Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I join the ranks of the SUV haters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I join the ranks of the SUV haters
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the expressway, in the fast lane driving and minding my own business, when some asshole in an SUV nearly hits me when he tries to cut in front of me. His action forces me to go into the left shoulder, where there is an 18-wheeler parked there. Now, the shoulder is slick with ice, and my car has ABS, so any attempt to slow down results in well, I can't completely slow down with ABS active.

I end up clipping the rear of the Tractor-trailer. Fortunately, I was able to limit the damage to a broken left headlight, a large dent on the front left, and a rather large scratch in that same area.

To add insult to injury, the Police deem this accident as my fault, if only because I am unable to provide any witnesses who can confirm that I was cut off (no one bothered to stop when I hit the truck). And I don't have a license plate of the damned vehicle, all this happened too fast.

There goes my low low insurance rate. Now I have to fork over 4 times as much per month. [Mad]

If I could find that damned SUV driver, I'd probably do things too nasty enough to be in these forums. The odd thing is, the SUV was a Suzuki Grand Vitara, the same one my ex drives. Not a really good sign, huh?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While sorry to hear that doesn't seem to be enough, it's all I got.

Sorry to hear that.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also hate SUV's.
All the grace of a garbage truck driven by some dimwit on a cell phone.
I had many a near death experience with SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicles) back when I rode my bike to work.

Now I have an airbag and fear nothing mortal.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SUV's are just one more sign of the complete rot that has taken hold in our society these days. It's the ultimate example of mobile conspicuous wealth.

Now, there are some legitimate uses for SUV's out there. Technically, my dad owns an SUV -- it's an '02 Subaru Outback. But the Outbacks are really more of a station wagon, anyway.

And all that safety bullshit that everyone spouts for those damn vehicles of death? If I were made dictator-of-the-world for just one day, the first thing I'd do is wipe every last frelling SUV off the face of the planet.

*sigh*

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The odd thing is, the SUV was a Suzuki Grand Vitara, the same one my ex drives.

Coincidence? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thought strikes me...can you drive a car in the US while talking on (and holding) a mobile phone?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not very well.
THere are "hands free" speakerphone type devices and the kind that make you look like a Secret Service agent with the earbud wire runnig down your back but most idiots I see driving are holding their phones with one hand and driving while in animated conversation about god knows what that cant wait untill they get the fuck home. [Roll Eyes]

I just heard today that some lawmaker wants to pass legislation forcing SUV drivers to be subject to all the weight and safety requirments that commercial trucks have to meet.

It'll never happen because most SUV's would need to be recalled for safety deficiencies.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now I have an airbag and fear nothing mortal."

Don't fear the SUVs. Fear the undead ghouls that drive them.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean is it legal to do that, PsyLiam, then yes it is legal. Unfortunately it leads to many traffic accidents, along with people just not wanting to put on their seat belts.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotcha. I was just wondering because it's recently been made illegal here to use a mobile phone while driving without a hands free kit.

Still, people not putting on seat belts? Didn't everyone grow out of that in the 80s?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was probably decreed that any requirement to wear them violated the Constitution or something daft like that.

Can't stand Suzukis, fucking jumped-up jeeps is what they are.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it's illegal to talk on a phone without a headset or such in NYC, and I heard rumor that it would be so in all of Tennessee, like, today, but I heard nothing more of it. My only real problem with it is that it's safer for me to hold the phone to my ear while driving than it is for me to try and put the headset on while driving. So either I wear it all the time, even though I don't get that many calls, or I need one of them radio-based ones.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's nothing wrong with SUVs in and of themselves. Its the people that drive them that you have to worry about. Personally I'm getting a little sick and tired of people that go spouting off about how much they hate SUVs when its not the vehicle's fault, just the stupid fuck that's driving it to piss you off. I spend a lot of time in an SUV, as my girlfriend drives one. And they're great vehicles to have, especially around here in the winter time.

Its the people that have SUVs without using them for what they're made that you need to get your anger out on.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, uh, just about every SUV owner out there, then?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
My only real problem with it is that it's safer for me to hold the phone to my ear while driving than it is for me to try and put the headset on while driving.

Really? Can't you just put the little bud on the dashboard, and then stick it in your ear?

But yeah, the radio ones are the most convenient.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps