Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Introducing the Environmentally Friendly Hummer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Introducing the Environmentally Friendly Hummer
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS is hilarious in a sort of "Doom the Planet" sort of way. I would like to see an actual unbiased report that would show actual costs.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading about that too. I like what Dennis Miller said; the quicker we use up the oil the more necessary cheap alternative fuels will become. Using less gas just postpones the inevitable.

I like to think I'm contributing to progress by driving my gas guzzler [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
295 ft/lbs of torque isn't too shabby for an electric motor.

Ya, and the Prius is a goldmine, for the Toyota execs that is. The batteries cost over $10,000 and any damage to them (especially water damage) and the car has to be totally written off. Also, they only last for about three years I believe. Those cars are full of hidden costs that the buyer isn't aware of when he purchases the car.

Oh, and those cheap alternative fuels, when they become the mainstream how cheap do you think they'll be then?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scroll to the bottom of the article and read the reader's rebuttal. It is equally interesting.

It linked this article here, which is a cool story.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8839690/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hybrids suck. Diesels rule

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Diesels do indeed rule. Diesel fuel is just a hair under a dollar here, while gasolene fluctuates between $1.09 and $1.25. But it doesn't matter to me sine I ride a motorbike, and it only costs me $12 to fill my tank every week. Hahaha Suckers!

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laugh now but just wait until those cold cold prairie winters.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
Member # 528

That's what snowmobiles are for dude!

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At night, the ice-weasels come.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my day, we filled our tank up with hard work and determination!
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Laugh now but just wait until those cold cold prairie winters.

To clarify: Hybrids have a far worse time than diesels when it comes to cold weather. In many cases, the batteries in the hybrid do not perform well in cold weather situations. This means you burn more gas in the winter months as your batteries need time to warm them up.

Diesels on the other hand, do have a bit more noticeable diesel clatter in cold weather starting. This is why diesel engines have glowplugs to assist in the ignition of Diesel fuel. Diesel engines have no sparkplugs, they operate on the principle of compression-ignition. But the glowplugs are there to assist in cold weather starting, after a few minutes when the engine is warm, the glowplugs shut off.

I've had the pleasure of driving my friend's 2006 VW Jetta TDI. This vehicle moves like a dream. Sure, it's a little slow getting to 100 km/h or 60 mph, but it's the launch from zero that is the best part.

I'm waiting for the new 2008 Jetta TDI to come out. It's supposed to offer flavours of 140 hp and 170hp. All in all, it is designed to compete with gas engines that are 200 hp and 250 hp respectively. Now if only I could find a way to get rid of that blasted Chevy Cobalt.

Here is an article for you to consider.

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20070702_107047_107047

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting old.... Just last week we had to sell our 1994 Nissan Pathfinder (4WD) for a 2003 Honda Odyssey minivan. It's very nice, has good acceleration, and keeps the kids apart so they don't fight constantly, but it's a MINIVAN!!! *whimper*
Da_bang80
Member # 528

I've had the pleasure of driving a big honkin F-450 diesel truck as part of my job. I think I ran over a Geo Metro because there was this slight jolt that I can't explain. I don't much care for the sound diesels make, and I think I'd go crazy if I had to drive one for more than a couple hours.

But I just went to the local Yamaha dealership and I fell in love with a pewter '07 YZF-R6. It's a rare color the salesman told me, yeah ok...

It's $12,099 which is $400 less than the MSRP. And I can't get it out of my head.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know a lot about diesel vehicles, trust me. [Wink] My dad has an 06 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax. That thing goes like a bat out of hell. Very quick on acceleration (from any speed) and he can run faster at lower rpms than Dodges and Fords with their diesel offerings. Unfortunately he's only ever let me drive it in the driveway to move it (its his means of making a living, after all). I'm trying to get my mom to spring for a VW TDI when the lease is up on her Focus...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
Member # 528

The Focus is a really nice car. I always had the preconception that it was crap. Then I drove the sport model and damn that things mighty quick. Haven't had the chance to drive a VW yet since I work for a Ford dealership (I'm not a Ford guy so don't say a word [Razz] ). I know those big trucks have a shitload of power to lay the rubber to the road. But I don't like them because they're too big. There's all that mass to try to maneuver and all those blind spots that may hide something. Not to mention they're a bitch to squeeze through the garage door at work.

I got the chance to drive a Dodge Charger R/T, that thing really moves! And that 5 litre HEMI really sounds heavenly. And the colour! A rich deep blue. It's a rolling orgasm if there ever was one.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps