Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » bah (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: bah
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, to own guns, or generally?

------------------
'Saying it in a stacato voice doesn't make it any more true'
-Stewart Lee

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Megatron: "Waspinator, salvage Inferno."
Waspinator: "Inferno blow up, Waspinator must salvage. Waspinator blow up, nobody salvage. Why universe hate Waspinator?"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who the hell would WANT to invade Switzerland?
And are there enough people in one place across all those mountains to give a crime rate to speak of?

Surely you don't want every household to "have an assualt rifle"?!!!

As for statistics....well I think less people in the UK get shot dead than do in the USA....

*argument lands once more, squashing First of Two*

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Funny,

Should every house have an assault rifle? Like I said, it works for the Swiss, but no, not really, it's not really necessary.

However, if every home had at least one responsible adult who knew how to own and store a firearm safely and properly use it; if everyone were trained, even if they chose not to own a firearm, it couldn't hurt.

No, I'm NOT in favor of no restrictions at all. I believe you should:

1) Be at least 18
2) Take and ACE mandatory training (you don't get an "A," you fail.)
3) be able to verify that you're mentally stable.
4) have never been convicted of anything worse than speeding or parking improperly.

If you commit a crime with a gun, there should be a non-negotiable minimum of 5 years added to your sentence - no parole.

If you commit a murder with a gun, you should recieve in kind.

On the other hand, if you shoot a criminal and are found to have been justified, the state should pay all your legal fees and reward you a bounty bonus. Cops too. Call it a reward for saving us all the expense of the crook's jailhouse upkeep.

That would satisfy me... and cut down considerably on "accidents" AND crime.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First - I agree with your last post. However, the reason people don't invade Switzerland is pretty simple:
1. They're neutral (*L*)
2. It's damn hard to invade the place! The Swiss have an excellent defensive geographic setting. ivasion would be too expensive! (As I understand it).

Jeff - I disagree with the idea that racial diversity has anything to do with crime. The UK, Aus, Canada etc all all very ethnically diverse regions and the crime rate is much lower. I think it would be much safer to pin it down to big city poverty.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, I don't wanna argue about this.

My last comment on the subject is a truism:
Most people are stupid.
No way to let me have a gun, and them not, so I feel safer if nobody has one.

Ciao for now.

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so if nobody has guns then we are left with knives and those annoying bamboo canes. Using those kinds of weapons violates a persons intimate space! At least with a trusty ol' gun, you have the decency of allowing some distance. And do you have any idea how long it takes to kill someone with a knife, let alone a bamboo cane? If they are fighting back it could take several minutes. That's a lot of hard work. A gun saves all that energy for other activities, like escaping and the occasional rape of the dead.

Ouuu. Did I ever hit some nerves here? Well good, all sides of an issue should be presented, but foremost don't just read the words I write, read the underlying subtle message therein. You may find yourself surprised to find you do agree with the message, even if the words are ironic. Because really now, not all rifle scopes are attached to rifles. Sometimes they are just telescope substitutes. . .

Oh! When the French invade the US, we'll be sure to have Jerry Lewis on the front line.
------------------
IF is the middle word in Life.
--Appocalypse Now

[This message was edited by Cargile on April 17, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, that was funny. But the 'you look prety doing it through a rifle scope wasn't. It was just offensive.

Making jokes about, erm, thingyphilia (making love to the dead) it a perfectly acceptable topic.

------------------
'My rigid grill structure...'
-Dinobot

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

necrophilia.. which is disgusting BTW..

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm beginning to suspect that you fellows have no respect for the art of murder. The whole act is the piece. So is how it shatters the lives of those effected. Important things to remember are How do want to control the emotion of the piece? Am I looking for a head shot, or will a chest wound do. It all depends on if you are looking for subtleness, or pure horror. And even though firing a high powered rifle into a crowd affords a masterpiece to be remembered for decades, the little incidents have a flair of mystery that I find exhilarating. Don't you?
After all, it's art seen through the lens of a scope. . .

------------------
IF is the middle word in Life.
--Appocalypse Now

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Gone back to disturbing again... And mildly offensive.

------------------
'My rigid grill structure...'
-Dinobot

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disturbing and mildly offensive.

Yep! Once you get to know him, that's a pretty good description.

------------------
How do I do it?
I have an advantage.
I remember how to open a dictionary.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The patriot.org Clinton page makes me wanna vomit. That website could be rather a reason not to be proud of America, if that matters at all. I'm glad I don't need to decide it for myself.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Swiss example: Switzerland's crime rate may be a bit lower than that of the adjacent countries, but in my opinion this is rather attributed to the lack of large metropolitan areas than legal rifles. Furthermore I am not sure if military service improves carefulness about firearms. Anyone should be aware that playing around with a weapon which is potentially loaded is dangerous, anything else is careless, is stupid. Personally the training during my military service didn't help me very much. Using a pistol, I missed the aim in a 25m distance at virtually every shot. So I can be even more glad I have never been in a situation where I wished to have a pistol, for it wouldn't have helped me anyway, and I wouldn't have been ready to use it.
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has owned guns for years, always will.
Dropped out of NRA as they became more and more political.
The only death on that Clinton page that is really suspicious was Vince Foster. Ms. Clinton removed some papers from his apartment that may have been Whitewater related.
------------------
Down for Upgrade

[This message was edited by The Excalibur on April 21, 1999.]

[This message was edited by The Excalibur on April 21, 1999.]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps