Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » CA governor recall election: Skynet take me away (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: CA governor recall election: Skynet take me away
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really happening. He is an inhuman poilitcal machine who absolutely will not stop until he is our governor. I want to know if there is anything that any of the other candidate could possibly do to prevent this or if anyone thinks that anyone other than Arnie stands even a remote chance.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hasta La Vista, Gray Davis!"

He will win. He will win and there is nothing you can do. He will win and there is nothing you can do, though you will be prepared for alien hunters.

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I will vote for him! [Razz]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Arnold architected the ballot measure and led the successful campaign to get [Proposition 49] passed by the voters last year."

"Architected"?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen! And understand! That bodybuilder is out there! It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... and it absolutely will not stop, ever, until it is president!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which he can't legally be.

Anyway, isn't Arnie a Republican who believes in gay adoptions and better social services? And isn't that cracker ass cracker crazy?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is difficult, if one is within the mainstream of the Republican party, to seperate out the various threads of conservativism from ones individual platform. It verges on political suicide to attempt it, since what we might consider more "fringe" elements make up a significant (and in many cases necessary for election) voting bloc.

However, Schwar...uh, the candidate in question is about as far from mainstream as one can get, and is more free than many to pick and choose his own political way.

Having said that, I don't know what he thinks about issues beyond the so-vague-as-to-be-useless soundbites one gets on, say, Leno. Not being from California I am exercising my right to remain completely in the dark about the entire affair.

AND...last I heard, Arnold was in fact in third place in the polls, and I do not think his victory is a sure thing.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to show that I have my priorities in order, I have to ask...if he is elected, would he still be able to make T4?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine that he would have the time. (And considering that anyone elected would be elected, at least in theory, on the basis that they would be fantastically busy fixing the state, it would not seem wise to take the time even if one was not in fact particularlly busy.)

As far as the legality of holding down an outside job goes, consider the following from Article 5 of the California State Constitution:
quote:

SEC. 14. (a) To eliminate any appearance of a conflict with the proper discharge of his or her duties and responsibilities, no state officer may knowingly receive any salary, wages, commissions, or other similar earned income from a lobbyist or lobbying firm, as defined by the Political Reform Act of 1974, or from a person who, during the previous 12 months, has been under a contract with the state agency under the jurisdiction of the state officer. The Legislature shall enact laws that define earned income. However, earned income does not include any community property interest in the income of a spouse. Any state officer who knowingly receives any salary, wages, commissions, or other similar earned income from a
lobbyist employer, as defined by the Political Reform Act of 1974, may not, for a period of one year following its receipt, vote upon or make, participate in making, or in any way attempt to use his or her official position to influence an action or decision before the agency for which the state officer serves, other than an action or
decision involving a bill described in subdivision (c) of Section 12 of Article IV, which he or she knows, or has reason to know, would have a direct and significant financial impact on the lobbyist employer and would not impact the public generally or a significant
segment of the public in a similar manner. As used in this subdivision, "public generally" includes an industry, trade, or profession.

(b) No state officer may accept any honorarium. The Legislature shall enact laws that implement this subdivision.

(c) The Legislature shall enact laws that ban or strictly limit the acceptance of a gift by a state officer from any source if the acceptance of the gift might create a conflict of interest.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But he would be saving the world. This is important, no?

--------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he'd save the world better by not making another Terminator movie.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sure will fracture the unity of the Kennedy Clan..... Fireworks aflutter.....

I hear Maria may consider divorcing him if he wins.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Gary Coleman is also running for election! LOL!

How big is your ballot paper going to be?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I heard Gary Coleman is also running for election! LOL!

That'd be the hotly contested Arnold versus Ahnuld race. Ikes!

No, but seriously. Who in the meager eight weeks of campaigning could possibly muster the pure name-brand recognition that Schwartzenegger already has. Cruz Bustamante? Ariana Huffington? Bill Simon? Fuck, at this rate Gary Coleman is looking good.

People don't even know from Gray Davis, and while Gray hasn't exactly been Mr. Greatest-Governor-We-Ever-Had, blaming him for the California Energy Crisis (read: Texas Money Crisis) wouldn't exactly be fair. At once point the Democrats were going to line up behind Davis (even the spirited Dianne Feinstein), and show that this recall to be the farce we all know it is, but it's looking like every camp has become divided. Hell, even facing a single opponent Arnie is a campaign bohemoth. Darrel Issa, who pretty much bankrolled (nearly $2mil) the recall effort graciously stepped down after Arnie announced. I get the impression that his pillowcases are moist about this. What did the fucking half-wit think, that some obscure San Diego Congressman was going to buoy into office when all you need to be a candidate is $3500 and 65 signatures? I could seriously run at this point.

So now we'll have a $60 million recall to get the Gray out because he's been wasting the taxpayers' money. Maybe if he tumbled into Kha-za-dum he could return as Davis the White and work some serious magic because that's what it's going to fucking take at this point.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't he just become "White Davis"?

And if Gary Coleman's campaign involves, at any time, the phrase "What you talkin' 'bout, Davis?", I say we send the whole place careening into the Pacific.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps