Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » On the subject of homosexual marriages...... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On the subject of homosexual marriages......
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... I found this article as very interesting reading.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Happiness, it seems, is an affront; they simply cannot fathom the idea of two people wishing to live together as a family, and to be accepted the way the Almighty created them."

The phrase non sequitur comes to mind. Nobody said "you can't be happy because we hate happy people". They said "you can't be happy because we hate homosexuals". Or, in the case of the authors' families, "you can't be happy because we hate your partner's religion". It's just bigotry. Oppose it on that point. Don't try to theorize some sort of conspiracy of depressives.

"A Muslim monthly magazine asked its readers in an editorial, 'Would you rather have church or state in your bedroom?'"

Response 1: Aren't they the same thing in most Muslim countries?

Response 2: I'd rather have a woman in my bedroom, but maybe that's just me.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you believe your religion doesn't permit gay marriage, then simply don't marry a person of your own sex. End of story. Why would you wish to impose this standard on people who believe that religion, in their interpretation, does not exclude same-sex marriages?
Because Religion still holds sway over the legislative process the world over.

Even in Canada, I still can't kill whover I want.
I say "Hey man, that's your religious belief, not mine" but they just don't listen.
Tolerant of other's lifestyles my ass!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bedroom is too small for a church or a state, and thinking about it, some women too, but the women would be more welcome......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why people are so uptight about gay marriages. It's not like THEY'RE getting married to a member of the same sex. So why should they be so upitty? (I don't know how to spell that word, if it even is a word)

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
I don't see why people are so uptight about gay marriages. It's not like THEY'RE getting married to a member of the same sex.

Mabye they're jsut keeping their options open. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because, Dabang, while all people of all colors, class, race, and preference are creations of God, and all of them, without any discrimination whatsoever are equally entitled to say "our Father who art in heaven...", and all of them share the same human nature, homosexuals are in an exclusion clause.
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another forum I was at touched on this topic and I liked what this guy said:

quote:
If we're going to declare marriages to be about love, then make it so. Don't say they're about love, deny that love can occur between people of the same gender, and then deny them the right to marriage. Don't declare that marriages are about love, allow homosexual marriages, simply to turn it back and say, "Welcome to the world of marriage, you lovey-dovey queers: pay our tax." Marriage is a financial and legal institution, and love is simply one of our wacky ideologies that muddled it up.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marriage is a financial and legal institution, and love is simply one of our wacky ideologies that muddled it up.

And thus, while cute...the whole line of argument is irrelevant. The primary opposition to gay marriages is religious, therefore while that argument may be of influence towards businessmen, lawyers, and the romantic, it has no bearing on the line of reasoning that marriage is a union between a man and a woman as declared by God and sanctified by the church.

Cartman: Of course the Church also discriminates against oh, murderers, sinners, adulterers, the gluttinous.......and Muslims, Jews, Bhuddists, etc. The key here is choice, all of the above lifestyles are choices and as far as the Church still believes (and it still hasn't been proved either way scientifically as far as I know) that being gay is a choice.
Race, class, colour, etc. are all out of our control and thus non-comparable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Cartman: Of course the Church also discriminates against oh, murderers, sinners, adulterers, the gluttinous

The gluttinous?
Almost EVERY bishop is a cow.
Find me a bishop that works out.
Go ahead, try. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nhepiscopal.org/BishopSearch Here you go slim trim hardworking and Gay as a British Admiral.
IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, are you autistic?
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Haven't you heard the old saying "The only traditions of the British Navy are Rum Sodomy and the Lash". They used to attribute the saying to Winston Churchill. His secretary said he didn't come up with the line but he wished that he had.

The point being here is not all Religions are dead set against homosexuals. Just as not all Brits are homosexuals.
This particular Bishop is a homosexual its, mentioned in the search area of that web site. Also he's not a fat Cow and apparently works hard at his job.

The main people objecting to same sex marriges in the US are the insurance companies. At least the ones who can affect the law making process. Most people here don't give a rats ass what gays do. least of all whether or not they get married.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Autism it is.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Apparently the fact that the main objections to Gay Marriges comes from the companies that insure workers hasn't come to your attention.

When you work for a company in this country your employer has to give certain benefits to your family. Health insurance dental care and some other stuff. Same sex Marrige partners would be eligible for the same thing. You do the math.

Besides look at all the recent scandals in the Catholic Church. Who are they kidding.

Remember separation of church and state. That they can do. separation of politicians and big business is another story altogether.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps