Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Never thought I see the day......

Author Topic: Never thought I see the day......
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... to have Kazaa complain of Copyright Infringement.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so mind-bogglingly stupid on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

Ah, hell.

1) it's a form of censorship
2) it's free publicity
3) it's biting the hand that feeds you
4) it's a dangerous precedent
5) it's closing the floodgates after the dam itself has collapsed
6) it's bad business sense, not to mention hypocritical, of Sharman Networks to harp on the same legalities that RIAA almost shut them down for
7) Google doesn't infringe on copyright by indexing links to illegal software (Kazaa Lite in this case) anymore than Kazaa does by displaying search results of same, and can NOT be held accountable for the actions of its users
8) Kazaa Lite can be downloaded from... Kazaa

Like, DUH.

Of course, the reason WHY Kazaa Lite gained so much popularity in the first place was because SN got a little too greedy and jam-packed Kazaa with ad- and spyware... but that's another discussion.

[ September 01, 2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bwahahahaha! The same people who flout and hate the DMCA are now invoking it. What hypocrites.

This proves more than anything that we need to make a serious overhaul of copyright law to account for the vastly different realities and potentially huge advantages of the Internet.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Google doesn't infringe on copyright by indexing links to illegal software..."

Actually, during the whole DeCSS thing, some judge did declare that 2600 magazine was infringing just because they linked to sites which provided the DeCSS code. I'm not sure what the eventual outcome of that was, but it's possible that Google really could be held legally (if moronically) responsible for providing links to "illegal software".

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are talking about modification of Kazaa's software w/o permission. Not a movie or music.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the hell does this make sense?

And why the hell did they just comply? I'd have thought better of Google.

Anyway, it is incredibly stupid and may be a sign that in the future, the internet will be totally regulated, filtered and censored. Because big companies and governments are scared of us.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may try to regulate it, but I doubt they will succeed. The medium itself is too wide open.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like me discussing my, now, ex-wife just after we split up......
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google has shown a willingness to avoid lawsuits by (at least temporary) compliance with demands in the past.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps