Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bless you, Robin Cook

Author Topic: Bless you, Robin Cook
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A simply brilliant speech of resignation. (Watch it in RealVideo.) If only all politicians had similar gonads. Agree or disagree, you have to appreciate someone willing to take a pretty serious personal hit in the name of their beliefs.

[Oh, and this, while considerably less eloquent, is also reassuring. The whole world hasn't yet gone mad.]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'll be ignored quicker than you can say "what?"

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit, my opinion of Cook has gone up after this. Of course, it wasn't very high in the first place...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whereas Clare Short has chickened out.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think "chickening out" would work the other way 'round. All these ministers keep resigning, rather than staying on and fighting against the war. Pretty soon, they'll all have quit and there will be no-one left in power but the warmongers. And where will that leave you?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there isn't going to be a "Seizure" miniseries, then?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: According to the Westminister system, a cabinet minister can't break ranks from the government on a vote. In order to oppose Blair he has to do so as a non-cabinet ('back-bench') MP.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. The parliamentary system really is even dumber than the US' system...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called collective responsibility and you have prety much the same thing over there (I think- I wouldn't imagine the President would allow a Secretary of whatever to stay on if he opposed the Presidant's actions publicly). Also, given the fact there is a large anti war faction among the Labour backbenchers he may be able to build up sufficient support there to gain significant amount of influence.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't make out shit of what he's saying on that crappy streaming RealVideo, totally devoid of treble. I hate Realplayer.

Can someone post the gist of his speech?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"...I wouldn't imagine the President would allow a Secretary of whatever to stay on if he opposed the Presidant's actions publicly..."

Perhaps not. But it isn't illegal. I mean, what's the point of the man's even having a vote, if it's already predetermined, regardless of what he thinks?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's basically no different than the Republicans controlling Congress at the same time they hold the Presidency. It's (generally) expected that all Republican Senators and Representatives will support whatever legislation Bush puts forward.I suppose the closest analogy would be if the Senate Majority Leader (whoever he is right now) came out as anti-war. Whether Cook's actions are as close to political suicide as that would be right now, I couldn't say.

Funny thing: in Blair's broadcast last night, he urged everyone to put aside their differences, and support the troops now they're there. Yet only an hour later, on the political debate show Question Time, his twit of a Welsh Secretary, one Peter Hain by name (and no more Welsh than any other Welsh Secretary there's ever been), said that people who were anti-war but supporting the troops are hypocrites. Moron.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"It's basically no different than the Republicans controlling Congress at the same time they hold the Presidency. It's (generally) expected that all Republican Senators and Representatives will support whatever legislation Bush puts forward."

True. But that's an operational flaw, not a design flaw. Each party may almost always vote unanimously, but they aren't required to.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

it's not the entire party, just the cabinet. If I have time I'll scan in the relevant pages of my politics textbook.

quote:
Whether Cook's actions are as close to political suicide as that would be right now, I couldn't say.
well, obviously he's not gonna have endeared himself to the Blairistas but my MP (The hon. Douglas Hogg, QC, MP, Viscount Hailshem (sp?)) came into our politics lesson yesterday and apparently his reputation has been greatly enhanced among the backbenchers. As opposed to Claire Short's, which is in tatters.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Viscount? *snicker*

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps