Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » On the subject of homosexual marriages...... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On the subject of homosexual marriages......
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MM: That bishop is also Episcopalian. I believe the question referred to Roman Catholic bishops, as evidenced by the use of the phrase "the Church".
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora Regina quoted: "If we're going to declare marriages to be about love, then make it so."

You know, I haven't thought about it in a long time but I'm pretty sure that it's a rather modern development, looking at history.
I'm not sure the God of the Bible would define marriage as "a union that should be made when two people love eachother".
I get the impression that it's a bit understated, anyway.

I mean, what with all the marrying for political, diplomatic and power-gaining motives (getting land or riches from the girl's parents in exchange for becoming a member of your house), I think the modern, generally accepted notion of marriage as a sweet, romantic entity got widespread rather late. Say, 1500's and forward.
What do you people think?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there are two competing tendencies when it comes to our consideration of the past. We either romanticize it, overlooking the often harsh and brutal conditions that make up the statistically typical human experience, or we veer in the opposite direction and see it as this totally alien place.

Anyway, it seems to me that our understanding of what makes a happy life (including a happy marriage) are, in fact, pretty modern. But at the same time, we wouldn't love at all if it didn't have a deep evolutionary history.

And the Bible does, at least, contain an ode to getting it on.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a sociology class I took (to finish off my gen. ed. credits), the teacher said the idea of families caring about each other (rather than being an economic entity) only dates back to something like the late 1700s.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee will remember that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
In a sociology class I took (to finish off my gen. ed. credits), the teacher said the idea of families caring about each other (rather than being an economic entity) only dates back to something like the late 1700s.

You had an idiot for a sociolgy teacher.
Where did he come up with that crap?
Even literature from aincent times shows families caring about each other.
Aincent mythology is rife with familial caring.
Bible stuff too. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I think it had more to do with what was viewed as the main purpose of a family. In olden tymes (or, as Liam would have it, when Lee was coming of age), people married and had hordes of children because they needed free labor and stuff like that. Only later did the idea arise that one should hold off on marriage in order to find love, and all that romantic stuff.

I don't know. I was only trying to get by in the class enough so I wouldn't pull my GPA down. I only took it because I had to. It was in the morning! Come on!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not blaming you! [Big Grin]
People really do view the past as either horrible, oppressive and uncaring or rosy and wonderful charming.

Any people that could fall in love in a world without deoderant, toilet paper or sex eduaction are pretty hardy without having to marry for money. [Wink]
Mabye he just had a unloving childhood where his parents married for financial gain and used him as slave labor.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now look here! I'd give all you young guttersnipes a dashed good horse-whipping, only my hip's getting bad now the weather's changing.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee, you don't want to stone them a little instead???

Loveless marriages suck, or, half loveless marriages suck.... Sometime marriage sucks....

Fuck the guns, ban marriage!!!!

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than create a new thread devoted to the latest absurdities of the Catholic Church. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The skulls of these people are laced with such a fucking heavy element it should be added to the periodic table.

[ October 09, 2003, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one about "condoms promoting promiscuity" always leaves me ROTFL. Or causes a psychosomatically induced epileptic attack that amounts to the same.
[Eek!]
Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman, your post looks like that after being edited?
That entry gets a loll from Nim, and rightly so.

If only all the promiscuous catholic priests in the Vatican were to contract AIDS, maybe that would be an eyeopener for them...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
The skulls of these people are laced with such a fucking heavy element it should be added to the periodic table.

This ties in nicely with the thread about Dark Matter being discovered as real...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps