Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Grooming (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Grooming
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Sweaty Hispanics In Kansas, I've been made aware of this. Looks like they're starting to groom children. Discuss.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because as all Soviets know, one must be "Politically Correct"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I understand the leap from that survey to "Oh my god, they're grooming our children to be Parsons!" It doesn't say who exactly is responsible for the survey. For all we know, it could be research that a graduate psychology student is doing on comparable attitudes towards morality and politics across generations. I mean, I certainly got surveys like that to complete in high school, dropped on me in the middle of a lecture the subject of which had nothing to do with the survey.

I think the realization of Bush's domestic spying program and just plain suspicion of the Bush Administration is making some people overly eager to see phantoms where there are none. I'd be willing to bet that I probably filled out a similar survey at some time in high school, and that was during the Clinton Administration.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are those A's and D's doing there, on the right hand side of the paper? You can't grade opinions, there's no proofs section for universal justice.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the "correct" answers?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what happens if you fail this test? The SS comes to take you away?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pah, garbage.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lexa Sudani
Member # 1785

- posted      Profile for Lexa Sudani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting...

In one sense I have to agree with Siegfried in that without knowing who gave the survey/test and why, it's difficult to gauge the intent behind it.

However, with "answers" written off to the side, where a professor's comments are usually inserted, it does tend to lead one to believe that a student's perception of their environment is being graded or analyzed.

I suppose there always is the off chance that the answers to the side could also be a comparative of the 'national average' to the student's work.

It is all the little things like these that lead me to believe this country may be closer to a civil war than a world war. Especially when you take into account how many residents of Washington State act around election time, and all the discrepencies (sp?) during the last governor's election.

'Tis sad to think our opinions may become our downfall....but, I digress.

Go Colts! [Smile]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"She has a GPA of 3.75 and uses her brain." Well that's good. No more coma students is what I say!

What it looks like to me is that they went through the thing afterwards and gave the "correct" answers. Note the little hashmark next to each number the student got "wrong" like they were making a note of which ones they got incorrect, and then what the "right" answer was.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I certainly got surveys like that to complete in high school, dropped on me in the middle of a lecture the subject of which had nothing to do with the survey."

Were you required to fill those out, though? Because the first thing I'd do if someone shoved a form like that under my nose without explanation to check and grade my patriotism level would probably be to tear it in half.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That article doesn't give anywhere near enough information to reach conclusions as to the purpose of the survey. It certainly looks the kind of surveys that I've done for psychology or sociology students.

Also that website doesn't look to be an entirely neutral source.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Were you required to fill those out, though? Because the first thing I'd do if someone shoved a form like that under my nose without explanation to check and grade my patriotism level would probably be to tear it in half.

No, I was never required to complete one. The website isn't working at the moment, but I don't remember the article saying whether or not the student in question was forced to take it or not. Another thing that make me a little suspicious is that the student apparently got the survey, graded and all, back from whoever administered it. I've never heard of anyone taking a survey and then getting to walk away with the answer sheet, but I do suppose that it is possible.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this were some sort of tool of the administration, and if those letters on the left represented the "right" answers, I would be very surprised by some of them. Particularly the first and fourth ones.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waht if she just wrote "Fuck you" in each slot?
I'd like to see a student get expelled for something so obviously out of line.

Hmmm...I wonder how factual this is though: anyone get a link to a Washington newspaper covering the story?
I'd imagine it's news over there.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why?

Student thinks killing is no good, admin may think that it is good to kill for the 'right' reason. Who determines the right reason?

Student disagrees that absolute power corrupts absolutely, admin may think that it does. I do to, look at the current US Admin to see what a little bit of power does and how it corrupts a lot.

2 is screwed, well, not really, after all politicians would never go against the people...

6 is screwed, comprimise what ever for the state.

7 is screwed, although it does show that more indoctrination is required.

If all students answered in such a manner then the scholls would have to really crack down, if that is the admins thinking.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps