Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part II (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part II
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread was not based on anything that matters in world of today. Words are after all just words. Some have great importance and others do not.

Let me see.....

Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, Powell: Most important.

Anyone else who does not support the above: Not important.

QED.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words not names. Words spoken years ago before the world changed for the worst and things hit the fan in a way that could not be ignored.

Now if you don't mind get back to the thread. making off the wall cracks about every thing I say just confuses the issue.

Post something that has something to do with the actual subject, rather than trolling for a reply from me. I haven't seen any real argument against the war yet only pc crap that inflates the ego of the clique.

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.
Thank god we have you to keep the thread on track.

Thank you so much.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mountain Man, I think you are in the wrong place for a thread to stay on track. The mere thought of it is hilarious....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Powells statement was aparently made long before Sept.11,2001 alot of peoples attitudes changed in that time period.

This thread was not based on anything that matters in world of today. Words are after all just words. Some have great importance and others do not.

Mr. Powell's mere words matter a great deal, as words should from Secretaries of State and Presidents. Words spoken by Secretaries of State and Presidents in public forums are indicators of administration policy and as such carry great weight in international and national circles.

There are a couple of very important points to be made here.

Mr. Powell statement indicates that prior to the September 11th attacks the Bush administration believed Hussein contained, controlled and of little threat to his neighbors. And if Hussein was not a threat to his neighbors, then he certainly wasn�t a threat to the United States of America. So, whence all the hyped-up bleating by the same Bush administration about the immediate threat of Hussein in the �we have to invade now� excuses before the war?

Mr. Powell�s statement also brings the WMDs back into question. It was administration policy before 9/11 that Hussein �has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction.� That calls the motives of the Bush administration into question and certainly strengthens my case that they used the WMD issue as an excuse to scare the American people into allowing the invasion.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good points.

quote:
And if Hussein was not a threat to his neighbors, then he certainly wasn’t a threat to the United States of America.
Did anyone ever say he was?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the Administration said he was, but mayhap not...

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saddam 'may have bluffed'

quote:
David Kay will tell the intelligence committees of both houses of Congress that Saddam pretended his battlefield commanders had chemical weapons, in order to deter invasion, according to the Washington Post.

At closed briefings on Thursday, he is also widely expected to say that so far no weapons have been found.

The BBC's Justin Webb says that, although the results are only provisional, it is fair to predict that they will not be the findings the Bush administration wanted or expected to see.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But of course this is still only a draft. One can only assume that it's common practice in the States to write totally the opposite of what your report will say into the draft version. Or perhaps they're trying to make it more interesting reading, and adding a twist in the tale. So a summary page might read like this:

REPORT INTO WMDs IN IRAQ

By David Kay

Introduction

Iraq has WMDs. Everone knows that.

Chapter 1

Gosh, I wonder where these WMDs are? Here? Nope.

Chapter 2

How about over here? Nope. There? Nope.

Chapter 3

Let's ask these people. . ? Nope. How about you? Nope.

Chapter 4

Ooh, what's this? Oh, fertilizer. Aha! Chemical protection gear! Oh, "Best Before End: 1991." Rats.

Conclusion

Can't find anything, sorry.

Appendix

Oh, wait, here they are!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Meanwhile, we are listening to Pink Floyd chanting 'Waiting' over and over....

I still can't see a lunatic like Saddam destroying such a fun toy to use....

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't see a lunatic like Saddam NOT USING such fun toys, and yet, that's what he did (or rather, didn't).
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yes, that is very puzzling, I do admit, unless his capacity was destroyed some how....

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Yes, that is very puzzling, I do admit, unless his capacity was destroyed some how....

Like, maybe, with the help of the Russians (who had well-known plans for fast WMD disposal and had employed them before, and a "delegation" of whom were in Iraq at the time) in the last few days before the shooting began.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Russians were there as experts on the creation, storage, disosing of WMD style weapons so mabye they exterted some pressure of their own to get rid of the WMD.....
A country's got to take care of it's customers after all. [Wink]

Nothing they could'nt re-create later y'know.

While this is supposition of the highest order, it is odd that the Russian experts were there at all if there was no reason for their presence.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You'll find out sometime this month, I expect.
Kay is planning to make his case to Congress as early as mid-September.

Rob, First of Two

quote:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 2 � The government's chief weapons inspector in Iraq told Congress Thursday that his team had failed to find illegal weapons after three months of scouring the country, but he said they had discovered some evidence of Saddam Hussein's intent to develop such weapons and even signs that Baghdad had retained some capacity to do so.

----

Congressional leaders from both parties expressed concern that Dr. Kay's group had not found proof that Iraq, on the eve of war, had unconventional weapons.

"I'm not pleased by what I heard today," said Senator Pat Roberts, the Kansas Republican who is chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. He said Americans were hoping there would be a breakthrough by now, but, he said, "There has not been a breakthrough."

He said his committee is continuing to investigate why the C.I.A. and other agencies were off the mark in assessing Iraq's weapons programs.

Senator John D. Rockefeller IV, the West Virginia Democrat who is the ranking minority member on the Senate intelligence committee, said that Dr. Kay's report raised fresh doubts about the Bush administration's policy of pre-emptive war.

"I just think it's extraordinary that a decision was made to go to war, and that we were told by our highest policy makers that there was, you know, an imminent threat," he said.

He said he wondered whether further inspections would turn up anything, saying "this raises real questions about something called the doctrine of pre-emption, the way we make decisions at the highest level," he said.

James Risen and Judith Miller, The New York Times

More from the Times....

quote:
NEWS ANALYSIS: ASSESSMENT

A Reckoning: Iraqi Arms Report Poses Political Test for Bush

The preliminary report delivered on Thursday by the chief arms inspector in Iraq forces the Bush administration to come face to face with this reality: that Saddam Hussein's armory appears to have been stuffed with precursors, potential weapons and bluffs, but that nothing found so far backs up administration claims that Mr. Hussein posed an imminent threat to the world.

In public, President Bush says that is not the issue. What should make a difference to Americans, and to the world, he says, is that Mr. Hussein is gone and Iraq is free. "One thing is for certain," Mr. Bush argued last month at a fund-raiser, using a line he repeats often these days. "Terrorist groups will not ever be able to get weapons of mass destruction in Iraq because Saddam Hussein is no more."

But in private, Mr. Bush's political aides concede that it does matter, and it may matter more as the politics of running for president collide with the realities of containing the chaos in occupied Iraq.

While the report by the arms inspector, David Kay, is not final, and while the inspectors may yet come upon a cache of weapons, the preliminary findings support the claims of critics, including Democratic candidates, that Mr. Bush used dubious intelligence to justify his decision to go to war. At worst, these critics say, the usual caveats and cautions of the underlying intelligence reports were ignored in the rush to war.

Without question, the gap between what Mr. Bush said existed in Iraq and what Dr. Kay has failed to find will be argued about again and again as Americans discuss whether it was right to go into Iraq in the first place, and debate what to do now.

David E. Sanger, The New York Times

Something from the Washington Post maybe?

quote:
In Iraq, U.S. Finds No Banned Weapons
Tenet Assails Panel Leaders' Criticism of Prewar Data

After searching for nearly six months, U.S. forces and CIA experts have found no chemical or biological weapons in Iraq and have determined that Iraq's nuclear program was in only "the very most rudimentary" state, the Bush administration's chief investigator formally told Congress yesterday.

Before the war, the administration said Iraq had a well-developed nuclear program that presented a threat to the United States.

Now, "It clearly does not look like a massive, resurgent program, based on what we discovered," former U.N. weapons inspector David Kay, who heads the government's search, said yesterday after briefing House and Senate intelligence committees in a closed session on his interim report. He said he will need six to nine months to conclude his work, and congressional sources said the administration is requesting an additional $600 million toward the effort to find weapons of mass destruction.

Dana Priest and Walter Pincus, The Washington Post

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps