Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Domestic Surveillance (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Domestic Surveillance
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
President Bush believes if Al Qaeda is calling somebody in America, it is in our national security interest to know who they're calling and why
Wait, so all they need to do is start cold-calling people in America to start a Witch Hunt? And if they do, does the person called get put on the no-fly list? I mean, does the CIA have Caller ID on every line coming out of Iraq or Afghanastan?

Man, I read the first few pages of the PATRIOT Act, it looks like a corrected assignment without the assignment "Strike", "Add 'OR'", etc.

Wait, I just read that... They can trace my ISP, and put me on their lists.

All that aside, I'm still confused.... Are we still at War???? I suppose that's a question for another Topic.

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've never been at "war" since Mr. Bush never sought and Congress never passed, a resolution of war.

We have not declared war on anyone...just an idea.

We're certainly in a shooting conflict with people or our choosing, but I grow tired of the rhetoric of the media...'we're at war, we're at war!'

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with that assessment. Also looking back on this twenty years from now, the students will not look on it as a "War", but as a "Conflict" or more appropriately a "Mistake" (Like Vietnam. Sticking our noses in where we don't belong - coincidence? I think not.)

But yeah, News channels won't settle for "Conflict" or "Rebellion", it HAS to be "And now for the War in Iraq" (Subnote - which we started with no apparent reason, and we keep calling it that, even though we're the ones trying to change an entire culture, and if we'd only take a page from Star Trek's General Order One, we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.)

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's still "war" even if it hasn't been formally declared...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With whom are we at war?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radical religious nutcases.

Well, Muslim radical religous nutcases anyway- the others are running the circus once called the Republican Party.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, originally, we were having a war with the emotion of fear. But then they changed the name, so we're simply having trouble with maxima and minima. But, actually, I think they went back to the original again.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Still, it's something of an important distinction. Mr. Bush is claiming the constitutional cover for what he's doing is the president's "war powers"...he is afterall a "war president."

So, if we're not in a declared war does the president get all his "war powers?"

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Authorization for Use of Military Force. Supposedly.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same circular logic that alows Gonzalez to say that some information (leaked by the White House) was "declassified", but that the wiretap leak was treason.
They make the rules, so anyone not working for them is breaking whatever rules they decide to make up.

Bush says we're at WAR, so assumes more war powers than any president since FDR.

Somehow, I think if a democrat is elected President, the republicans will be calling for a limit on presidential powers...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Now, to be fair, Congress did give Bush war powers. The Authorization for Use of Military Force that they issued in 2001 specifically invoked the War Powers Resolution. So, the question isn't whether he has powers. It's which powers he has and where he can use them.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Something so open-ended that even his republican pals are concerned...
After all, they need to get re-elected.

As to the powers themselves, do they last indefinitely, or just untill the president declares "Mission Accomplished"?

oh wait...he already declared that.
1800 dead servicemen ago.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows? Bush might pull a Palpatine and elect himself president for life of the Neo-American Empire or something to that effect.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Darth CHeney?
Her's already got the raspy breathing problem down..

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"As to the powers themselves, do they last indefinitely, or just untill the president declares 'Mission Accomplished'?"

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's until the Congress passes another resolution to take them away.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.