Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » London Underground explosion(s) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: London Underground explosion(s)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, tricky. And, MaGiC, it's good to see that you're all right.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So has anyone heard from Lee and Kate?

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as pointed out, they do live on the other side of the country. (Assuming Lee's profile is up to date, that is; I think that's the case, but seeing as how he's circumnavigated the globe, housing-wise, lately, I have trouble keeping track.)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got cousins living and working in London, they and their partners are OK. One though was actually in the train immediately behind the one that blew up at Liverpool St. Station. He had to walk through the tube tunnels to get out.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two things I am wondering about these attacks:

1) Where are the bombers? There is some speculation that one of them died in the bus blast, but the rest are obviously still out there. Either they left the country or they are still in Britain, likely planning further attacks (a la Madrid). If they didn't want to die in the blasts, then I assume they don't want to get caught, either.

2) On June 17, a videotape by OBL's no. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, was released. There was speculation that this was a signal to carry out attacks, as several Zawahiri tapes have been followed within 3 weeks by attacks. While this is a good theory, it seems reasonable to assume this was not ordered by the al-Qaeda leadership itself but by an independent group. Still, it's an interesting coincidence.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, "al Qaeda leadership" is sort of a nebulous concept.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaGiC:
Didn't have a chance to post yesterday, but yes i'm fine and well - I work at The Guardian newspaper / guardian unlimited so stuff was somewhat frantic yesterday. It's the first major event since i've worked there and I had no idea what it would be like. I had a slight advantage over lots of people in that I can get my news right from the wires and don't have to wait for it to be published - I was using MSN to keep all my contacts informed with accurate and up to date info. Don't know why I didn't think to do that here! Dur.

Walking home last night was a really strange experience. Streets full of people who had no other way home - and a feeling of solidarity which believe me you don't normally get in London.

Glad everyone seems to be OK.

Clare
X

Really glad to hear you're unharmed.
I hope Lee is well also- as pointed out, he (probably-hopefully) was not near the blasts.

Crazy as it may seem, (from what I've read in the paper today) the authorities have some good leads- two unexploded bombs and bazillions of hours of survelance footage to review.
I've heard that this was not a suicide bomber thing but that timers were used (so much easier than a coordinated attack with people acting directly).

Here's hoping they get these fucktards.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're fine, thanks. When the news broke I was driving to Nottingham for some work-related absurdities. Initially what I heard was a travel report on Radio 2 about a power-surge causing disruption to trains near Liverpool Street, King's Cross and Edgware Road; I immediately smelled a rat as they were too widely-spread out. I phoned Kate who hadn't heard anything - she's the one who called me back about the bus, at which point it became obvious.

Since then I've had no chance to get on the net. Couldn't be bothered to figure out how to dial in from my hotel room. It felt very strange going out to get some dinner in Nottingham, knowing what was going on. Especially when we came out of the restaurant to find that the main square was cordoned off for a security alert.

We always felt that Liverpool Street was a prime target, it's where we used to come into the centre from the suburbs via. Granted we went the other way round the Circle Line (the bomb was on a clockwise train); similarly we worked at King's Cross and I occasionally used the Piccadilly Line to get there, but I'd always get off at KX - unless I was going on to my gym at Russell Square, not something I'd be doing at 9am on a weekday!

Last I heard our old company had one person missing and unaccounted for, and one of Kate's ex-colleagues there had lost her cousin.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, in Fox News land...

Brit Hume: "Just on a personal basis ... I saw the futures this morning, which were really in the tank, I thought 'hmm, time to buy'."

Brian Kilmeade: "I think that works to our advantage, in the western world's advantage, for people to experience something like this together, just 500 miles from where the attacks have happened."

John Gibson: "If they had picked France instead of London to hold the Olympics, it would have been the one time we could look forward to where we didn't worry about terrorism. They'd blow up Paris, and who cares?" He added: "This is why I thought the Brits should let the French have the Olympics - let somebody else be worried about guys with backpack bombs for a while."

But then again, this is what we expect from Fox News.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even better was Bush's comment that "We will stay on the offense, fighting the terrorists abroad so we do not have to face them at home."

Which, of course, put another way, is essentially "Hey, England, better you than us."

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
It felt very strange going out to get some dinner in Nottingham,

You were in Nottingham in the last few days! Damn! [Eek!] You should have let me know - I could have shown you around! Damn! [Eek!]

quote:

Last I heard our old company had one person missing and unaccounted for, and one of Kate's ex-colleagues there had lost her cousin.

Aww that just sucks! [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, if only we had a Prime Minister with balls, who'd grab Bush and hold him by the lapels and shout "YOU are coming down to London with me, and YOU are going to see the people who've died because you wanted to avenge some non-existent assassination plot against your daddy, and then YOU are going to come back up here and sign up to my climate change proposals because it's payback time, motherfucker!" Of course, if we had a Prime Minister with some balls, he'd never have helped Bush invade Iraq in the first place.

More fun and games tonight. Suspect packages in Birmingham city centre, controlled detonations, hundreds of bars and clubs evacuated, the city centre cordoned off. . . And all because some secretary from West Bromwich didn't take her handbag to the bar because she had about a half-dozen Bacardi Breezers to carry back, I'll warrant.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, lets not start with "it's all the American's/ Bush's fault" yet.
I've already heard an earful of that- there would always be a reson for creeps to kill innocents, their motivations of the moment are just more publicly accepted just now.

It's nobody's "fault" people are dead except for the fuckers that planted the bombs.

quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Meanwhile, in Fox News land...
John Gibson: "If they had picked France instead of London to hold the Olympics, it would have been the one time we could look forward to where we didn't worry about terrorism. They'd blow up Paris, and who cares?" He added: "This is why I thought the Brits should let the French have the Olympics - let somebody else be worried about guys with backpack bombs for a while."

Cock-sucker.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

I'm trying not to blame anyone. It just. . . would have been nice.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, I understand that explosive experts from the F.B.I and A.T.F. were sent over immeadeately to help in the investigation and that agents/ground suppot was offered as well.

It's something anyway.

I wish we americans could issue a notice to the world (mabye a UN Resolution) that FOX News does not in any way represent America or the adverage person's viewopoint on anything.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps