Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Vatican vs. Homosexuality (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Vatican vs. Homosexuality
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20030731_934.html

The Vatican urges all Catholic politicians to fight gay marriages. Perhaps the Pope has forgotten that this is the 21st century, and not the Dark Ages.

The church has absolutely no place whatsoever in politics, ESPECIALLY not in politics of foreign countries. Imposing superstitious medieval laws upon people is utterly ridiculous. Why on earth would you want to deny gay couples marriage? If they want to get married and adopt children, they should be able to. Could someone explain to me what the problem is with that?

In my country, gay marriages are legalised. But still, the current conservative government seems to have no problems at all with the Vatican's words. The opposition, however, argues that the Vatican is meddling in our politics and that it is attacking our country in doing so. Not likely that Dutch tanks will roll into the Vatican any time soon, though...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Perhaps the Pope has forgotten that this is the 21st century, and not the Dark Ages."

To be frank, I doubt the old fart even remembers his own name anymore.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny, I actually think the Vatican would issue something like this after the Supreme Court in the US sided with the two gay men who had their privacy invaded in Texas. As much as people will try their hardest to curb gay marriage and rights, it is going to be eventually accepted. It may take another 50 years, but people are patient... I know I am.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Perhaps the Pope has forgotten that this is the 21st century, and not the Dark Ages.

Perhaps the Pope is under the impression that God's law is timeless, and not subject to political correctness.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Correctness" of any kind, even.

OH YEAH. ZINGO, ZANGO.

Flameboard 2001 style.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, its pretty irrelevant in Canada at least.
Given that:
quote:
Chr�tien and Liberal MP Paul Martin, who is considered the front-runner to succeed him, are both Catholics but have indicated they won't heed the Vatican's call.

A spokesperson says the prime minister respects the church's opinion, but he believes in separation of church and state.

Speaking in Toronto Wednesday, Martin said he must take a wider perspective as a legislator.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/31/vatican030731

IIRC, both the Bloc and Joe Clark speaking for the Progressive Conservatives are in favour of it, the NDP obviously would be, leaving a very isolated Canadian Alliance.

Well, at least there's the good old US to raise havoc [Wink]

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten quatloos that god is both gay and black.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a single mother?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
Member # 256

Icing on the cake. B)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is talk about some religious right compromising on whether or not the union of two homosexuals should be "legally joined". Their only beef is that it would be called "marriage". They would rather have marriage reserved for men and women, and "civil union" for homosexuals. They also argue that homosexual couples could have the same rights and freedoms as heterosexual couples. They just don't want to call it marriage.

Same spousal rights, different name, what do you think?

[ July 31, 2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The church has absolutely no place whatsoever in politics, ESPECIALLY not in politics of foreign countries.
Well, that might be the case today, but for the majority of its history the situation was exactly the opposite. So, I mean, yeah, it's outdated for sure. But I'm not so sure I buy the idea that this is somehow improper by the standards of the Vatican. You don't chart a course of international political dominance for over a millennia and then just change overnight.

Also, nitpick: Which nation _isn't_ foreign from the perspective of the Vatican?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Perhaps the Pope has forgotten that this is the 21st century, and not the Dark Ages.

Perhaps the Pope is under the impression that God's law is timeless, and not subject to political correctness.
So he's okay with stoning, slavery of captured POW's and their children, he's kosher, he believes in "an eye for an eye" and that money exchanges are wrong.
That'll all fit really well with today's world.

Oh, yeah: the world is flat, evolution is wrong and earth is the center of the universe with the sun and planets revolving aound it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And a single mother?

From what I have seen his children are a bunch of bastards.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he has only got the one. That we know of. And speaking of that, would he refer to Mary as his "baby' momma"?

"Why on earth would you want to deny gay couples marriage? If they want to get married and adopt children, they should be able to. Could someone explain to me what the problem is with that?"

Well, from JP's point of view, Leviticus 20:13. And, um, something in one of the Paul letters. One of the ones to Corinth, maybe. I don't remember.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addendum: It's the end of chapter one of the letter to the Romans.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps