Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » New education methods (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New education methods
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday night, a kid came to the library where I work and used one of our computers to type a school paper about Iraq. It was three very short, very misspelled, very grammatically painful paragraphs. The first paragraph was just some poorly-worded information on the location of Iraq. The second paragraph, however, described how, on 9/11, the US was attacked by Iraq using three planes hijacked by three Iraqi pilots and sixteen other Iraqis. And that, because of this, George Bush had to invade Iraq.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN... that is fucking scary. And on so many levels.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double Post... please erase

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should probably point out that we don't normally spy on everything people do on our computers. But this kid left his document open in Word on the computer when he left, so I saw it when I went to close it down.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old was this boy?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least he (presumably) knew were Iraq was. Thats probably a step up from the average [Wink]
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next he'll do a report on how the Evil Americans committed the heinous crime of dropping nuclear weapons on an innocent Japanese population in an attempt at genocide.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

One can only hope Mucus... it's funny that as a US Immigrant, I know more about the history of the US and the "crazy details" like a general overview of how the government "works" and domestic and international geography. Maybe because I'm Asian/Pacific Islander...

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe because 85% of Americans wouldn't be able to pass a test to gain citizenship.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the horrible error in my last post is any indication, then yes.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wiz, you think 15% could, I am doubtful about that. Maybe 10%.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we can still hop the fence so what's the diff?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know the other day on the news they showed "the wall" they were supposedly building along the border. Looks like it was made by the same people the government is trying to keep out, illegal immigrants.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"How old was this boy?"

I'm not sure. I was thinking early teens, but there's no way he could have turned in a paper like that for a high school class. So, I'm thinking twelve or thirteen, perhaps?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a semi-related vein, I heard an article on NPR today about how studies show homework has a negligable positive effect at best on student performance, and causes far more domestic strife than it's worth. Educators are starting to look at alternative teaching methods.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps