Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Virginia Tech Shootings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Virginia Tech Shootings
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more reason to hate that shooter:
Professor "Star Trek" pushed students to achieve.

Huh.

quote:
While most students could find him in his office, working past midnight, unraveling the puzzles of how water travels around the globe, he understood that the mind needed rest. In those moments, he stole away to watch one of his favorite "Star Trek" movies
It's little thinks like this that make you really understand that the victims were just like us or anyone else- not just nameless victims for the news to babble on about.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I could rant about this one for ages.

It feels like the only thing more screwed up than the media's handling of the entire event was the event itself.

The handling of the video "manifesto" was hilariously horrid. Am I the only one on the planet that wasn't offended by the fact that NBC wanted to play it? The bastard is dead, there is no possible further benefit that he could obtain from it. How in the world is showing this one example of the utterly screwed up nature of his mind in any way demeaning or disrespectful to the victims and their families?

And don't get me started on the idiocy of Jack Thompson and Dr Phil. Seriously, it's fantastic to see them blame video games off the bat when they later found that, shockingly, the shooter had none. Zero, nada, zilch. I'm not gonna be holding my breath for retractions.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drive-by media has already set the precident with the Katrina reporting. Thousands of body bags? Toxic soup? Wonder if they'll give themselves pulitzers this time around too.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely, yes.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont forget the stadium full of bodies and the sharks and alligators in the river eating corpses.
Or the cops shooting unarmed people in the back on that bridge for kicks...

oh wait, that really happened.

The Sun Sentinel rean some brief bios on some of the victims today- a tough read (of course highlighting only the positive aspects of their gleaming future, but still).

Nothing says "gun law reform" like a foreign visitor with a seriously spotty mental history legally buying two guns and killing 31 people.

Not gonna happen as long as the NRA is a major Republican contributor.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already had this argument elsewhere, but I don't think gun control would have stopped him from getting access. The guy was f'ing nuts, and everyone around him knew it. Why wasn't he dealt with earlier?

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll again cite Japan's gun control laws and how they have essentially no gun crimes.

Also, the media gets a LITTLE credit for having stopped plastering the coward's face all over the freaking planet, and for almost uniformly moving to tributes to the victims themselves. Too late, and it wasn't even their idea (it was at the urging of the students, families and faculty) but even a little bit counts.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll then cite Japanese culture & its base inclination not to have events of this sort regardless of control laws.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they just kill themselves in droves because their 20's didn't work out the way they'd hoped.

I'm worried that this guy's "success" story will do for school shootings what "Jaws" did for shark fishing.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I don't think gun control would have stopped him from getting access."

Well, of course not. Illegal guns are everywhere. But there's no reason to say "well, we'll never get rid of all the guns, so we may as well barely try".

I think a "no sanity, no firearms" policy ought to be a no-brainer, but evidently not.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. There's billions of dollars being poured into the war on drugs, for example.

Anyway, why not start up another thread on gun control. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I'm worried that this guy's "success" story will do for school shootings what "Jaws" did for shark fishing.

That's a scary thought.

You know what really makes me sick about all this? The fact that somewhere in this world, there are people who are happy that this happened. Just thinking about it makes me physically ill. And now I'm just watching the news coverage of the shooting at the Johnson space center. WTF is going on with the world?

As for the issue of Gun control, Cho bought that Walther P22, and the Glock 19 perfectly legally. Those two particular models aren't against the law to own. (as far as I know) Why he filed the serial number off is a mystery to me. It's not like it would have made much difference one way or another.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think a "no sanity, no firearms" policy ought to be a no-brainer, but evidently not.
It wouldn't have helped in this case. When he was released, the doctors gave him a clean bill of mental health in regards to having disorders and the like. Depressed? Yup. Disturbed? Yup. Mentally ill? Not by the book.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only are Thompson and Phil on it, but Fred Phelps is too. Here's hoping they have the grace to stay the fuck away from the funerals.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Keep hoping.
That ass, Dr. Phil allready is blaming the old scapegoats of TV and video games....
Except those that knew him say Cho never liked games and rarely got into TV.
He liked poetry and wrote it (poorly).

Maybe it's a good thing idiots like Dr. Phil dont know that: we dont need them telling everyone to watch out for the kid reading Frost or Wordsworth.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps