Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Apocalyptic stereotyping (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Apocalyptic stereotyping
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'd take all the women too(save the depressed chick and the rascist) and the 12-year-old so that when she comes of age(18+) I can bone her too.

Edit: Oh yeah and I forgot, I'd bring T'Pol's orange jumpsuit too [Big Grin]

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly enough, from a gene pool point of view. You'd actually *want* many more women than men since you can have more children quicker when you finally get out. Plus a range of ages since age affects a woman's ability to have children more than a man.

The problem of course is that six people would be an absurdly small gene pool anyways (especially for the male Y chromosome no matter what the ratios are), so its kind of a moot point unless you assume that there are other shelters.

Another thing is that after a nuclear attack, "high" technology skills such as physics and possibly grad school depending on her field are less useful than low end skills.

So the rundown for me would be:

30yr. Hispanic female (healthy and female)
23yr. grad school student (female)
34yr. prostitute (hopefully she didn't contract anything)
the couple (26, 24) (young and hopefully it's not serious or genetic)
...and yeah, me I guess.

As for the rest, the violinist is too old and music s not a critical skill, the male architect is also kinda old (and you don't want someone adverse to procreating), the priest is way too old, the black activist would rock the boat (its a long wait in a Fallout shelter), physics probably won't be too useful, the doctor would rock the boat, low IQ is often genetic and not something you want in a drastically reduced gene pool, same with deafness.

On big question is whether you think surviving in a fallout bunker for a long time is a difficult job. If you think it is, stay away from people that rock the boat. If you think it isn't, focus on the people that will be most useful after the fallout.

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would first headsmash the guy who�s asking me about these people so I could use the shelter myself. Now, to look at the list (assuming, of course, that these things are all I know about the people):

quote:

[*]a 40yo male violinist who is a suspected drug dealer

No: Violinists are useless in a post-apocalyptic world, and drug dealers are losers.

quote:

[*]a 34yo male architect who is thought to be gay

Yes: Architectural skills mean this person should be useful. Homosexual people can still reproduce as well, so if he is actually gay, it is not a huge problem..

quote:

[*]a 26yo lawyer and the lawyer's 24yo wife who has just gotten out of a mental institution--they both insist to go in the shelter together or stay out together

No: Lawyers lack useful skills. Their addition would be a waste.

quote:

[*]a 75yo priest

No: This person is useless.

quote:

[*]a 34yo retired prostitute who was so successful that she's been living off her savings for five years

No, this person is useless and a loser.

quote:

[*]a 20yo "militant" black activist

No: Militant activists are almost always losers, and he has no useful skills.

quote:

[*]a 23yo graduate student who has had several bouts of depression throughout her life

Yes: Being a graduate student, this person has above-average intelligence, and may have additional useful skills depending on her field. The depression is a relatively minor problem in all likelihood.

quote:

[*]a 28yo physicist who will only come into the shelter if he can bring his gun with him

Hey, it�s future-me! I wonder what kind of gun I purchased? Maybe I shouldn�t have headsmashed that guy afterall! They probably misinterpreted my gun �suggestion� as �insistence�, though. At any rate, this person is in, since guns will be useful and physicists almost always have many useful skills. I would also try to secure additional guns of greater firepower.

quote:

[*]a 30yo female medical doctor who is a proud white supremacist

Yes: Her skills are too important to lose. The white supremacist part would have to be dealt with, though. If it can�t be eliminated, then this person will be watched carefully, and not be given educational assignments unless monitored.

quote:

[*]a 12yo girl who has a low IQ

Yes: though initially useless, she can be trained with useful skills and learn them more quickly because she is young. IQ is a rather poor indicator of intelligence, and I believe intelligence can be increased with excellent education.

quote:

[*]a male who has been deaf since birth

No: deaf people have fewer communication abilities making him less useful.

quote:

[*]a 30yo Hispanic female who is a healthy triathlete and an avowed atheist

Yes: though athletes tend not to have any useful skills, her physical stamina might make her useful as a scout after the bunker is opened.

As a side note and public service [Cool] , I would like to point out the even in a full scale nuclear war at the height of the cold war, only about half the population of the U.S. and the world would have been eliminated. The shows that portray the extinction of the human race are entirely mythological.

Another note: this doesn�t seem to be a very well-made survey. Each person should only have one attribute, so as to not muddle conclusions.

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why it's a PSYCHOLOGICAL STUDY.

...What defines a "loser?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the blind and blistering/skin-less agony of fiery nuclear apocalypse. And, I would say as a psychological study, it is sucessfully provoking some very colorful answers.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Homosexual people can still reproduce as well, so if he is actually gay, it is not a huge problem.."

Obviously, they have the physical capacity, barring any unrelated problems. However, what are you going to do, get some woman to rape him?

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
That's why it's a PSYCHOLOGICAL STUDY.

...What defines a "loser?"

Isn't the whole point of the test to see whether people think certain characters should be put in a bunker with only limited room? Should I just leave it at "social 'scientists' work in mysterious ways"? [Big Grin]

As for the definition of loser in this case, I don't see the need to get too technical with my definitons. However, in this case, I would conservatively say that a loser would be someone who is not useful in my opinion.

--------------------

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Homosexual people can still reproduce as well, so if he is actually gay, it is not a huge problem.."

Obviously, they have the physical capacity, barring any unrelated problems. However, what are you going to do, get some woman to rape him?

Well, if he wants to reproduce with proper knowledge of the situation, then he can. If not, that's fine. The same would go for anyone in the bunker. It is not as though six people are essential for the gene pool when even in a worst-case scenario several billion people will be left.
I chose my characters based on having the most prosperous post-apocolyptic community, not on trying to repopulate the planet.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a TEST, Bubba. It's a STUDY. Big difference.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Every option I brought up that would keep everyone he made up a reason why I couldn't i.e. "lifeboat is too small, none of them can swim, can't use my swiss army knife" etc. (Yes I ALWAYS have my good ol' knife with me ). This teacher would not be satisfied unless I made 6 people walk the plank. For the record, I got an "F" on this project and couldn't be more proud of it.

That is really bad teaching. As long as you can justify your answer - you should be awarded for thinking outside the box. As long as you weren't just being a smart-arse.
Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

Yes, and the entire study is based on what people's answers are. People base their answers on the characters traits, so they are essentially ranking traits for a certain purpose. In order to properly determine how each trait is ranked, they need to be considered individually, and only later be mixed for comparitive purposes. The end result would hopefully be an average numerical value for each trait, or even a formula capable of handling mixes of different traits, but one can't obtain these things from the study's current format.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would sneak into the college and re-program the test so it becomes possible to win.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheater.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I would sneak into the college and re-program the test so it becomes possible to win.

Thus dooming your best friend to die of radiation posioning- some pal you are.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tell the teacher to wait outside while I and my fellow classmates went into the bunker to debate and then press that glowy red button.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps