Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Morality in foreign policy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Morality in foreign policy
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem: Liberia doesn't have the monopoly on gruesomeness in the world.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One idiotic regine to be changed at a time.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So when's the next US presidential election then?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZING!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the political comedy beast. Phe@R M3!!!! And so forth.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
So when's the next US presidential election then?

I'd make a snappy retort if you were'nt so embarassingly right.

But as far as morality in intervention in other countries is concerned the first thing we consider needs to be "Is this right".
I don't mean "will my right wing supporters approve" I mean "Can we help people here and make a effective diffrence".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Taylor seems to have bogged off and an international peacekeeping force moved in. But if things don't get better or the peacekeepers behave like they did last time (not much better than the native troops) then what?

In this case i think it is America's duty in become involved; Liberia was set up by the US and was briefly a US possession. Just as Sierra Leone was our problem Liberia is the US's. And yes, I think we should be doing something about Zimbabwe as well.

quote:
Ironic, considering the nation in question.

Even more ironic is the freed slaves setting up a system whereby they retain the political power and most of the economic power.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Libera looks like a good place for a Guam-sized military base right about now.
Horrible to say I know, but we'll just have to keep going back if we can't establish something like a government that works for more than a couple of years at a stretch.
The UN could (and should)be a big part of the initial re-structuring but they certainly have a bad track record of sticking around (so do we for that matter) to prevent a relapse into anarchy.

I could SO see islamic fundamentalism (read: Terrorism) taking root in Libera within the next decade as the populace becomes frustrated with our half-assed assistance.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9451854-former-pow-jessica-lynch-finishing-teaching-degree

fuck it. i could NOT find that moses necrothread pic. can someone help?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHAZAM!

-

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
"It's tough to walk, but I look at it as, 'At least I'm walking,'" she says. "At least I have my legs. They may not work. I have no feeling in the left one. But it's attached, at least.."

Fuck- I totally get that.
Eight and a half years of having an open wound and dealing with pain in my left leg has made this wedding guest a humble and wiser man.

She's got the right attitude.

As to the thread's subject...it (amazingly) did not turn out too bad as civil wars go- Taylor is in the Hague and on trial and not too many people were butchered (1000 seems like a low number to me though).

And Liberia still makes those commerative coins, so I guess it's a win(?)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Mim. I love you.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah Hugo, never change, man.
Personally, I think giving various world leaders cancer is a pretty Cobra-esque gameplan, but whatever works, I guess.

Really though, Christina seems okay- or at least not threatening- no reason to make her (or her husband) die.

Hugo's death will be met with the standad military coup/crackdown/dictatorship so while he's a slanderous clown, keeping him alive for entertainment value is best.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps