Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Are Unions always right? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are Unions always right?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The ones who do believe that Teachers are overpaid want the best bang for their buck, in other words, only the best. That's why they are in favour of testing Teachers in order to recertify them."

Who in their right mind has ever suggested that teachers are overpaid?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Oh, I *know* that many teachers are underpaid, and have legitimate grievances. I went to Catholic schools most of my life. My high school was incredibly expensive, but I know of five or six teachers (all of them extremely popular) who had to get jobs in public schools because the current pay sucked. All within a four-year period while I was there.

I just think that there are certain jobs where strikes should be completely out of the question, for the sake of children's education.

Private School? Figures.

PsyLiam: It doesn't give them the right to demand salaries that others can only dream of. Like I said before, I must have wasted my time in University and College because I could have become a Garbageman.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can guarantee that there is no "salary X or your money back" clause in any college admission form I've ever seen, or that's likely to exist. If you really feel like that, then you have wasted your time.
Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me, Sol, I'm not the only one.

Accountants, Senior Medical Staff, Transit Workers, Auto Workers, Teachers, they are all thinking the same way. Everyone was not happy about the contract the Garbagemen got as they are being paid higher than the above groups mentioned are. I guess that means that we all wasted our time in University and College.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why DON'T you become a garbageman, hmm? If you're THIS unhappy about your situation, THAT indignant because they make more money than you do (at least initially), and all you want to see are cold hard dollars... I'm sure the Toronto Garbagemen Guild would welcome another dedicated, hard-working member.

Also, if you think higher education automatically entitles you to special privileges and a salary Bigger Than Everyone Elses, then you REALLY went to university for the wrong reasons.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure he would want to touch the icky refuse, though.

Get your primadonna hands dirty.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unions have thier place. Right now, American workers need to join as rapidly as possible. With the massive bleed-out of jobs (all the ones going to Cheap Asia) this is the only way to stop the blood asians from bleeding this country dry. As it stands now, several american industries are on the verge of failure. Electronics, plastics, tool-and-die, and ship-building.

Only by getting the unions to lobby congress can we stop this, and the only way they are going to be powerful enough is if more people join.

...and yes, if my workers wanted to form/join a union I'd let them.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
** The avalanche has already started.
It is too late for the pebbles to vote. **

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to university so that I could split the bill of getting digital TV between several people. That, and the crazy funky party nights where I turn red.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"The ones who do believe that Teachers are overpaid want the best bang for their buck, in other words, only the best. That's why they are in favour of testing Teachers in order to recertify them."

Who in their right mind has ever suggested that teachers are overpaid?

The conservative party here in Toronto.

Whether or not they are overpaid I will leave that for others to discuss. What I do agree with is for recertification of Teachers every few years. The unions reject this only because they feel that this is an intrusion of their workspace, blah blah blah. It appears to be more to protect the overpaid teachers who can't teach at all.

Cartman: That's not what I'm talking about. My beef is against the Unions, period. The unions, who have too much control, think they are everything, and the city can't live without them. I'm simply using the Garbagemen as a reference as to many people including myself, they are a sign that Unions should be put in their place with a well placed smack upside the head.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Programmers unite!

The thing is, when garbagemen go on strike, they have a VERY constrictive bargaining chip to back their demands with. You can insist on better pay all you want, but if you don't have a similar job-related means of persuasion (like an ubervirus to bring society to its knees, or something), your terms aren't going to be agreed to. It's not the unions you should be blaming here.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Tell that to all the medical staff, accountants, teachers, auto workers, etc. who feel that the Garbagemen's contract is unfair to the taxpayers of this city.

The city does not have the guts to do what it should to do, like, privatize them. Almost all other cities in Ontario now contract out their garbage collection (and pay half the cost). The Garbagemen are basically a part of a city-wide union known as "outside workers". So when the City made plans to privatize Garbage Collection, the entire union got mad and went on strike. We're not talking about just garbage, it was most of the city workers that went on strike. So when the city caved in, it also caved in to their demands for Garbagemen to have "wage parity" with the rest of the Union. Thus the 50% wage increase. Oh, and applying to be a garbageman? Forget it. When word of the contract got out, the applications for being a garbageman went through the roof.

When a single militant union can hold a city hostage and have them cave in to their demands, we have a problem. Also curious is why the typically anti-union Provincial Conservative Government did not step in with back-to-work legislation and send the dispute to binding arbitration. If it did, then this wouldn't have happened.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem a little bitter.
I'm not entirely sure about what though...

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Maybe it's the whole mess that this city is in.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps