Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » ESPN And Their Racist Friend (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ESPN And Their Racist Friend
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Limbaugh Resigns Over Comments on McNabb

NEW YORK - Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN on Wednesday night, three days after saying Philadelphia Eagles (news) quarterback Donovan McNabb (news) is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

----

Before McNabb led the Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills (news) on Sunday, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on "Sunday NFL Countdown."

Yahoo

How ironic that I was driving home listening to TMBG's Flood today thinking about this.

quote:
Out from the kitchen to the bedroom to the hallway
Your friend apologizes, he could see it my way
He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking
Can�t shake the devil�s hand and say you�re only kidding

This is where the party ends
I can�t stand here listening to you
And your racist friend
I know politics bore you
But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you
And your racist friend

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat idiot. [Wink]

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big question in my mind is, why would ESPN hire Limbaugh as a commentator in the first place. He's not exactly non-biased, compared to other commentators.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and he's overweight too....

I never did like him....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Limbaugh's statement did not imply racism on his part, as you seem to believe. He effectively said that he believed that various elements of the media were racist, which is a completely different statement. Mind you, I have no interest in the quarterback himself or any of the media reaction to him, nor in Limbaugh's relation to any of this. Just pointing out what he actually said.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did ESPN hire Rush Limbaugh?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he basicly said is that McNabb is not so good and the only reason he got to the place where he's at is that he's had helping hands from the NFL and the media and he got those helping hands because he's black. Not because of talent, but because he's black.

That's not quite the creampuff statement you want to make it out to be Omega.

quote:
Rush Limbaugh says that if you believe Donovan McNabb is a really good quarterback, it isn't because he is a really good quarterback. It's because you have a secret desire to see a black quarterback succeed in the NFL.

Rich Hofmann, The Philadelphia Daily News

Readthis too.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he basicly said is that McNabb is not so good and the only reason he got to the place where he's at is that he's had helping hands from the NFL and the media and he got those helping hands because he's black. Not because of talent, but because he's black.

Which is not a statement of racism on Limbaugh's part. You might claim that he knows nothing of football because McNabb is indeed a good player, but Limbaugh is at worst paranoid, seeing racists where there are none. There is no way his statement can be interpreted as thinking of black people as somehow inferior unless you believe Limbaugh already thinks that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
There is no way his statement can be interpreted as thinking of black people as somehow inferior unless you believe Limbaugh already thinks that.

Which they do believe. Because they have to, or they'll take away their Liberal membership cards. Opponents are always racist, sexist, fascist, or whatever other label you can pin on them. The severity of the accusation is always more important than the truth of it.

Only liberals are allowed to bring race into any issue. When liberals mention race it is always a symbol and indication of their undying love for and devotion to all who cannot claim whiteness. When conservatives bring race to the table it is always because they are closet racists and just want to keep their boots on the black man's neck.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, if that player has said some white player was in place because of his color there'd be a rally supporting the statment.

It's a double standard but on the other hand, Limbaugh's been a shrewd media manipulator for years so this comment was just dumb.

It's also been noted that Limbaugh's knowledge of sports and sports facts is at best lackng.
WTF was he doing there anyway?!?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
...unless you believe Limbaugh already thinks that.
Unfortunatly for El Rushbo, he's already made statements that lead me to believe that he is a bigot.

quote:
As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a ninety-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

Jeff Cohen and Steve Rendall, FAIR

But Omega, you're probably right. Whereas these particular comments were racially insensitive, and I do tend to think that they came from that very large bigoted placed inside Mr. Limbaugh, this specific comments may not rise to the level of racism.

But, the comment also tells me that Mr. Limbaugh doesn't know didily squat about matters of race in America.

quote:
Opponents are always racist, sexist, fascist, or whatever other label you can pin on them.
Gee, Captain Can't-Remember-Recent-Events, just like conservatives as regards the former Miguel Estrada nomination?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just think he's an ass, for being a rude fuck on the radio from when my platoon sergeant listened to him in the early 90's....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Which they do believe. Because they have to, or they'll take away their Liberal membership cards. Opponents are always racist, sexist, fascist, or whatever other label you can pin on them. The severity of the accusation is always more important than the truth of it.

"Only liberals are allowed to bring race into any issue. When liberals mention race it is always a symbol and indication of their undying love for and devotion to all who cannot claim whiteness. When conservatives bring race to the table it is always because they are closet racists and just want to keep their boots on the black man's neck."

And conservatives like to have gay butt-sex.

Not that it's true, but, if that's the kind of discussion we're having...

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet that McNabb is not the only good black quarterback in the NFL.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Vick is the best quarterback in the NFL.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps