Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » New education methods (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New education methods
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scholastic and ABC Team Up To Spread Misinformation About 9/11 To Students Nationwide

Would this fit in to the "Go Bush!!!1!!!" category?

This does cross a line for me, teach the kids the way things really happened without the politics. It is too bad that politics is almost a better money unit than the "In God We Trust" type.

Of course, we can always let the kids learn that communist China is a great place.....

I am trying to remember how we were steered 20-25 years ago in school. What fallacies were taught to me, other than there are nine planets in the solar system? I know that there are others I am just hoping I have become jaded eough to have unlearned them...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the big deal? Many textbooks, especially history textbooks, are biased in one way or another. They either lean to the left or the right, depending on the area, what the school board chooses as the ciriculum, and who teaches it. Though if its any cosolation, I'm pretty sure many students won't care.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I WANT to study Chinese language & culture...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coincidence that the target auidence would be ready to vote in the next presidential election, I'm sure.

As to it's accuracy- Clinton's administration surely does bear some of the responsibility for both ignoring Bin laden as a threat and in not responding to the USS Cole attack.
As is the (incoming) Bush administration.

But it's more impportant to remember that the onlt people responsible for the actual attacks were the terrorists themselves- anything else is armchair quarterbacking.
It's also important to remember that Bush's stated aim after 9/11: to bring the terrorists responsible to justice and to eliminate Al Queda have not been followed up on very well.

Not when we have to fuck off in Iraq anyway... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
But I WANT to study Chinese language & culture...

Meaning.... you want to read the take-out menu and hook up with Zhang Ziyi?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That, too.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...This has blown up nicely!

CNN's coverage of the ABC TV miniseries of this fantasy version of what happened is being disected at the top of each hour- some highlights:

Re-enactments of a CIA team being sent to eliminate Bin Laden after the embassay bombings (Clinton Administration) only to be recalled at the last minute by a Clinton official, just as the operatives literally have Bin Laden in their sights!
Of course, that never happened in any way- no operation ever existed, it was only proposed.
Another nuggett is a scene wherein Madylene Allbright warns the Pakistani PM about an incoming missile attack by the US- which gets to Bin laden somehow, allowing him to escape certain death.
In reality, Allbright called the PM after the missiles were allready in the air- there's no way it could have tipped off Bin Laden.

It's also noteworthy that ABC used only one member of the 9/11 commision as an "unpaid source" while not even asking the other (read: Democrats) members of the comission for their assistance.
Pretty shady. Why do I think the Republicans will be droppng a lot of money ABC's way?
...for ...er....advertizing, of course! [Wink]

Here's the direct article.

Sadly, only a token mention of the "scholastic" version of this "docudrama" was touched on.
It seems that the "scholastic" version is based on the docudrama.
That's a lot like teaching a WWII course based on events on the movie U-571.
Close enough to realiry for some...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a win-win situation: it airs unchanged, then everyone ends up thinking the Demoncrats caused 9/11. It airs changed, or not at all, and it's proof positive that the Liberal Media Elite are keeping the Truth from the American public.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

What's a few Repubican-inserted lies here and there when they have Harvey Kietel starring!?!

If only they could have cast Johnny Depp, ABC could have made a scene with Clinton ordering the 9/11 attacks and taking a payoff from Bin Laden...
Now that'd be entertainment!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
It's a win-win situation: it airs unchanged, then everyone ends up thinking the Demoncrats caused 9/11. It airs changed, or not at all, and it's proof positive that the Liberal Media Elite are keeping the Truth from the American public.

I believe the correct term is kobayashi maru.

I still don't see what the big deal is. ABC pulled a similar stunt with the bird flu. They had this atrocious movie which made it seem like we were all gonna die of bird flu. They're just pulling a page from the Yellow Journalism book. People will see through the bullshit in this movie like they saw through the bullshit in the bird-flu movie. So just relax,it's a free(er)nation, and they can say what they want even if it's dribble.

And Scholastic...well I recall an article in Consumer Reports which criticized them for putting not so hidden commercial messages in their children's magazine. I think the commercials were for Parkay Margarine.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big deal is that packaging political propaganda (not just slanted texts, but actual factual distortions, ie. LIES) as "educational material" and teaching it in any classroom in any free nation is a crime of falsifying history that should not ever be tolerated for any reason, and least of all because students "won't care" about not being told the truth.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

As to the Bird Flu movie, so many people called their doctors/bosses/hospitals after it aired that Fed-Ex printed a fact sheet on the "possible epidemic" for it's thousands of employees.
I heard UPS did the same. I fondy recall when we were all going to die from SARS....ah, those were the good ol' days...

Remember, something like 30% of Americans are still under the notion that Iraq was (somehow) behind the 9/11 attacks.

The masses are asses and they believe whatever they're told by their favorite celebrities.
(which explains how Arnold is running California)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the first part tonight. Enjoyed it. Good production values. Hasty disclaimer shoved in at the end. It'll probably con (-vince? -fuse?) a lot of people.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the lack of attention most students pay to their work at school, who will actually LEARN that anyway? Please, most kids today are Thermians.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Exactly what I said before. Alot just won't care or what give a real thought.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.