Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Apocalyptic stereotyping (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Apocalyptic stereotyping
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go to the top of the allest available building and enbrace armageddon with open arms and a bottle of Jack Daniels.
Ideally, I'd stand in front of a white wall and make a lewd gesture- that way, my ashes would be seared into stone for future generations of radiation-addled people to admire.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to sign your name in urine.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I give my answers, I believe that there are people, despite their deep rooted beliefs, that given a "do or die" scenario can solidify even the most divisive of unions. Known examples are when one of my three housemates always left a big mess of things in the kitchen. Of course this is given that they don't kill each other first.

"a 40yo male violinist who is a suspected drug dealer"

Not him. Despite the fact that we do not know what ethnicity he is in, he is past his prime and we don't really need a violinist in the immediate aftermath. The fact that he is a suspected drug dealer is irrelevant, innocent before proven guilty, even though we don't know the extent of his internal damage through his use of drugs, if he used them of course.

"a 34yo male architect who is thought to be gay"

Yes, an architect would be useful, not to mention that he is probably in good physical form. The fact that he is thought to be gay is irrelevant as with the suspected drug dealer. But even if he was, I'm pretty sure that he can understand the situation that reproduction may be necessary to assist in repopulating the country. We also don't know his ethnicity, it would help in this situation.

Here's an interesting counterpoint provided by a coworker: most anti-gay activists believe that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. But the gay activist would claim that is the way their brain is set, as if their mind was "wired" this way. But given this argument, the anti-gay activist would say that the architect would therefore be an obviously poor choice, if what the gay activist says is true, therefore this is due to genetics, and obviously should be excluded to prevent the "gay" gene to pollute the remaining gene pool. Of course if homosexuality WAS a lifestyle choice, then they should rot in hell, like they all say.

"a 26yo lawyer and the lawyer's 24yo wife who has just gotten out of a mental institution--they both insist to go in the shelter together or stay out together"

The wife is an obvious non-candidate. What is the source of her mental instability? While most of it is psychological, there are some mental diseases caused by genetic issues. There really isn't that much time to decide on this so she will have to go. Of course this means that the lawyer can't go too. Who needs lawyers anyway?

Again, we don't know the ethnicity of these two people.

"a 75yo priest"

Too Old.

"a 34yo retired prostitute who was so successful that she's been living off her savings for five years"

In the event of armageddon, we don't need any more diseases flying around. Nope.

"a 20yo "militant" black activist"

I agree with the previous respondants saying that diversity of the gene pool is preferred. But we don't know the ethnicity of the other people. If the architect is also black, then we really shouldn't need this person to rock the boat. I'm assuming that the architect is not black but maybe of another ethnicity. This person is also in their prime as well, so their physical abilities will be useful in a post apocalyptic world. Like the others, we really don't know if it is a male of female. Bonus points if this person is a she, after all, a woman's mind is more adaptable to the situation than the male (so I think). As for militancy, see my comment earlier about a certain situation unifying even the most divisive of unions.

"a 23yo graduate student who has had several bouts of depression throughout her life"

I've had bouts of depression too. Mostly due to things in my life not going the right way. But I'm fine now. I am also of the belief that depression is mostly psychological rather than genetic. So she's in.

"a 28yo physicist who will only come into the shelter if he can bring his gun with him"

Why does he need a gun? Cramming six people in a confined space is a test of psychological wills. Obviously this guy is unstable and we don't need to add an element of instability in an already unstable situation. And really, do physics matter in the post apocalyptic world? No. He stays out.

"a 30yo female medical doctor who is a proud white supremacist"

Her medical skills are obviously useful. But her attitude isn't. Hopefully, like the black activist, we can try to address that right away. And since she is also female, then it might be easier to tweak her mind. I'll say that she is in. I don't think she'll walk out, given the choice of life or death, most females would choose life, while most men would not.

"a 12yo girl who has a low IQ"

I don't think IQ would really matter in a post apocalyptic world. It's more of the survival of the fittest and given that she is young, she would have a better chance of adapting to her surroundings. Plus she's female, so wait another 8 years before she can bear children. She's in.

"a male who has been deaf since birth"

Unfortunately communication is key in the post-apocalyptic world, so since this may be an issue, he cannot go.

"a 30yo Hispanic female who is a healthy triathlete and an avowed atheist"

Healthy, hispanic, female. Perfect. Atheism is not an issue here since we have no priest, and in a post apocalyptic world, would anyone believe in a "God"?

So in summary, the choices are:

the 34yo male architect who is thought to be gay
the 20yo "militant" black activist
the 23yo graduate student who has had several bouts of depression throughout her life
the 30yo female medical doctor who is a proud white supremacist
the 12yo girl who has a low IQ
the 30yo Hispanic female who is a healthy triathlete and an avowed atheist

Suppose one or some of these people don't want to go in. Who takes their place? Here is my "waiting list"

- the 26yo lawyer and the lawyer's 24yo wife who has just gotten out of a mental institution--they both insist to go in the shelter together or stay out together (this is provided two people bail).
- the 28yo physicist who will only come into the shelter if he can bring his gun with him (like the others said, his brain may be useful, just make sure the gun is not loaded and someone else has the ammo)
- Tie between the drug dealer violinist (we don't know the exact damage to his health due to drug use) and the prostitute (we don't know the exact state of her health, hopefully she has been practising "safe sex")

Therefore, the priest and the mute person will most likely burn.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
I've had bouts of depression too. Mostly due to things in my life not going the right way. But I'm fine now. I am also of the belief that depression is mostly psychological rather than genetic. So she's in.

Actually, it can be either psychological or genetic. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression resulting from a neuro-chemical imbalance (to borrow Treknobabble), as has my father. His father probably has/had it as well, based on my dad's observations of family life growing up. And one of my uncles committed suicide a number of years ago. So there's definitely a hereditary element there.

However, I'm firmly of the opinion that most forms of depression, even if they're hereditary, are absolutely possible to overcome... but it requires, at least, some moral support from others. Drugs help too, of course�when available.

I'm just saying this to give the evidence, not to divert the discussion. I just want to counter the misconception that it's purely psychological. Often, it's very definitely biological as well.
quote:
Obviously this guy is unstable and we don't need to add an element of instability in an already unstable situation.
Shouldn't that be "introducing an unstable element into a critical situation"? [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps