Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Topic About Gun Control. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: A Topic About Gun Control.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
The UK is not the US. If you can survive without anyone needing a gun for self defense, good for you. But all it takes is one story of a woman alone in her house when two men try to break in and rape her to make you reconsider that.

Because that never happens in the UK.

No logic to that statement mate [Smile]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the popularity of firearms in this country is how the media hypes every horrible situation (regardless of how rare or unprecedented) into a "It could happen to you or your defenseless kids" special followed by a "Would you know how to react in case of a TERRORIST ATTACK!?!" special "must see television event".

I bet the gun makers made a pretty penny after 9/11- the more scared people are, the greater their political-power base.

Much like their pals, the Republicans. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our founding fathers didn't trust an all-powerful government. That's why they included the 2nd amendment. The right to bear arms is the check on a potentially oppressive government. While we do have the right to protect ourselves from possible harm from others, we also have the right to protect ourselves from our government.

And I still say that for a society that can potentially have a gun in every citizen's hands, murders and massacres are for the most part a rare thing. Unless you live in Philadelphia, that is.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being funny mate, but do you have the figures to back up that statement?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the funny thing about the Constitution. It was amended to allow citizens to bear arms and for man organized militia to take down the government that is deemed corrupt or isn't ruling properly, etc etc as that's what they had to do to form the US in the first place.

These days, if someone attempts the same, they're labelled a nutjob and killed. So, if attempts to bring down the government and replace it with a better one is such a bad thing nowadays, what's the point of being able to bear arms and form an organized militia?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People, it all boils down to responsibility. Is the government responsible for gun control? Yes, there should be some safegaurd in place that requires people to get a license to own a gun. Much the same as your driver's license. Take a quick course and pass some tests, and only then can you buy a gun. Shooter's Ed would help to create a bit of responsibility in those people the same way a Driver's Ed couse would.

The responsibility also rests on the gun owner as well. Hopefully they take a gun course to educate themselves on the proper handling of a firearm. Maybe even create a trained citizens militia.

There are circumstances where having a gun, even unloaded, can save your life. Burglery, armed robbery, home invasions, etc. I don't know what the law in the states is, but in Canada if there's someone in your home and you fear for your life, (ie: he was a gun or knife or is otherwise trying to kill you) you won't be held accountable for killing him. Inversely if the robber hurt himself breaking into your home, he can sue you for thousands of dollars.

I'm going to skip the rest of the legitimate uses of guns because they've already been discussed.

There are people who like guns for several reasons, including target shooting, trick shooting, skeet shooting. There are some who like them for aesthetic purposes, or for historical value. For them, there are replica guns, and I'm not talking about deactivated originals. These are non-firing near exact replica's. And I say near, because the chamber and barrel won't fire a live round. It won't even accept a round due to minute changes in them. The replica won't accept a chamber or any other critical parts from a real gun either.

I, myself am a gun enthusiast. I know that's kind of a faux pas thing to say in these times. But I'm one of those people who like guns for historical reasons. I would love to have a Mauser C96, MP40, M1 Garand, or Sten MkV. Of course I'd also like to have a P-38J, but what are the chances of that?

Guns have been around for so long that they've become a part of our culture really. I don't think they, in and of themselves are bad. It's the people who use them for irresponsible and selfish reasons. Guns are a tool, whose purpose happens to be the ending of another creatures existence. But like all tools there is a time, a place, and a safe way of using it. And that's what people need to learn. I plan to buy a gun someday, and get a hunting liscense. So I'm going to take a gun safety course at the same time.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Not being funny mate, but do you have the figures to back up that statement?

You want figures for a subjective statement?

Okay...
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/offenses/violent_crime/murder_homicide.html

Says "An estimated 16,692 persons were murdered nationwide in 2005," and I'm using 2005 because the site said 2006 was "preliminary."

That's one murder per 17973 people per year. That's seems pretty rare to me.

edit: These numbers are for murders total. I couldn't find numbers for murders by guns, but it's obviously less than the above.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15304

quote:
Since Australia banned private ownership of most guns in 1996, crime has risen dramatically on that continent, prompting critics of U.S. gun control efforts to issue new warnings of what life in America could be like if Congress ever bans firearms.

After Australian lawmakers passed widespread gun bans, owners were forced to surrender about 650,000 weapons, which were later slated for destruction, according to statistics from the Australian Sporting Shooters Association.

The bans were not limited to so-called "assault" weapons or military-type firearms, but also to .22 rifles and shotguns. The effort cost the Australian government about $500 million, said association representative Keith Tidswell.

Though lawmakers responsible for passing the ban promised a safer country, the nation's crime statistics tell a different story:

* Countrywide, homicides are up 3.2 percent;

* Assaults are up 8.6 percent;

* Amazingly, armed robberies have climbed nearly 45 percent;

* In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed 300 percent;

* In the 25 years before the gun bans, crime in Australia had been dropping steadily;

* There has been a reported "dramatic increase" in home burglaries and assaults on the elderly.

And HERE is some decent reporting on the Hitler/gun control stuff.

I have law enforcement members that are in my family and friends. (yes I know, its hard to believe I have friends) And what they've said to me is that in general the police are there to come take your report after a robbery so you can file a claim against your insurance. For the most part it is UNLIKELY that you will be able to summon law enforcement or have an officer that will be able to respond to an incident until well after the danger has passed. The public needs to be able to respond themselves to the situation, whether it is to submit and surrender in hopes of hastening a robber's departure or in defending yourself against an attacker. Yes an officer is putting his life on the line everyday he puts on the uniform, but they simply cannot be everywhere protecting everyone every minute. And when they can't get there in time, they get blamed for something they have NO control over.

The problem is that the public has had it ingrained into them to not resist, just do what the criminal wants to get him away from you as quickly as possible. That has only served to embolden the criminal element. Now that they know the average person will not put up a fight, their consideration has become having a witness that might testify against them if they do get caught. Face it, CSI isn't going to happen in most cases like they show it on TV so the only real threat is someone fingering the criminal. That makes a pretty good incentive to eliminate the threat. What the public needs to do is FIGHT BACK when attacked. Then the Judicial System needs to strike HARD for those who would perpetrate violent crime. Only then will we have less crime.

End rant.

Now excepting all incoming flames.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Point. I don't have a problem with legal guns, just with illegal gun and gun nuts who think that everyones out to take their precious guns.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, those figures represent homicides, but leave out the robberies, ahootings, crippelings and of course loss of monetary concerns (be it through theft or time out of work to recover).

The toll for gun is far greater than you allude to.
Example.
quote:
The number of gunshot wounds from assaults treated in hospital emergency departments fell from 64,100 in 1993 to 39,400 in 1997, a 39% decline.

Well, I guess guns are okay after all! It's waaay "down" to only 39,400 gun victims as of '97. [Wink]

Really, I think it's time we, as a species grew the fuck up and realise that a killing machine is not "cool" and to own one bcecuse you think it is is assinine.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Living in peace" is antithetical to the laws of ecology. Erratic Retaliator demands that a strike must be made or received from time to time.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A lazy man's answer- so easy to simply accept that people wil be violent and that umans are capable of nothing better than to wallow in their base instincts.

Only when we demand a higher stndard of our peers and ourselves will things really improve.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There IS no "higher standard." And you fail to understand what I'm getting at. Which is partly my own fault: I'm not there to teach you.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Riight- go live in a cave then: after all, that's the stagnant attitude you've adopted.
Everyone wants the bright shiney future of Star Trek, but no one wants to really work towards it.

It's soo much easier to take the selfish approach and declare the world and everyone in it a lost cause by blaming it on our supposed violent nature.

I hereby sentence you to go live in a Tibetan monastary untill you learn your lesson- in celibacy!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Member # 343

Again, you fail to understand, but again, that is because I have not taught you.

I am far from being stagnant, or not working towards anything, or oversimplifying anything.

Also, the threat of celibacy doesn't work on me.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps