Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I told you so, so why aren't we dealing with it? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I told you so, so why aren't we dealing with it?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050211/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_nuclear

Quote from Condi Rice: "The North Koreans have been told by the president of the United States that the United States has no intention of attacking or invading North Korea."

So why the flat foot this time? Especially since they DO have them, compared to a certain country that DIDN'T.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found their reasoning extremely funny.
They claim it's because Bush's state of the union address spoke of "spreading freedom" that Bush was "diabolical and would make the world burn with the fires of war".

It's possibly the only time I've heard a real person use "diabolical" in a sentence.

Mabye they'll call Tony Blair "dastardly" so he wont feel jilted.

The US (and everyone else for that matter) wont fuck with North Korea just now: not because Kim has nukes, but because he has nukes and he's fucking insane.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we're working on Iran at the moment. I mean, they're obviously more of a danger with us, what with their years-away nuclear program.

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years away, compared to like, RIGHT NOW?

It does not make sense for the US to ignore the more credible threat of North Korea than to chase after Iran.

Unless Iran has oil, of course.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in the past four years has the US done anything that made sense?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We renewed SCRUBS for another season...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, we also reelected George W. Bush.

Which at first glance is a "Huh? That don't make sense" until you realize that its in keeping with the trend of illogic over the last four plus years, and then you're like "Oh, well, that makes perfect sense, then."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least we established stable governments that can fairly and democratically rule their greatful populatons in Afghanistan and Iraq.

uh..no....that's not quite accurate...

We did manage to make America safe and maintain our constitutional rights...

er..

Well, at least Enterprise got renewed.

Oh wait..

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like North Korea wants to both have the cake and eat it.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North Korea wants talks directly with the US, under Clinton this was ongoing and was producing results. They don't want to have just talks with the other countries because the US is the one who keeps pushing the buttons to get NK sanctioned and harrased by the rest of the world. Why Bushco decided to stop the direct talks and go to this strange arrangement where they will only talk to NK through the other countries, I'll never know.
NK talks directly with every country in the little group except the US.
The US is using the Kirk strategy and like Khan, NK has called them on it.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the whole arena of world politics to be rather childish. And unfortunately, the parents of the children range from moderately to extremely unstable.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Um...North Korea does NOT want direct talks to disarm.
They want a bribe to discontinue their nuclear program.

They called it a "foreign aid package" but it's a bribe.

At least that was their offer a few years back.
Now Kim may just be going for a place in the history books.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So why the flat foot this time? Especially since they DO have them, compared to a certain country that DIDN'T.
Simple really. Invading countries armed with nukes is rather dangerous; it's much safer to invade countries that don't have them, even if you tell everyone they do.
Plus there isn't much in the way of oil in North Korea, at least not that I'm aware of.
Aside from that if you attack NK, you might as well be attacking China, which is a rather silly thing to do.
Not that I think picking on Iran is a genius move at this point either.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Kim's hair is a valuable rescource of hair gel though...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The US is using the Kirk strategy and like Khan, NK has called them on it."

Yeah, but NK will be brought down because they think two-dimensionally.

And now I'm stuck with this image of Kim Jong-Il calling Bush to tell him he has nukes and Bush yelling into the phone "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM!!!"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.