Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Things Hitting The Fan? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Things Hitting The Fan?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tenet: "Operative."

He might know.

Also: Name in Middle East Bio Page != Reveal of Occupation.

Oh, no! Your name is Rob Farquar!

I would not guess Librarian.

Well, maybe not.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tenet: operative? Show. Operative != covert, necessarily. Analyst != secret.

UM != counterintelligence operative, either. UM= -interested in learning if Agent name = mentioned name. CIntelOperative = +interested.

But that's what happens when you don't get the Matrix.

OTOH, IF maiden name = cover name Then maiden name mentioned anywhere, including bio = bad

Leak probably = old Clinton holdover. If Bush deserves criticism for anything, its not cleaning house properly.

In any case, you couldn't learn anything from searching "Rob Farquar" as that = not correct spelling. [Razz]

I would not guess researcher.

I would be correct.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I will work on this sort of equalsign/english as The New Shorthand.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly isn't a non-story when he keeps changing his version of it.

quote:
But then there's this passage in a July 22nd article in Newsday ...

Novak, in an interview, said his sources had come to him with the information. "I didn't dig it out, it was given to me," he said. "They thought it was significant, they gave me the name and I used it."

Joshua Micah Marshall, Talking Points Memo

One might ask, not me mind you, but someone else might ask, which version of his story is he lying about.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because she was'nt James Bond, hardly means her status as an operative is something the press needs to know or that it could'nt endanger her.

What if the Chief of Police in New York announced the names of all NYPD employees?
Even if they were'nt beat cops or undercover cops, they're still entitled to their anominity: even if their freinds know their occupation it's not public knowledge and revealing it compromises their safety.

Add the fact that this "leak" was done as political payback and you've gone from irresponsible to criminal territory.

What if the democrats announced the names and addresses of President's immeadeate family?
It's not too hard to find out, I suppose, but it would certainly put them at risk.

It's just political retaliation isint it?
Nothing to get upset about.

Man, I really really am hating this administration's dirty tricks.
Welcome to Nixon for the new century.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this were Clinton, there would have already been independent counsel appointed.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is true, although I think in Clinton's case it was unwarranted.
And I'm no Democrat.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orginally posted by First of Two:
quote:
Leak probably = old Clinton holdover. If Bush deserves criticism for anything, its not cleaning house properly.

Ah, so it's Clinton's fault. Like always.

--------------------
Meh

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Rob, attacking Clinton whenever Bush is in trouble = Really Old Routine.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it'll get a whole lot older. After eighteen years in power the Conservative government here in the UK was still brushing off any criticism by saying they were doing better than the last Labour government. A week may be a long time in politics, but grudges last forever. Needle Rob enough and he'll probably start ranting about the New Deal. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind you, a retarded monkey could've done a better job than the last Labour government. Or this one...

Bush welcomes probe

quote:
In his first public remarks on the affair, Mr Bush urged anyone with information to come forward, saying: "I want to know the truth."

It is alleged that administration officials leaked the name of the agent - the wife of a former US diplomat - in revenge for his claims that intelligence officials exaggerated the case for war in Iraq.

Correspondents say it is extremely rare for the Department of Justice to conduct a full investigation into the alleged leaking of classified information.

Disclosing a covert agent's name is a criminal offence in the US, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

The 'have your say' bit from the BBC website. Usually good for a laugh if nothing else... [Razz]
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll end soon. The media wants an investigation, but not so badly that they're willing to put up with being investigated in order to find out who actually leaked the info.

(My money being on Tenet, who has means, motive, and opportunity. If only I were a Democrat, the seriousness of that charge would be enough to get wall-to-wall coverage for the next week. )

Novak himself says nobody in the Bush adminstration contacted him.
quote:
"Nobody in the Bush administration called me to leak this. In July I was interviewing a senior administration official on Ambassador Wilson's report when he told me the trip was inspired by his wife, a CIA employee working on weapons of mass destruction.

"Another senior official told me the same thing. As a professional journalist with 46 years experience in Washington I do not reveal confidential sources. When I called the CIA in July to confirm Mrs. Wilson's involvement in the mission for her husband -- he is a former Clinton administration official -- they asked me not to use her name, but never indicated it would endanger her or anybody else.

quote:
"According to a confidential source at the CIA, Mrs. Wilson was an analyst, not a spy, not a covert operator, and not in charge of undercover operatives."
Note that last bit. Somebody at the CIA confirmed that she worked for them.

Today's Flip-flop:

""This is one of the most reckless and nasty things I�ve seen in all my years of government," Schumer said. "Leaking the name of a CIA agent is tantamount to putting a gun to that agent�s head. It compromises her safety and the safety of her loved ones, not to mention those in her network and other operatives she may have dealt with. On top of that, the officials who have done it may have also seriously jeopardized the national security of this nation." - Charles Schumer, 7/24/03

"This bill would have violated the core purpose of the First Amendment. Although the bill seemed well intentioned in its attempt to deter leaks of classified information that could affect our national security, it did so without regard for the potential of rampant over-classification of government information and would have had a profound effect on the ability of an informed citizenry to keep our government honest," Charles Schumer, in his statement about Clinton's veto of a bill containing higher penalties for "leakers." 11/4/2000. Congressional Quarterly.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Your guess, Fo2, is Tenet.
A Clinton appointee.
You are blaming Clinton again, this time indirectly.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oh, and contrary to some reports, Wilson's wife IS in fact an undercover operative. That is no longer an issue.

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Oh, and contrary to some reports, Wilson's wife IS in fact an undercover operative.

Prove that.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps