Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part II (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part II
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
improved quality of life
For which read "in that it's Americans, not Iraqis that are responsible for the ending of same."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only for about 10,000, the rest should, in a shorter amount of time than if Iraq hadn't been invaded, begin seeing an improvement....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cold as it sounds, if it's a choice between our killing ten thousand and letting Sadaam kill far more while he enslaves the rest, I choose the former. I don't see how anyone could not. Of course, you could argue that there were other possible courses, but I don't know what they'd be off hand.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of us would probably agree with that sentiment, Omega. What I (and several others) don't agree on is the means and motive used to achieve that end.

The fact that Americans now control Iraqi oil makes justification somewhat muddier.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree!
We should dump Iraq on Kofi's shoulders and watch the fun really begin! [Big Grin]
Yes, that was sarcasm.

We really need to set a date that we'll leave Iraq on. (under two years for sure)
Then do everything we can to make the country a self-sufficent democracy with U.N. supervision and logistical assistance.

And mabye leave behind a small plaque stating:
"Remember, we can be back within one month, so watch it, pal."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right next to a sign that reads:

XXXX Days since the last slaughter of our own civilians!!!

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There needs to be a twelve-step program for dictators.

"Look! I went all week without publicly disemboweling a regime critic! Yay me! I deserve a twinkie! Now if only I could stretch it out to a month I'd get one of those little gold stars in my notebook..."

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but I'm sure Bush said it, and I'll find the article if I can...

Before the war, Bush said that if Saddam cooperated and revealed and destroyed his WMD, then his regime could stay.

Huh? I thought this was about liberating Iraq from an evil dictator. Apparently, if Saddam had WMD and he cooperated, then he could stay in Iraq and continue to brutalize his people. Now, for an administration that claims to be all for the people of Iraq, it doesn't seem like a logical thing to say.

This statement also seems to imply that, contrary to what people are saying now, the WMD threat was the main, number 1, NUMERO UNO reason for going into Iraq. Not removing a brutal dictator. Of course, if it had been about dictators, we would've blown away Mugabe or Kim Jong Ill by now.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I couldn't find Bush's statements, but I found these.

Colin Powell, Oct. 2002

Very interesting.

Note:

quote:
"All we‘re interested in is getting rid of those weapons of mass destruction. We think the Iraqi people would be a lot better off with a different leader, a different regime. But the principal offense here are weapons of mass destruction," Mr. Powell said.

So, what he's saying is: "Yeah, we'd like to help Iraq, but if he gave up his weapons, then, sure, he could stay."

And, for all those who say "It wasn't likely Saddam would cooperate," then disprove me by telling me where his vast WMD stocks were.

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those statements were so much lip service ...even back then none of us at Flare really bought that crap.
Remember?

'Cept Woozle of course, but he's been a bit soft in the head since the wheat thresher incident. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

and the thresher hasn't been quite right either....

They needed a starting point for their goal of removing Saddam, they just picked the wrong one.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I am simply pointing out our administration's hypocrisy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about instead of that you get busy and fix the thresher?

Wheat doesn't thresh itself you know.

TK

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm just trying to market Self-Threshing-Wheat-Bolts.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will they come pre-frosted with sugar? 'Cause I got some ice-cold milk right here!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps