Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it...

Author Topic: Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and those who do not learn history correctly are simply doomed.

I've got exactly one reason why this proposal to emulate the long-term force in Korea is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Korea was a traditional war between nations, with a defined border. The troops that are there now are nothing more than a deterrent against renewed hostilities. And the fighting was over by the time it was decided the troops needed to stay.

How, pray tell, is any of this similar IN ANY FUCKING WAY to Iraq? */me sighs, shakes head*

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we calling this an occupation yet, or is it still a liberation?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Somehow, I don't think this is supposed to be in the contests forum...)
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless, TSN just won the prize!

To be honest, the US as the world police is a concept that makes me laugh. They will never win over the Iraqi people, and nor can they apply the concepts from the Korean war to this. The only thing in common is that they are both effectivly civil wars.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beg to differ. Iraq was not a civil war, it was an invasion. NOW its a civil war, of course, but it wasn't to begin with...I'm really just tired of hearing about it and I look forward to the day there's something else on the news. It's all you hear about over here.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Iraq was not a civil war until we went in and kicked all the anthills over. However, in fairness, all of this conflict and hatred was always there, it was just squelched by Hussein and his cronies. (Of course, that makes it all the worse for Bush, because they should've known before they went in.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, poor Apghanistan is the neglected stepchild in the (cough) War on Terror.
After all, just because the Taliban was actively training terrorists does not mean that we should concentrate our efforts there- not when there are other lands to invade.

Speaking as someone with a cousin serving in Iraq now (why he joined up is beyond me), I'm not voting for anyne that follows the current murky "maybe there for years" theory of "nation building" in the most corrupt country on the planet.

Literally billions have just....vanished in reconstruction money with no real effort put into tracking it down- it's embarrasing after all.

Fuck, if we invade anyone else, it should be our pals in Pakistan- it's where everyone agrees Bin Laden and the gang are hiding out- we can call it "manuvers" and leave the military regime in place. it wont be an invasion- we wont have to rebuild anything (as our targets are mostly in tents and caves, I guess) and if we blow the hell out of the middle of nowhere, no one should bitch.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to defend (or even to criticize) our latest plan B here, but it is clear from news reports that they mean Korea in the "U.S. troops stationed there essentially forever" sense, not the "partition the country and guard the border" sense.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a better idea, we stop solving every damn problem with "Bomb the fuckers and throw troops at it." There *are* more effective ways. The only time a military invasion is the best reaction is when you're stopping a military invasion.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Not to defend (or even to criticize) our latest plan B here, but it is clear from news reports that they mean Korea in the "U.S. troops stationed there essentially forever" sense, not the "partition the country and guard the border" sense.

Very true, but that doesn't mitigate the stupidity in the slightest. The US troops in Iraq will not be able to just sit on their hands and do their job just by being there, as in Korea. So my opinion is that the analogy does not apply, regardless.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem you are having is that you are not enjoying the spoon feeding being given you, for shame.

Jason, when did we start rebuilding the US?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After all, just because the Taliban was actively training terrorists does not mean that we should concentrate our efforts there- not when there are other lands to invade.

It's the oil, stupid.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

But to be more specific, its not to get MORE oil, but to drive the oil prices up, for the profits to filter upwards into the hands of people like the Bush and Cheney families, and their good buddies the Saudi Royals.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:

It's the oil, stupid.

If that were the case, there are better targets, besides, I have yet to see how we'll ever see any of that oil: even if we decide Iraq has to pay some giant sum for our assistance in setting up their new government, the whole corruption angle negates our ever really seeing it as a favorable deal.
At minimum it would cost as much or more than just buying it from elsewhere (once you get into maintaining security and developing/maintaining the oil fields themselves).

It may well be that it was all about the oil, but it's certainly not what's keeping us there.

quote:
Jason, when did we start rebuilding the US?
A very good question: we could have a national healthcare system. brand new New Orleans and a new World Trade Center for what this fiasco has cost in money.

Am I the only one that is sick of bozos saying that the key to stabilizing Iraq and making the whole world peaceful is to resolve the Palestenian/ Israel conflict?
It's not as though any of the past peace agreements have ever been honored...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps