Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Guerrilla War In Iraq? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Guerrilla War In Iraq?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read a couple of items today seem to fit the current situation in Iraq.

The first paragraph of the first article seems particularly fitting...

quote:
In the first phase of the war, cluster bombs were the weapon of choice, and so the United States won. Now we have moved into the phase where the dominant weapon is the truck bomb and that levels the playing field. A classic guerrilla war is taking shape in Iraq and such wars are a contest not of technology, but will.

In this sort of struggle, guerrillas have several inbuilt advantages. They are at home, among friends and relatives, with all the local knowledge (starting with language) that the foreign troops lack. They can wrap themselves in the local flag (or increasingly, in the case of the non-Baathist resistance in Iraq, in the green banner of Islam), options that are simply unavailable to the occupying forces.

And there is something more: The occupiers have to build; the resistance only has to destroy.

There is a key concept of revolutionary guerrilla warfare that has, oddly, no standard translation in English: la politique du pire. Literally, it is the strategy of (making things) worse.

The idea is that the guerrillas, who lack the military strength to beat their opponents in open battle, should concentrate instead on destroying the structures and services on which the population depends.

If their attacks and sabotage make the lives of ordinary people awful, the people will not blame the guerrillas. They will blame the authorities whose duty it is to provide those structures and services � the occupation authorities, in this case.

----

The U.S. is already having immense difficulty in persuading other countries to send troops to Iraq to share the burden of the occupation, because, in addition to their original misgivings about the wisdom and legality of the invasion, they now have to worry about a significant toll of casualties.

All the more is this true of international organizations.

For all the rhetoric that ricochets around Washington about building democracy in Iraq like the U.S. and its allies built German and Japanese democracy after World War II, this is an administration that does everything on the cheap, and there is no Marshall Plan in the offing.

On the contrary, the Bush administration was hoping to pay much of the cost of the occupation out of Iraqi oil exports (which is why pipelines are being attacked), and to unload a lot more onto the U.N. and the alphabet soup of humanitarian aid organizations that generally follow in its wake.

It was never likely that the U.N. would let itself be used in that way: The mistrust of U.S. motives and tactics goes too deep in a lot of the members.

Gwynne Dyer, The Toronto Star

----

...While the last two paragraphs of the next article are quite interesting.

quote:
Yesterday's bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad was the latest evidence that America has taken a country that was not a terrorist threat and turned it into one.

Of course, we should be glad that the Iraq war was swifter than even its proponents had expected, and that a vicious tyrant was removed from power. But the aftermath has been another story. America has created � not through malevolence but through negligence � precisely the situation the Bush administration has described as a breeding ground for terrorists: a state unable to control its borders or provide for its citizens' rudimentary needs.

For example, the American commander in Iraq, Gen. John Abizaid, has described the almost daily attacks on his troops as guerrilla campaigns carried out by Baathist remnants with little public support. Yet an increasing number of Iraqis disagree: they believe that the attacks are being carried out by organized forces � motivated by nationalism, Islam and revenge � that feed off public unhappiness.

According to a survey this month by the Iraq Center for Research and Strategic Studies, nearly half of the Iraqis polled attribute the violence to provocation by American forces or resistance to the occupation (even more worrisome, the Arabic word for "resistance" used in the poll implies a certain amount of sympathy for the perpetrators). In the towns of Ramadi and Falluja, where many of the recent attacks have taken place, nearly 90 percent of respondents attributed the attacks to these causes.

----

As bad as the situation inside Iraq may be, the effect that the war has had on terrorist recruitment around the globe may be even more worrisome. Even before the coalition troops invaded, a senior United States counterterrorism official told reporters that "an American invasion of Iraq is already being used as a recruitment tool by Al Qaeda and other groups." Intelligence officials in the United States, Europe and Africa say that the recruits they are seeing now are younger than in the past. Television images of American soldiers and tanks in Baghdad are deeply humiliating to Muslims, even those who didn't like Saddam Hussein, explained Saad al-Faqih, head of Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia, a Saudi dissident group in London. He told me that some 3,000 young Saudis have entered Iraq in recent months, and called the war "a gift to Osama bin Laden."

Hassan Nasrallah, head of the Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah, told a crowd of 150,000 in a March religious observance that the United States was trying to create a "tragedy for humanity and to spread chaos in the world" and predicted that the people of Iraq and the region would "welcome American troops with rifles, blood, arms, martyrdom."

The occupation has given disparate groups from various countries a common battlefield on which to fight a common enemy. Hamid Mir, a biographer of Osama bin Laden, has been traveling in Iraq and told me that Hezbollah has greatly stepped up its activities not only in Shiite regions but also in Baghdad.

Most ominously, Al Qaeda's influence may be growing. It has been linked to attacks as far apart as Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and Morocco. One suspect in yesterday's attack is Ansar al-Islam, a Qaeda offshoot whose camps in Northern Iraq were destroyed early in the war. In recent weeks American officials acknowledged that members of the group had slipped into Iraq from Iran, had begun organizing in Baghdad and were suspected of plotting bombings, including the Aug. 7 attack on the Jordanian Embassy. In addition, Mr. Mir reported that Al Qaeda was carving out new training grounds in the border region between Iraq and Syria.

Jessica Stern, The New York Times

How could Mr. Bush and those smart people he was to have surrounded himself with not understand the very great chance of a guerrilla war in post-invasion Iraq?

Afterall, I seem to recall that in the conflict in Afghanistan we used to Northern Alliance soldiers because if we put American troops on the ground, it would offer a perfect opportunity to the Islamic groups opposing the United States a chance to fight and kill American soldiers because at last the Americans were there, face to face, and not in a plane or shooting Cruise missiles from far away. Now there are literally thousands of American targets for any Islamist insurgent who can make their way to Iraq to shoot at. Now there are other stationary targets that these same insurgents can bomb because American troops can not protect them all.

Is the hurbis of the Bush Administration that great that they could not have seen the potentially of what was to come, of what is happening now?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this where all of us opposed to the war are supposed to apologise for ever doubting the Bushies? The WMD are piling up, everything is great on the ground, the Iraqi people are happy, terrorism has ended in our lifetimes, everything as the war mongers predicted.
Think I'll stay in Canada for awile, I have a feeling that countries opposed to the war have a lesser chance of being a target. Seems Bushco wanted a "War on Terrah" and they have successfully won the first battles, but I have a feeling that a lot of Americans are going to die before this war is over. The Iraqi war just turned into a big recrutment poster, with the saying " We have not yet begun to fight" at the bottom of it.

Hope you all are feeling much safer now.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is this where all of us opposed to the war are supposed to apologise for ever doubting the Bushies?
I'm not sure I follow you there.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just being sarcastic, there were people saying before the war that it would be over quickly, Iraqis would be welcoming the "coalition" as liberators, there would be piles of WMD and it would put us on the road to no more terrorism, and some also said that by now all of the anti-war folk would have to apolopgise for ever doubting Bushco. Well it seems that more of what the anti-war people said is coming true, no wmd, a guerrilla war that has been going on since the coalition attacked, dispite war Rummy has been saying. It also seems like this war has not stopped terrorism, but has in fact brought the factions together, as Hussain never could.
It's going to be bleak.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many Americans will die. Before the end of the year the number of American troops killed by hostile fire will probably top 200. And many more will be dead due to accidents and sickness.

There will be more bombings like the one that happened at the UN HQ. More people, mostly Iraqis will die. And the Arab countries will not swing toward democracy like it was predicted.

And it's been 5 months since we invaded...there is no evidence Iraq had WMD.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very notion that anyone can consider 200 dead soldiers "a lot" shows how incredibly weird and unique modern warfare is.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Times like this, I wish we had Space Marines...

"Die, American infidel!!!" *ratta-tatta-tatta*
*AK-47 bullets plink off hardened three-inch-thick ceramite armour plates*
"In the Emperor's name, you will be purged."
*assault cannon spins up and disgruntled Iraqi is redmisted*

*sigh*

Sorry to be so militant, but willful ignorance always makes me grumpy. Not most of you here on the board, but Bush and Co. and the Iraqi guerrilas.

To the Administration (which I still refer to as the Bush junta), I say there is a time and place for trickle-down economics, and a time and to throw gobs of money at a situation, and this is one of the latter. You need to rearm and re-establish the Iraqui military and get them back in the field. You need to set up a New Deal-like Public Works Administration to employ out-of-work Iraquis to help rebuild and improve on their infrastructure with roads, schools, power plants, and the like. You need to make it so that terrorists shooting RPGs are shooting them at their own soldiers, and blowing up their own power plants. Idiots.

And to the guerrilas, the best way to make sure we don't go away any time soon is to keep shooting at us. The Warmongers in power over here aren't going to pull out like they did last time. If it becomes apparant that a limited war won't carry the day, they're likely to start getting nasty, and to hell with the UN...

Here's hoping Bush and his puppeteers don't get us all killed before his term is up.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The underlying issue with this administration is their denial of facts which conflict with their perception, their reality, of a situation.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Yes SImon I have thought about that and times have indeed changed. During the American Civil War there could be thousands of combat deaths in a single day, and while horrible, it did not deture Lincoln from pursuing his course.

On the other hand, in the west especially, and in America, the human life has high value placed on it. I was watching Black Hawk Down the other day and at the end they rolled some numbers that said 19 Americans had been killed and that 1000 Solami's had died. Clearly these are hugely different numbers, but the deaths caused a change in American policy and helped to bring on the right-wing backlash against "nation-building."

In fact, Mr. Bush said this on the subject:

quote:
Let me tell you what else I'm worried about: I'm worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our view of the military is for our military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and, therefore, prevent war from happening in the first place.

From a Washington Post story.

Funny thing is, that is exactly what we are doing now.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Solami? *giggle*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Somali?

I keep doing things like that, mixing up two different letters, etc.

[Smile]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, the claim that the United States can somehow avoid "nation building" is so nonsensical that surely everybody knew it was just campaign trail hot air. NATO didn't intervene in Bosnia or Kosovo because the West is ruled by bighearted liberals. It did it because the former Yugoslavia was ruled by bankrobbing drug dealers eager to pour smack into and remove money from the streets of Berlin and Rome and Paris and Stockholm, and whose tactics for seizing power involved equipping very angry fanatics with very powerful weapons. I mean, the value here should be obvious. Serbia: NATO rained down smartbombs for two months and then put U.S. troops in Kosovo. Result: it is very hard to get truckbombs out of the area and into sensative western financial and political centers. Afghanistan: no one did anything. Result: a smoking crater in downtown Manhattan.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I don�t think you can so easily dismiss the rhetoric or the ideology behind such statements as simple electioneering.

Afterall, what exatly have we done in and for Afghanistan since we had the Northern Alliance do our dirty work? Is it just that the only natural resources there are rocks and opium?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Jay, you forgot the pipeline running through Afghanistan of which Enron was a principal shareholder...

--Jonah

--------------------

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those who hide in Canada this time, better stay there. There was a good excuse the last time. There are no excuses this time. War was inevitable. There was no peace to begin with. In one assault on the Jappanese home islands we lost 5,000 men in the first hour. Did we quit?
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps