is nice, and that was certainly a very nice gesture. But the names don't get recorded anywhere that matters. The same goes for your plots of lunar real estate.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its not like it really matters now anyway, its just a huge chuck of rock with a few footprints, tire tracks and a small collection of human trash. [/QB]
Like Utah. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the moon isn't crawling w/ Mormons. Yet.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

They'll be the pilgrims of the stars.....

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps