Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Separation of Church and State, part whatever (Page 5)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Separation of Church and State, part whatever
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured it's a parody news. I did some Zen meditation [Big Grin] It helps.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I understand it a bit better now. My supplementary questions - which might already have been answered, I may just not have seen them anywhere in this rapidly-elongating thread - are: Who first commissioned/approved the statue for design, construction, and installment? And what were their motives based on, religious statement or abstract law? And what do we know about the actual opinions of the Chief Justice? Did he approve it because of his own religious beliefs, or does he just view it as a bit of abstract legal iconography, or just freedom of expression? And what about the associate justices, are any of them anti-religion or just very pro-church/state separation?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From perusing the articles about the case in the current issues of Time and Newsweek, it seems that Justice Moore, with some helpers, installed the sculpture in the Alabama Judicial Building's rotunda after business hours sometime in 2001.

After becoming a circuit court judge in 1992, he held prayers in his courtroom and hung a hand-carved plaque with the Commandments on its wall. According to one district attorney who used to practice in his court, Moore made scrapbooks with laminated newspaper clippings dealing with his Ten Commandments battles. During his campaign for the chief justice's seat, he touted himself as the "Ten Commandments judge." Time quotes him as saying, "I will never, never deny the God upon whom our laws and country depend." Given all this, I don't think his actions are merely part of some technical exercise in legal theory.

Neither article has anything to say about the associate justices' personal religious views or their take on the separation of church and state.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also very suspect that he had the statue installed at election time for the Chief Justice's seat (witch he won in, suprise, a very religous state).
He's not dumb and erecting the statue then is not coincidence: nor is it suprising he's called about half the press conferences on the subject both to gain support for his POV and to be on TV as much as humanly possible.
I see a govoner's or possbly senator's election with his name on it in the future...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its unfortunate that people will use religion to gain popularity in Politics.

--------------------

-Einstein

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is.
Moreso that most don't know the reasoning behind the statue's placment so they'll laud this judge as a champion of their beliefs.
They'll vote for him.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

djewell
Member # 1111

My beliefs too. I'm not Alabamian, but I saw some footage of the protestors. There was a guy dressed up as JESUS! WTF? That's just extreme.

--------------------

-Einstein

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blink*

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless he was Jesus, I suppose.

Anyway, isn't that, like, blasphemous? Dude?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

djewell
Member # 1111

I think so. There are other more "liberal" Christians who don't share my view.

--------------------

-Einstein

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the guy did is dress like an Armenian, yes, I probably didn't spell it right, which, Christ was, so that shouldn't be a problem....

I checked Jesus in to the hotel I work at tonight, and you know, he was so soft spoken he seemed to be either very mellow, or.... Well, I don't want to get in to stereotyping......

If my wife and I ever have another kid I may name him Jesus, since the spanish speaking people do....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

djewell
Member # 1111

The spelling of the name of Jesus is the engligh adaptation of a Greek derivation of the name Yeshua, or Joshua. I get tired of the whole Jesus(hay-zus)/jesus thing.

--------------------

-Einstein

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew Mohammed was Estonian, but I had no idea Jesus was Armenian.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

djewell
Member # 1111

He spoke Aramaic. That's all I can come up with.

--------------------

-Einstein

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all practical purposes, Jesus in today's terms was a Palestinian... These people were probably just as multi-ethnic back then as they are today. At least his father wasn't a local, apparently. And while it's likely he spoke Arameic, there are several other possibilities in that area as well. Depends a lot on his real family background and upbringing - the Gospels are highly suspect in this respect.

But basically, anybody dressing up like a guy from an altar painting should be automatically free of charges of blasphemy or impersonation. Whatever Jesus looked like, long- and straight-haired, tastefully bearded 180 cm Scandinavian type in a white robe *wasn't* it. (Somebody is clearly confusing him with Gandalf the Grey in his youth, before he lost the discount coupon to the cleaner. Although I'd rather have copyright trouble with the church than with Peter Jackson...)

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps