Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Mr. Rumsfeld Resigns (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mr. Rumsfeld Resigns
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh so we should just pig out, cause if that's the case this country is already way ahead of you. I don't know what you mean by the culture, since it changes more than I change underwear.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I say "culture," I do not mean America or Britain, or Russia, or China or the Islamic world or Judaism or New Yorkers or Sydneyites or Berliners. I mean ALL of them. It's ALL ONE SINGLE CULTURE. It's all based on the same ideas, the same concepts. That is why I can move from New York to Brussels, or Shanghai to Kinshasa, or Lahore to Reykjavik. It's all the same. Yes, there are small local variances, but the operating principles are all the same.

By contrast, a Bushman cannot up & move to Nunavut to become an Inuit. An Alawa member in Australia cannot become a Yakut, & a Kreen-Akrore cannot become a Amazonas.

Ponder upon that, & the reasons for it. Then we shall talk.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So your complaint is that food is a limited quantity and those that have it want something in exchange for it?

Also, woo for Dems in da House. If nothing else, they can slow Bush down in the damage he wants to do.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...putz. I have not given the whole picture, only a slight sliver. It's called "maiuetic teaching."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah! An Omega siting.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Omega is getting thin on the ground these days. Something about a life with grad school and a girlfriend, I think.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmhmm. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To address the actual topic (the what, now?), I don't think Rumsfeld's resignation has anything to do with the realization that many voters were unhappy with the war. Everyone already knew the public was fed up, and the administration didn't care. I suspect Rumsfeld already planned to quit sometime before 2009, and, once they realized the Democrats were winning the Senate, they decided he'd better leave now so they can squeeze his successor's confirmation in before January.

Also, I've just discovered that Firefox 2 does inline spell checking on things you type into textareas. Neat.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope we don't end up electing a President and First Husband from Arkansas named "Hill" & "Billy"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
No...putz. I have not given the whole picture, only a slight sliver. It's called "maiuetic teaching."

Riiight.
Are you prahaps referring to Maieutic teaching?
If so, you should go back and read up on it a bit more. Your'e about as far removed from Socratic teaching as imaginable.

So...I'm going to take a guess and say you did not vote- either because of laziness, apathy or legal restrictions- and are venting your frustration.
Anyone can see that removing a large piece of the problems of this country (and in turn several others now) is a good thing and worthy of some "Wooo!".

As to Rummy, I love how his final speach before being resigned was to call Americans dumb with his "Americans cant understand the war" rant.
Beat it pal.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik:
quote:
When I say "culture," I do not mean America or Britain, or Russia, or China or the Islamic world or Judaism or New Yorkers or Sydneyites or Berliners. I mean ALL of them. It's ALL ONE SINGLE CULTURE. It's all based on the same ideas, the same concepts. That is why I can move from New York to Brussels, or Shanghai to Kinshasa, or Lahore to Reykjavik. It's all the same. Yes, there are small local variances, but the operating principles are all the same.

By contrast, a Bushman cannot up & move to Nunavut to become an Inuit. An Alawa member in Australia cannot become a Yakut, & a Kreen-Akrore cannot become a Amazonas.

Ponder upon that, & the reasons for it. Then we shall talk.

You have come very far, Mr Bond. Ze trouble is zat zis is not a frat party and vee are not drunken chicks.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if we didn't belong to the same global culture, we wouldn't be here talking to each other now would we?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People should appreciate bacteria...for many among us it is the only culture they will ever have.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what if the frogurt is cursed? What about the cultures then?

THINK OF THE CULTURES!!!!!

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"[W]e can�t judge other cultures....we learned that from Star Trek."
- Stephen Colbert, The Daily Show

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps