Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The death of net neutrality (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The death of net neutrality
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Why does Google have a "Chief Internet Evangelist"???

Because you can give yourself any ol' title you like.
If Elton John can become a Knight, this turkey can be the Chief Internet Evangelist.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe not turkey so much. I mean if I developed something as important as the TCP/IP protocols, I'd hope people might stop calling me turkey (I would, however, make an exception for jive-turkey).

My neighbor, who is sort of a conspiracy nut, has been blathering to me about Web 2.0 for a while. I make a point of ignoring him, but I guess this is a different name for this packet-prioritization. I always just assumed he was talking about a private internet and maybe an entirely separate protocol. As someone who (although not clearly) does remember the days of x,y, and zmodem, kermit, FidoNet, Opus, etc., I imagined something along those lines, but, like modern.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, yes, the old bbs days.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if satelite service would allow U.S. citizens to access the web via a U.K. ISP and bypass all this "teir" nonsense?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I see the Web 2.0 ("Look! Ajax! And stuff! How's about some venture capital?") connection.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'm not sure I ever really got the whole Web 2.0 thing. Like it seems to be "Things used to look dumber, and not be quite so dynamic. But now... they look fancy and are frequently more dynamic." Like why or how that constitutes a paradigm shift or version number update or whatever and not like a gradual evolution and migration as technologies and bandwidth improve is beyond me. But it's entirely possible I'm missing the point.

The Net Neutrality thing is a pretty technical consideration, maybe. And so after my rant about it over Father's Day dinner, my mother sent me a video from those fine, egalitarian, and completely divorced from Telco interests folks at HandOff.org. It's here if you want to see it: http://www.dontregulate.org/ . Anyway she wanted me to explain how it was a bad thing again.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... all bytes are equal, but some are now definitely more equal than others.

Motivations, you ask? Well, this shining piece of deep Republican thought explains why net neutrality would be Bad For Business. And when something is bad for business, it is bad for quality of $ervice, and we can't have that, can we?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, we can not have the shareholders or CEOs making less than anything near ungodly amounts of money.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why?

Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially."

Maybe it's really because your staff tried to send you AN ENTIRE INTERNET.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, Cartman and I are reading the same tube-feeds.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Beats feeding from the same tubes, I guess...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americablog links to this story about Senator Ted Stevens.

A little backround is in order, Senator Stevens is President Pro Tempore of the Senate and third in line in presidential succession, and more importantly for this issue, he is chair of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

Senator Stevens explained the internet in a speech.

quote:
There�s one company now you can sign up and you can get a movie delivered to your house daily by delivery service. Okay. And currently it comes to your house, it gets put in the mail box when you get home and you change your order but you pay for that, right.

But this service isn�t going to go through the internet and what you do is you just go to a place on the internet and you order your movie and guess what you can order ten of them delivered to you and the delivery charge is free.

Ten of them streaming across that internet and what happens to your own personal internet?

I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o�clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why?

Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially.

So you want to talk about the consumer? Let�s talk about you and me. We use this internet to communicate and we aren�t using it for commercial purposes.

We aren�t earning anything by going on that internet. Now I�m not saying you have to or you want to discriminate against those people

[�]

The regulatory approach is wrong. Your approach is regulatory in the sense that it says �No one can charge anyone for massively invading this world of the internet�. No, I�m not finished. I want people to understand my position, I�m not going to take a lot of time.

[�]

You�re asking now that to tell people who do have these systems that they can not ask that someone pay for the increased capability provided for what � for business. I don�t have to have that kind of speed they�re talking about, in terms of speeds that they�re going to put in the internet. But people who are streaming through 10, 12 movies at a time or a whole book at a time for� consumers� those are not you and me, those are not consumers, they�re the providers. And those people who provide these things and use the internet for a delivery service, rather than for a concept of communication, that�s the difference.

[�]

Here we have a situation where enormous entities want to use the Internet for their purposes to save money for doing what they�re doing now. They use FedEx, they use the delivery services, they use the mail. They deliver it in other ways and they want to deliver it vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It�s not a truck.

It�s a series of tubes.

And if you don�t understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

He was lucky to get it when he did, after all, sending an entire internet through the email will consume a lot of tubing.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No way was any mesage that was sent to him in any way affected by commercial uses of bandwidth (much less delayed for hours).
Morons probably typed in his street address and hit "send".

It looks like we'll be seeing the villification of online business- a first step in the taxing of internet use (specifically I mean- I alreday pay an extra .02 per dollat "telecommunication tax" on top of my phone and cable bills- as Florida once again leads the country in fucking over the adverage joe).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Well, it's shape helps a wee bit.

I can't find my last phone bill out, must have filed it already, but Illinois is no friend of the people, so I bet I pay a bit of politicians pay on it also.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps