Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The RIGHT way to do things......

Author Topic: The RIGHT way to do things......
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo to Miami......

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=3096547&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good case could be made for some sort of required parolee housing. Does such a thing not exist?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry but I find that appalling, bordering on cruel and unusual. Granted they're nutty sickos. I had a friend who had to live under an overpass because she was without a place to stay for a few months. And I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Regardless of what they've done, or if they deserve it or not.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a thing does not exist, Omega. Indeed, many areas set a timeline on how soon you must have a permanent residence or you end up violating.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. It makes perfect sense to me to prevent these people from living near children. But when that basically makes it illegal for them to live anywhere, that's wrong. If they can't live on their own, there should be controlled housing provided for them. Like jail, but with somewhat more freedom of movement.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This catches on, the world changes, my children watch Shrek and get very confused. Except he don't live under no bridges. Still, trolls.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Like jail, but with somewhat more freedom of movement.

Then why let them out?

I'd also like to note that, uh, I'm pretty much the only one here who's even experienced jail & the "correctional" system for a significant amount of time. I would submit that perhaps you should try it first before calmly tossing off such statements.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As has been pointed out, this is stupid. But, to address something else from the story : Dude got only ten months for three sexual assaults against children? That seems a bit odd.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend in Georgia that was convicted as a sex offender, and he was sent to some sort of correctional institute. He went out to work during the day, but he had to come back there every night until his sentence was up. Of course now he's in the same situation - can't live near certain areas, but he's in a slightly rural area, so it's not hard to find somewhere to live. And his only restriction is he can't leave the state.

The people in Miami ought to be able to at least leave the county. But seeing as they still have to wear a tracker, I don't know enough about everything that's going on there.

Omega
Member # 91

quote:
I'd also like to note that, uh, I'm pretty much the only one here who's even experienced jail & the "correctional" system for a significant amount of time. I would submit that perhaps you should try it first before calmly tossing off such statements.
So only convicted sex offenders can comment on the proper treatment of other convicted sex offenders? Absurd.

Sounds like GA has the idea. Jail isn't the appropriate punishment all the time for everything. People seem to think that once your jail sentence is over your punishment is over. The two are not equivalent.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

No, Schmucky the Clown, I'm saying that those who calmly toss off jail sentences for things, or propose jail-like alrtenatives, should be aware of what they;'re saying. The other day, I told a waiutress at work gradutating with a degree in criminal justice that she should go to jail. She was aghast & said, "Well, I visited one..." Not the same. Every person should have the experience of being picked up, left in a holding tank for 15 hours, processed, medically probed, assigned a cell, & living in that environment for 2 weeks. This is akin to Jubal Early's "you oughta be shot" statement.

Also, that BJ's friends had was work release. I'm a little surprised that he was able to get it, but it might be because of the area & the nature of the offense. I was recommended for it by the judge (always a good thing) but denied due to (primarily) the nature of my offense involving a minor & (most likely as well) it being a densely-populated area & the girl living near by. work release can be both a blessing & a curse; they were always looking for ways you screwed up so they could toss you back in genpop. If the bus runs late & you're late getting back..that happened a lot.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps