Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Topic About Gun Control. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: A Topic About Gun Control.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Surely it'd be outrageous to learn that the people blocking gun control laws are the gun manufacturers that sell the guns that kill people? Surely the gun manufacturers dont contribute millions to the NRA for such loving support and protection?"

Now, I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I don't think that's the reason I don't find this surprising at all. It seems entirely logical. The firearms industry makes money by producing and selling a product. They're going to give money to a large influential group that's trying to make sure their industry remains viable. That's entirely expected.

The problem isn't that they want to continue making a profit by making it easy to kill people. It's that they wanted to start doing so in the first place.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well companies like Colt started as US army suppliers, but also sold to the adverage homesteader or whatever- then there was a real need to carry a gun.
Other companies got involved to build a better mousetrap and because building killing machines is so damn profitable.

Today we have police, businesses have security guards and states have the National Guard, not to mention armed goons like the FBI, ATF and KFC.

People generally enjoy the thought that they can kill someone at will without all that kung-fu movie stuff that takes so long.
Besides, it's as easy as changing the channel- just a touch of a finger and someone goes away forever- the ultimate personal spam blocker.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was interesting that we have a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Like "Here's a bunch of things we know are really bad for us, but we love them anyway."
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And nuclear bombs. After all, they're "arms".
I've always wondered about that. Nobody complains about the nuclear-weapon-control laws. [Smile] Actually, are there any? Is it illegal for a private citizen to possess a nuclear weapon?

quote:
I think it was Toby Ziegler in a later West Wing episode that pointed out that the second part is predicated on the "well regulated militia" bit.
It is predicated on that in the sense that it's a stated reason for the amendment to exist. It is NOT predicated on it in the sense of a legal requirement. At least not as the language of the amendment is written.

There are legitimate uses for handguns. They can't be eliminated entirely, because self defense really is a legitimate use for them. But gun control of some form needs to be made legal, and it needs to be enforced.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
I always thought it was interesting that we have a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Like "Here's a bunch of things we know are really bad for us, but we love them anyway."

There's a bureau for them to endure the government is being paid for their use- via permits and taxes mainly- protecting the public's wellfare is secondary.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is it illegal for a private citizen to possess a nuclear weapon?"

At the very least, I expect it is illegal to possess the requisite radioactive materials without a permit. Maybe that's the answer to gun control. Make all guns legal, but make gunpowder a controlled substance.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That might be hard, seeing as anyone can go to the library, or look it up on wikipedia, and research how to make it themselves.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, try enriching uranium isotope though- a hazardous and restricted material to say the least, not to mention the materials needed for an implosive device even the strength of the first A-Bomb.

Sadly, there's plenty of readily available, legal materials that can be purchased and made into conventional bombs.
(Just ask the Right To Life organization)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there's no way of preventing people from making home made gunpowder, it is after all a medievil invention. You may as well try to control slingshots and flints.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are legitimate uses for handguns. They can't be eliminated entirely, because self defense really is a legitimate use for them.
Rubbish. In the UK "self defence" has not been considered a good reason to want ot own a gun for 61 years. As in since the second world war.

You need to prove that you need it either for work, or sport. On top of that you need to name two people of "good charicter", who may be interviewed by the police, you need a your doctor to OK the application. You need to have a gun cabenet installed and inspected by the police, and then you have a face to face interview with police firearms officers. Next, Special Branch carry out a through background check. Then you can get a gun.

After this you need to renew your licence periodicaly, and each time you do this you need to have the police come and look at your gun cabenet to make sure it's safe. The police can also issue furthur conditions, to which you must comply or forfit the licence and firearms.

That said, you can get a mac10 off the high street in Brixton for a monkey, and circumvent these rules, but the penalty for possesion of an unlicenced (and therefor illegal) fire arm is five years mandatory at Her Maj's pleasure and an unlimited fine.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UK is not the US. If you can survive without anyone needing a gun for self defense, good for you. But all it takes is one story of a woman alone in her house when two men try to break in and rape her to make you reconsider that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, most UK police don't even carry firearms, and I'm pretty sure that people break in to womens houses to rape them in other countries too. I don't understand the position that the US is somehow in a special place that justifies its average citizens to need guns, where so many other countries just as advanced have made great strides in legal and cultural reformation so that they don't.

BTW, I watched "Hot Fuzz" on the weekend, and I think I'm okay to pick up a prop gun again. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have much of an interest in guns. Don't think they're really necessary unless its to hunt. In which case, a rifle does a fine job. Take an automatic weapon to game and, well, there's not much left. [Wink]

That being said, it may be necessary in the future for me to get the appropriate licenses/certifications to own/use a firearm given my career choice. You cannot work for the Yukon, Northwest Territories or Nunavut Geological Surveys unless you have a firearms license.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is true. However, this does not REQUIRE you to own a gun. It's just so you can use a rifle int he event you need to when you're attacked by the polar bears.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Oddly enough, most UK police don't even carry firearms, and I'm pretty sure that people break in to womens houses to rape them in other countries too. I don't understand the position that the US is somehow in a special place that justifies its average citizens to need guns, where so many other countries just as advanced have made great strides in legal and cultural reformation so that they don't.

BTW, I watched "Hot Fuzz" on the weekend, and I think I'm okay to pick up a prop gun again. [Smile]

Mark

Mate, have you ever actually met any coppers, or even ex-coppers? Seriously, based on the ones I've run into (not while being arrested mind you!) I wouldn't trust most of those muppets with a cap gun, never mind a lethal weapon. But then I have a similar opinion of squaddies and they get to play with tanks and explosives.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.