Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Oops, They Did It Again

Author Topic: Oops, They Did It Again
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The enviorimental presidency continues:

quote:
EPA Eases Clean Air Rule on Power Plants

The Bush administration yesterday approved a major rollback of clean air enforcement rules for the nation's oldest and dirtiest power plants in a move hailed by industry leaders but bitterly criticized by environmentalists and some lawmakers.

For the first time, thousands of aging coal-fired power plants, oil refineries and factories will be able to upgrade their facilities -- and extend their operational lives -- without having to install costly anti-pollution equipment previously required under the Clean Air Act.

Eric Pianin, The Washington Post

Good thing Mr. Bush went to his various national park photo ops now while he could still see them.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Total fucker.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read that in the USA Tody....

But all those, what, 17,000 plants will run better....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...(cough)...they...(wheeze)...will.

Care to bet the owners of those dirty plants don't live in the towns they operate in?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But all those, what, 17,000 plants will run better...."

Short-term thinking.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes, the USA Today article did also say safer...

How narrow of my thinking....

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shutting them down and building new plants would also be safer AND cleaner AND more cost-effective fifty years down the road. At best, the upgrades have bought those heavily polluting facilities another twenty (?) years of operation, after which they'll have to be replaced ANYWAY. Narrow? Nah...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it when he's right. [Wink]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the one hand this is very good news as I can now dump pentane fumes directly into the enviroment rather than paying $750,000 a year on filters that get... dumped into the enviroment! [Big Grin]

Sad sad sad thing is... they don't see "In 50 Years" anymore, it's all about short-term growth and inflating the stock-price to meet stockholder goals. Short term being "A bonus today is worth more than the entire company tomorrow."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Let's see...posion a landfill with chemical filters or the air we breathe for miles and miles?
Tough decision for those poor chemical plant owners but whatever saves them money, right?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

and out of those saving donations to politicians are made...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps