Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » One Down, Two to go (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: One Down, Two to go
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, forgot about Phelps. Title should have been "One Down, Three To Go".

But Phelps seems too extreme to the point that I don't think Robertson, Limbaugh, nor Falwell wanted to associate with him in the first place.....

Back to Falwell, reason why I typed it that way? The world would most likely be better off without him. Anyone who claims that those who do not follow his beliefs allowed 9-11 to happen does not deserve any sympathy from me and will only get a good round of "Good riddance" once they are gone.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I remember getting banned from one prop-makers forum for saying "one down, Thatcher to go" when Reagan made the world a better place by leaving it. All these wingnuts who not long before had been gloating happily over the deaths of Uday and Qusay were now all "Oh, how can you say such horrid things, the death of anyone is a great tragedy no matter what you think of them."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Raven:
Taking pleasure in someone's death, no matter who it is, is pretty sick.

I'd imagine that depends on the kind of pleasure and what you think happens (or could happen) to a person at death. [Wink]

But to get rid of people ("one down"), I'd rather not. Too anti-personalist for my taste. [Smile]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A perspective you may not have considered.

I don't have his life story in detail, but from what I can find, I have no reason to consider him a great man to be missed. This man made Christianity look bad. He was a loud, well known voice in the USA, and he used that voice to damage his God's reputation. He made the job of the Church that much harder, having to make up for his mistakes.

But I still take no pleasure in his death. Regardless of how badly he may have acted, he was still my brother.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the "Brother" comnment is not literal.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual, The Onion has some fine things to say on the matter...

And just to try to make my sentiment (and others' here, it seems) as clear as possible: we're not celebrating his death, but simply his absence. When you consider that all life affects all other life in some way, it's sad when one of those lives ends, but it's simply the natural way of things. (In this case, anyway; if he had been murdered by some nutcase, this would be an entirely different conversation, and I would never condone that.)

Considering that Falwell spent his life preaching hatred and prejudice against other life, it's a sad but true fact that the world will be a better place without him. Or to put it (yet) another way, I regret how he spent his life a whole heck of a lot more than I regret his death.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Exactly.

Now we wait for Robertson, Limbaugh, and Phelps to join him.

Although for the "murdered by a nutcase" scenario, I'm ambivalent to how I would respond in that circumstance.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole life is precious thing is na�ve in my view. What is precious about a life that is evil, or that is hatemongering (small difference), or that murders another (smaller difference)? I don't regret that person's death. Everyone does die. It's just a cycle. Things live and die. If a certain evil person's death comes sooner than maybe it should, I'm not going to cry about it.

And the man was evil. Not as evil as other men you could name, but hatemongering, intolerant, poisoning, hurtful, and wishing to cause others harm. That's still evil.

And MinutiaeMan, very well put and I agree completely.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
...he used that voice to damage his God's reputation.

Golly, God should really speak up and do something about that.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, he did. Or hadn't you noticed that the man is dead now? I'd call that God having the last laugh.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God punished him by letting have a long life? He died an old man, Perry.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that a big fat dude who apparently stresses out about a lot really ought to have died younger. If one were to postulate any sort of divine intervention, one would almost have to assume the man's life had been unnaturally extended.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Maybe it wasn't God he was working for... [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loki?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That mischievous bastard...oughta stay in Ysgard where he belongs. Interfering here in our Christian decency. snrk..
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps