Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Domestic Surveillance (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Domestic Surveillance
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Darth CHeney?
Her's already got the raspy breathing problem down..

I think Darth Dick would be more appropriate.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the whole 'are we at war thing,' Glenn Greenwald, who has his own blog at Unclaimed Territory, wrote the following bit on Mr. Bush's Incoherence on the issue of war at Crooks and Liars.

quote:
Presidential Incoherence

George Bush gave another speech yesterday on the "Global War on Terror." If one actually sits down and reads these speeches, it really is staggering how much deceit and propaganda gets packed into each one of them. What they have him say is not just factually false, but directly contrary to claims he made in the past or which other Administration officials are making now. Sometimes, the most compelling argument against the White House's propaganda is simply to place it side-by-side with prior Administration statements and/or undisputed political facts:

BUSH YESTERDAY:

I knew we're at war when they attacked us. As a matter of fact, I was down here in Florida. It didn't take long to figure out what was going on. And I vowed that day that I would not rest, so long as I was the President, in protecting the people. So a lot of my decision-making is based upon the attack.

And I know we're at war, see -- I knew it then, and the enemy has, unfortunately, proved me right because they continue to attack. In order to win the war against the enemy you got to understand the nature of the enemy.

And we've got a coalition of countries. I spent a lot of time reminding people about the nature of the war. Listen, the tendency for folks is to say, well, this really isn't a war.

ATTORNEY GENERAL ALBERTO GONZALES, testifying on February 6 before the Senate Judiciary Committee:

There was not a war declaration, either in connection with Al Qaida or in Iraq. It was an authorization to use military force.I only want to clarify that, because there are implications.

Obviously, when you talk about a war declaration, you're possibly talking about affecting treaties, diplomatic relations. And so there is a distinction in law and in practice. And we're not talking about a war declaration. This is an authorization only to use military force.

BUSH YESTERDAY:

So I want to share some of the strategy in winning this war on terror. Make no mistake about it, we're going to win the war on terror.

Bush during the 2004 Campaign:

President Bush ignited a Democratic inferno of criticism on Monday by suggesting the war on terrorism could not be won, forcing his aides to scramble to defend his remarks just as he had hoped to bask in convention accolades.

On the campaign trail in New Hampshire, Mr. Bush sought to emphasize the economy, but his comments on terrorism dominated national attention. In an interview on NBC-TV's "Today" show, Mr. Bush vowed to stay the course in the war on terror, saying perseverance in the battle would make the world safer for future generations. But he suggested an all-out victory against terrorism might not be possible.

Asked "Can we win?" Mr. Mr. Bush said, "I don't think you can win it. But I think you can create conditions so that the ? those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."

BUSH YESTERDAY:

And we have a plan to achieve victory [in Iraq]. Victory is a state -- a democracy that can sustain itself and defend itself and join America in fighting the war on terror. That's the goal of victory. That's the definition of victory.

REPORTS ON THE IRAQI ELECTION:

BAGHDAD, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Sick of bloodshed that has hit their economy and inflamed sectarian wounds, Iraqis held little hope on Monday that Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari could cure in his second term the ills he failed to heal in his first.

As prime minister, Jaafari angered the Sunni Arab minority by visiting Shi'ite Iran and describing ties between the old foes as "very friendly and strong and expanding".

Patrick Cockburn, Middle East Correspondent for the British newspaper The Independent:

Iraq is disintegrating. The first results from the parliamentary election last week show the country is dividing between Shia, Sunni and Kurdish regions. Religious fundamentalists now have the upper hand. The secular and nationalist candidate backed by the US and Britain was humiliatingly defeated. . . .

Islamic fundamentalist movements are ever more powerful in both the Sunni and Shia communities. Ghassan Attiyah, an Iraqi commentator, said: "In two and a half years Bush has succeeded in creating two new Talibans in Iraq." . . .

Iran will be pleased that the Shia religious parties which it has supported, have become the strongest political force. . . .

BUSH YESTERDAY:

Generally, people in a democracy don't campaign and say, vote for me, I promise you war. They say, vote for you -- vote for me, I work for the peace. I want your children to grow up in a peaceful world. That's what people say to get elected.

HOW THE GOP WON THE 2002 MID-TERM ELECTIONS:

To summarize: within the Bush administration, even before their first days in power, there had always been both the motive and the rationale to invade Iraq. The events of 9/11 worked to add a sense of urgency to this predisposition by offering both a window of opportunity and a stronger motive to make this confrontation seemingly inevitable. Yet there was a more compelling reason to talk about invading Iraq in the summer of 2002 than can be explained by these predilections alone. And sadly this had more to do with political strategy than it did with national security. . . .

Karl Rove's strategy to campaign on military issues, leaked reports about a possible invasion of Iraq from military sources, Bush's State of the Union speech citing an "axis of evil" and Bush's initial tough stand on Iraq before relenting and asking for Congressional consent on the brink of the midterm elections; are all dots that can be connected to show how impressive the forethought and planning of the Republican party's midterm campaign strategy actually was.

Going into the 2002 election cycle, no one would have thought that a war with Iraq would come to dominate the political dialogue. And yet the efforts of the Bush administration combined with media coverage worked to push this issue to the forefront.

So, to recap:

We're at war - we're not at war.

We will win the war on terror - the war on terror can't be won.

We're in Iraq in order to bring democracy there because the Government will help us fight the war on terror and that's how we'll have "victory" -- a Shiite theocratic party with close ties to Iran now controls the country.

Democracies never wage war because politicians can't promise war and win elections - Americans should vote for Republicans because they will start a war in Iraq and never stop waging that war.

There are links in the original post.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you're back in fine form, Jay. No, but I'm glad you're feeling better (even if that means I'm now totally depressed). I guess the part that worries me the most is the bizarre lack of concern among the population at large. That for the most part mainstream media seems ready to drop the ball and not pursue these blatant contradictions.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forget that the media is the governments little brother who follows Big Brother around like a lost puppy and does everything he says.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has the report that came out from the Human Rights Lawyers association (whatever it was they were actually called) about the hundred-odd deaths of Iraqi/Afghan detainees in US custody, at least 10 of which were directly down to torture, been covered in the US media at all?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.slate.com/id/2136422/
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Has the report that came out from the Human Rights Lawyers association (whatever it was they were actually called) about the hundred-odd deaths of Iraqi/Afghan detainees in US custody, at least 10 of which were directly down to torture, been covered in the US media at all?

No. And dont expect it to be either because the official line now is...that he recinded the use of controversial interrogation techniques for detainees at Guantanamo Bay in early 2003 because he had learned that Pentagon lawyers thought some of them were illegal and verged on torture.
quote:

"We didn't want to be doing something that people had concerns about in the department," Rumsfeld said at a Pentagon news conference.

So, as you can plainly read, Rumsfeld (that great civil rights advocate) put an end to all that potential "torture" nonsense over three years ago.

Nothing to see here- move along. Those prisoners died of natural causes.
Really.

Also of great hilarity (buried waaay in the back of the newspaper and not covered by CNN at all).
Whoops!
quote:
Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday that the Pentagon is reviewing its practice of paying to plant stories in the Iraqi news media, withdrawing his earlier claim that it had been stopped.

Rumsfeld told reporters he was mistaken in the earlier assertion.

Remember that- the administration does not lie to the public- it's only been caught "mistaken in the earlier assertion" several dozen times. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there is clear evidence that an Iraqi general got tied upw ith electrical cord, stuffed the wrong way into a sleeping bag and sat on by several US servicemen until he suffocated!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope- that must have been....er....
9/11!
9/11!
9/11!
9/11!

So, to sum it up, it was all because of 9/11.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Shiites now control the country. How much time until this government falls into civil war? Wait, it already has. Democracy doesn't work for everything, but it sure sounds good to us Americans, doesn't it?

Let's see. Are we going to stay until we're sure that women have the right to vote, and all people are equal (Trying to change a society that has been hard-coded that women have no social standing)? Are we going to but in if they have constant Civil Wars?

And how does this tie in with the War on Terror (The question I still have yet to find an answer for.)

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saiyanman Benjita:
So the Shiites now control the country. How much time until this government falls into civil war? Wait, it already has. Democracy doesn't work for everything, but it sure sounds good to us Americans, doesn't it?

Let us not forget that we ourselves, in the midst of our being a Democracy, had a horribly destructive civil war from 1861-65.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are we going to stay until we're sure that women have the right to vote..."

What, like the last country we liberated from Saddam Hussein...?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Shhhh! That was a resounding success!
Really, we could have given a fuck about Muslim women's rights back then...or "democracy building".
It was a good war.

Besides, it's not as though Afghanistan is even back to it's pre-Taliban levels of civil freedoms.

So: is this out chance to bug out of the country and avoid taking sides in a civil war?
Really, it's not as though we can get on either side's bandwagon for three reasons:
1.)Neither side wants to be "America's allies".
2.)We'd have to turn a blind eye to excesses of our new "ally" (including their acts of retaliatory terrorism).
3.) Any winning side would turn on us as soon as our usefulness was over and then we'd be back to square one, with the losers starting an all-new insurgentcy.

Call me paranoid, but I see Iran having something to do with this latest mosque bombing- it serves their purposes all too well....and they're not calling for an end to the violence by any means either.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Besides, it's not as though Afghanistan is even back to it's pre-Taliban levels of civil freedoms."

I can't quite tell if you were confused here, or just changing subjects slightly. You know I was talking about Kuwait, right?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I was just changing subjects- our american imperial subjects, that is. [Wink]

It's amazing how the administration flip-flops from "they have their own unique culture" to "we are promoting freedom and human rights" as is convienent when dealing with social reforms (or the lack thereof),

Bush this week made the funniest comment of his entire term in office this week- he said (of the port sale contraversy) "The American people dont need to worry about security at the ports"

Man, I almost fell out of my chair laughing!
His whole presidentcy has been based on playing off America's security fears, and now he's saying "dont worry about it"?

It's blowing up in his face nicely though. [Smile]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps